Card Dead at Micros

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What to do? What to do?

I have been on a completly card dead run. Maybe I'm expecting to much??

I just havent had any hands and its hard to bluff at micros...

What to do? Expect a loss for the night?

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In case of cold streak, I usually leave the table after losing 3 BB.

I

ilostmysoul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In case of cold streak, I usually leave the table after losing 3 BB.

3 orbits? :/ in my opinion that's kind of a high standard, even playing Full Ring. You will have to have some patience sometimes, because you will be getting some trash hands, or being forced into a fold with decent ones kind of often.

My advice is to have patience and leave as soon as you find yourself thinking "I'm sick of being here without getting good hands". As soon as you think that, your game will suffer, and you will start making stupid calls just to get action.

If you are a winning player, consider playing more than 1 table at a time. I would advice against Zoom though, at least for a while. Blind system is broken and you will get a 3bb raise every hand you play in.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why is theblind system broken at zoom?

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ended up making a mistake and losing the whole buying. 9-max table-I had Ad10d and I 4x from EP, I get a reraise of exactly the double my raise and I call.

The board comes 8c Kc Ah, I bet about 1/3 the pot and villain re raises me a nice healthy raise. Now i'm thinking he could have AK, KQ, AJ, KJ, GJ, A8 or any pocket pair. I decide to call just to see what he does on the turn.

The turn hits another Ace. so the board is now 8c, Kc,Ah, As... Now Im pot committed and to add a little tilted as well (from being card dead). Im thinking he is almost less likely now to have an Ace. I check and he makes another healthy bet and I call. the river hits Qc and villain shoves.

The board is now 8c, Kc,Ah, As, Qc

For some reason I knew he didn't have a flush. I felt that AK was more likely but I was a tilted and pot committed with my set and I call. He shows me AQ.

I left the table. Then I couldn't sleep feeling like a loser. its the worst way to go to bed.

Last edited:
H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't be opening ATdd from EP at 9-max because you don't want to play this hand OOP (as yesterday's result proved).

Fold pre and save your money.

-HooDooKoo

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You shouldn't be opening ATdd from EP at 9-max because you don't want to play this hand OOP (as yesterday's result proved).

Fold pre and save your money.

-HooDooKoo

So is it ok to limp with this hand and call a preflop raise just to see the flop, If I get two pair, a flush or a straight on flop I could be very profitable. Is this the correct play if I decide to play this hand OOP? and continue to use math on my draws in case I dont hit... ?

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
So is it ok to limp with this hand and call a preflop raise just to see the flop, If I get two pair, a flush or a straight on flop I could be very profitable. Is this the correct play if I decide to play this hand OOP? and continue to use math on my draws in case I dont hit... ?

You should never open limp unless it's a weak, passive table with (generally) a lot of limpers, and I don't like calling a raise preflop from EP with ATdd unless there's at least four players in the pot --- and in that case you're playing for TOP two pair minimum or the flush or Broadway (the second two odds dependent).

Until you're a very good player, though, this hand is just going to get you in trouble, so I'd recommend folding pre.

Good luck.

-HooDooKoo

Last edited:
steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you continue to limp into pots in early position you will continue to lose money.. You should always be entering the pot with a raise otherwise you are just pricing in everybody else to call and they have position on you.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short periods of card deadness will exist, like for days even, but they will pass. What you are experiencing is a problem in your game, and how willing you are. Poker is after all, the willingness to get in the game. So you are not willing these days. Or the parameters of your 'willingness' are off balance.

I'll get shit for this, but my suggestion is play money ZOOM at stars, or Rush at FT. If you have the play money roll for it, you can find decent poker at 100/200 BI. You can get a lot of hands in in short order. Not sure how it works in PR, but here in the states we are limited to 2 zoom tables at a time. Still, that might equate to maybe 10 tables if you muti-table normal speed games. That is a guess, I haven't multi-tabled in a long time, and 2 tables of Zoom are a good workout.

You are working on your game, and your willingness to get in the game. The stakes won't matter. It could be micro real. What you want is to 'adjust' your approach to your own willingness.

Last edited:
yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Dj11, I will try you recommendations at Zoom play money. I ended up playing at Seal with Clubs with bitcoins for the rest of the night and ended up profitable at SWC. There was a guy shoving almost every hand lol. But I have to work on my game. Lately, I have been playing a lot of freerolls and have accumulated a baby bankroll from these sites(full flush, pay no rake, betonline, tiger gaming, intertops, duck poker, Acr, BlackChip) .

Yesterday was the first time I tried to play cash in a long time.

I usually play at bovada, they do have zone poker which is about the same right? But its hard with the anonymous players. I made a few binks at MTTs but I dont want to risk it at the cash tables.

I like playing at Seal with Clubs because I have accumulated Bitcoin money from a bunch of freerolls and I feel like since is not dollars, its less of a pressure.. if you know what I mean.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes Zone is the same as Zoom, or Rush. I did an impromptu comparison and Zoom was faster than Zone. Probably because the player pool is bigger at stars.

IMHO, playing bitcoins is probably about the same as play money. But I don't have any bitcoins. Nor am I looking to get any.

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes Zone is the same as Zoom, or Rush. I did an impromptu comparison and Zoom was faster than Zone. Probably because the player pool is bigger at stars.

IMHO, playing bitcoins is probably about the same as play money. But I don't have any bitcoins. Nor am I looking to get any.

Bitcoins have value, play money doesn't...

R

RodrigoCL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well card dead situations are very different whether you are playing cash or tournament. In cash there's not much to worry about since your stack won't suffer much. In tournaments and especially in turbos it is a different story. You can blind out quickly. So my particular strategy in the last scenario is to play as if I have a real hand. If it's folded to me I open raise standard any two and do a postflop play based on the caller(s) image. Here I play the opponent and not my holding. It pays off against tag players but it is not a good idea in multiway pots or against active players though. Playing thrash holdings the right way and against the right opponents mixes up my play and helps a lot when playing the strong hands as it helps being harder to read.

S

spazdm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would take a day break, or at the very least take a nap and sleep on it maybe that will clear all the bad mojo and potentially start a new day of normal luck. Either way take a break. And play the full flush freeroll tonight and maybe u will have better luck, with out losing money :)

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would take a day break, or at the very least take a nap and sleep on it maybe that will clear all the bad mojo and potentially start a new day of normal luck. Either way take a break. And play the full flush freeroll tonight and maybe u will have better luck, with out losing money :)

Completely agree and will do exactly that. :)

I play freerolls almost nightly. Betonline, Full Flush, and Intertops.

I have consistently make in ITM in one of them at least every other night.

I just need help playing the cash game as opposed to tourneys.
I dont want to lose whatever I make on the freerolls at the cash tables.

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

No, just fold. You're not going to hit enough to make it profitable. Remember, in order for AT to be profitable you have to flop:

A T blank (K, Q, J, and even a 9 are bad).

And your opponent has to have AJ+

So with only two aces left in the deck you need to hit both an Ace and a Ten. That's just not happening very frequently. And, 2 pair in multi-way pots isn't exactly a dream.

My recommendation is to balance your play. If you sit around waiting for only good cards you have a narrow and predictable range, which makes you exploitable and makes it hard to get paid off. Widen your calling AND 3-betting range when you have position.

Seriously, as stupid as it sounds, if I haven't played a hand in a couple of orbitz I'll 3-bet 9 3 off. 1/3 times I'll beat A K. And I have position and way more info than my opponent does. I can work bluffs, I can get value. And even if I lose, at least I'm not coming off as a straight-jacket tight player.

Mind you, I don't recommend doing this a lot. Just enough where you're not totally predictable. Keep the pot small unless you hit super hard. And go for folds, not show downs (obviously).

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Poker is after all, the willingness to get in the game.

So you are not willing these days. Or the parameters of your 'willingness' are off balance.

I'll get shit for this, but my suggestion is play money ZOOM at stars, or Rush at FT. If you have the play money roll for it, you can find decent poker at 100/200 BI. You can get a lot of hands in in short order.
You are working on your game, and your willingness to get in the game. The stakes won't matter. It could be micro real. What you want is to 'adjust' your approach to your own willingness.

This is all new stuff for me.... 'Poker is after all, the willingness to get in the game." I feel totally clueless :confused:

I'm pretty sure I am willing. But I'm not winning. I'm willing to win & willing to 'get in the game' (I think... but I'm not even really sure what that means?)

Could you please explain this concept further. I really feel as if I've been missing something all along because I've never heard of this willingness stuff before & it being what poker is.

I can understand how playing some ZOOM playchip tables could increase one's willingness to get into a real game. Although I guess playchip games can play out just like real money games as long as you have the willingness.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is all new stuff for me.... 'Poker is after all, the willingness to get in the game." I feel totally clueless :confused:

I'm pretty sure I am willing. But I'm not winning. I'm willing to win & willing to 'get in the game' (I think... but I'm not even really sure what that means?)

Could you please explain this concept further. I really feel as if I've been missing something all along because I've never heard of this willingness stuff before & it being what poker is.

I can understand how playing some ZOOM playchip tables could increase one's willingness to get into a real game. Although I guess playchip games can play out just like real money games as long as you have the willingness.

Looking to pick a fight eh? Not interested.

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
What to do? What to do?

I have been on a completly card dead run. Maybe I'm expecting to much??

I just havent had any hands and its hard to bluff at micros...

What to do? Expect a loss for the night?

Maybe try not just playing premiums? Just a suggestion lol

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take advantage of opportunities and be patient :)