BOOKS!

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, AG has at least 4 of those AG's library threads. That one is a bit dated and there have been lots of great books put out since that thread.

P

PokerDepth

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
These days your better off using poker training websites/browsing forums to improve your game than read books. The game has evolved a ton since those days.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
These days your better off using poker training websites/browsing forums to improve your game than read books. The game has evolved a ton since those days.
There's plenty of new books out there that are excellent (& some of the older ones would be highly recommended reading to a newer'ish' player imo, at least to get a handle on the game & to have something to build on).

Shamefully admit to presently owning over 25 poker books 'but' I've got a couple more on the 'Christmas Wish Lists' that I'm looking forward to reading.

billyjustin

billyjustin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read a couple poker books, but they have nothing to offer me. Only tell me stuff I already knew when i was a kid. Wanna read a book with something useful, read some patterson. Have an adventure

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've read a couple poker books, but they have nothing to offer me. Only tell me stuff I already knew when i was a kid. Wanna read a book with something useful, read some patterson. Have an adventure
Guess you read different ones (errr.. 'two') than me then.

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips

Serious here, what are ya'lls thoughts on this. It does seem this game keeps evolving and I also read some books and still do but when I first started playing I read books and then did the exact opposite of what the books said to do and it was only when I put my hands in forums did I start seeing major problems.

My one problem with books is the examples are way above the levels I will be playing for example look WT one hand at a time. We get games from the $3000 buy in at the belligio (or wherever) and Im like well that probably does work for you but the people in my $2 MTT might not be so quick to fold no matter what stregnth I show

BUt the flip side I have watched some trainging videos from Deeps Stacks and they also put you in scenerios live or online very high buy in MTTs so I dont know just curious what people thought books vs vids/forums

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You can find books that will discuss/review concepts that are applicable to any level. Also, on most of the training sites they also have vids. geared towards micro limits... some more than others. (there's actually one site where the majority of their vids. are for micros & low levels).

Not sure how thoroughly you read WPT- 1hand .. cuz I don't believe there were any HH's from Tourneys at Bellagio, lol ;) - - mostly MTT's $100+, although there are some from $10mmt, $25mtt & $50mtt.
In micro limits the majority of the players are soooo bad anyways that you just have to dumb it down & take them to valuetown.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Update on Books

Well I ordered 7 of the books from Aliengenius's post (had a couple of the others) bought used and paid about 25% of the new price including shipping.

Since you brought up training sites Humps posted :http://www.cardplayerpokerschool.com/
I took a look and it's a pretty nice site with quizes, if you complete all the quizes you get a 1 year subscription to Card Player magazine.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Updates

Ok I am just about finished with F&S Harker's Why You Lose At Poker and about 1/4 of Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. I decided that I'll give my opinions for those who are thinking about buying books.

Why you lose at poker I found to be an easy read with good insight into general players mind sets. It's not one that has to be carefully analyzed and painstakingly re-read in order to fully understand the concepts. It's a great first book but should be used in conjunction with a more game centered book (IE one written about a specific game for beginners). For the somewhat more advanced players it's a relaxing read with, perhaps, some useful information.

Little Green Book By all apperances, thus far, it seems to be a solid NLHE book and a good one to start with. Gordon's way to loose on his opening hands from certain positions for my tastes. Once I finish the first read (this is one that requires multiple reads of chapters) I'll write a more in depth critique.

I'll continue to write some more on other books I am or have read and I invite anyone who wants to also post their thoughts on Poker Books AND NO JAMES PATTERSON!:p

Last edited:
P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book

Finished the other day so here's the review:

Great book for those just starting to play HE, his style of play is geared towards tournements so his strategy is not the greatest for cash games. Also he plays higher limit games than micros and low limit stakes so employing his tactics could be unprofitable at those limits. LGB does give some pretty comprenshive statistics and starting hand range charts in the back. It's a good book to start with.

S

StillLearningMike

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thoughts on this book?

I didn't plan on posting my first day but my interest is piqued and I'd like to hear what you (collective you) have to say about Charley Swayne's "Advanced Degree in Hold'Em."
It may be a bit dense, I had to read it carefully, but what are your thoughts?

Mike

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well everybody...more books please
I asked for 1(2-3) for christamas, dunno what would be best for me
i play micro-low stake cash and many MTT games
thx for all suggestions

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually I have Crushing The Microstakes by Nathan Williams (AKA Blackrain79) and am about finished (4/5 way through). I am going to write a review but I am recomending it for the micro cash player as a must have especially if you have HEM. It's an e-book though.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
well everybody...more books please
I asked for 1(2-3) for christamas, dunno what would be best for me
i play micro-low stake cash and many MTT games
thx for all suggestions
I'd suggest getting as many of them as you can from the local library. If they don't carry them you'll still be able to get most via an 'inter-libary book loan' (& I know they carry most as I also live in B.C. & have had them send me books from all over the province.. ie. PrinceGeorge, Van., Burnaby library, Penticton, etc. etc.).
Not sure what you've read up to this point but for sure I'd read:
Harrington On Hold'em Vol.1 Tournament Play
Harrington On Holdem Vol.2 'End Game Play' (tournament).
... don't bother with Vol.3

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book

.. I've taken these three out from the library so I know you'll be able to get them too!!!

The Library will also carry Harrington On Cash (they have a copy in the Trail library now). Might as well read it too.

I'd also get 'Collin Moshmann's SNG Strategy'.(from Library if possible).
Phil Shaw's SNG Strategy is ok read too.

You'll be able to get pretty much any popular poker book from the B.C. libraries as long as it's copyright date is more than 1yr. old. (so basically anything from 2010 & older should be no problem). You can keep them for only 14days on the 'inter-libary loan' thingy.
I've probably taken out over 20 poker books from Trail library, most of them have been inter-library loans, some of them a few times for same book. (number of books from library might actually be over 30). You can get poker mags. from library too (at least here you can).
I've purchased ~25books as well (as well as the ones I've read from library). Not sure which ones to recommend though...
If you've read the ones listed above.. then I'd go with 'Winning Poker Tournaments - One Hand At A Time' Vol.1 & Vol.2 by Rizen, Pearljammer, & ApeStyles. These two books are Excellent for nlhe tournament play (although they're geared towards higher buyins, ie. $100+ online, the HH's in books are great reads & will give you great insight into how the top players are thinking while playing (there's ~200 hand histories in the book). To make it applicable for low buyins you'll obv. have to adjust (& likely dumby it down) depending upon villain(s). Still though, I don't think any of it would be wasted reading as it'll help to develop the intuitive process.
'Raiser's Edge' by Elky is supposed to be a good book too (for nlhe tournament play).. it's one book (tournaments) that I actually haven't read...'yet', lol.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book is a logical extension of Little Green Book going over hands played and reasoning behind decisions. I have only just started it but find the actual thought process aspect informative. Still Phil plays at higher stakes than micro and low limit (well $2/$5 NLHE in brick and morter is lowest but online is midlevel stakes) so his strategy is based on playing higher level thinkers or isolating fish against those better players.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Killer Poker by John Vorhaus

Next up for review is Killer Poker by John Vorhaus

This book reads more like a self help book for poker players than a strategy guide. The first hundred pages or so could have been condenced into about ten pages without all the "be a killer poker player" hype that really doesn't pan out into any real strategy. He does say "Try acting this way" or "Do this when playing this guy" but there is nothing truly earth shattering in his ideas. There is good information and ways to think about your game and how to analyze yourself. The book takes a weird tangent at the end going into anagrams for some strange reason. It's not a must have and not one to start off with, Why You Lose at Poker covers much of the same material and is written in a better way to explain personality types. All in all it's about self analysis and may get you thinking more about YOU the player which is never a bad thing.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
John Vorhaus' books taught me that I should've chosen different poker site names than I did.
[ ] buy it
[x] don't buy it

(that ^ is my review)

T

ThBonus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Best Poker Books:

1. Theory Of Poker

2. Elements of Poker

3. Crushing Small Stakes No Limit (E Book)

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theory is a bit advanced for those new to the game but one every serious player should read and reread, Elements is on my get list.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Theory of Poker, Harrington 1 and 2 with 2 being the choice if only buying 1 of the 2. Jeff Hwang's book on Omaha, Big pot Strategy.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thank you all very much
ty hillbilly, that def might be the best choice
and ty PO, lotta good picks and advise im sure,will try library again too
ty potluck,jazz and bonus too
im doing some long overdue reading this winter:)