Bankroll from nothing these days.

B

bloodvodka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone offer best tips on building from nothing these days? I was playing the steps for 1$ six months back and took a break.

Obviously most freerolls that do not have sponsors are near impossible. So I focus my time on pokerowned. I realise cardschat has a freeroll group but I honestly do not feel I have a lot to add which would constitute the minimum posts.

Regardless I am trying. Any advice or directions to pursue?

Thankyou in advance.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your skill level, if you are decent then you can play freerolls until you get maybe 10$ and then go to 2NL and just grind it up. It will take a while though.

Tournaments are more swingy so the risk is bigger but if you get lucky then I guess it is quicker.

I took the freerolls + 2NL route and it worked well.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would also suggest putting in the time/commitment to contributing to the forum. It will help improve your game, plus being a part of the CC freeroll club will be a huge help to the bankroll. That is how I got my bankroll started

A

ak725

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play micro mtt. there are a lot on pokerstars. y have won many times the 990 player mtt with 2c buyin. first prise 4$.

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started on Pokerstars I joined their Poker School and they had some kind of cool promotion that helped you build a bankroll and learn some stuff about poker along the way. I think they still offer that option for new members.
I'm starting from the scratch now again, so if I were you I'd also try to meet the requirement of CC freeroll club. It's a great opportunity for all of us to play decent freerolls without all the donks and also build the bankroll. Another option is to keep playing freerolls, but it takes a lot of self-control and certain amount of luck, too. PS doesn't offer that many freerolls, but I found quite good rebuy freerolls in 'regional' section. Maybe they offer some tourneys for your country as well.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just deposit ~$40 and save yourself a whole world of pain.

B

bloodvodka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well unfortunately im in America. So the pokerstars option is not an option. As for depositing. I dumped a significant amount of $ over the past year. My only way to mentally separate was to vow never to put another dime into poker. So freerolls only. And with proper BRM and some time, I can truly test myself.

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh i got confused, because your info in the corner says you play at: pokerstars ;) then i guess stick to freerolls on the site where you play and try to qualify for CC freeroll club.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are still a fair amt of freerolls out there, and the forum money added games cant be beat

gl

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh i got confused, because your info in the corner says you play at: pokerstars ;) then i guess stick to freerolls on the site where you play and try to qualify for CC freeroll club.
You guys can also check out the new social media promotion cardschat is getting going whereby you could get your way into freerolls without being a member of the freeroll club. Check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your skill level, if you are decent then you can play freerolls until you get maybe 10$ and then go to 2NL and just grind it up. It will take a while though.

Tournaments are more swingy so the risk is bigger but if you get lucky then I guess it is quicker.

I took the freerolls + 2NL route and it worked well.

I agree with this. It is much easier to profit by playing cash. However, it does seem like a bunch of people at CC prefer tournaments though, for whatever reason.

Just deposit ~$40 and save yourself a whole world of pain.

I agree with this also. Easy-peezy-japaneezy.

Also, as someone else said, spend some time here on CC. I can honestly say since I became a member, my game has improved 10x.

Even if you feel you have no advice to offer, you do not have to advise to accumulate posts here on CC. Just jump in, start reading, and offer your 2 cents when applicable. You will learn alot.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you learn and discipline yourself to play a half-decent TAG game, you can beat entry level ring games and tournaments. You won't crush them until you improve beyond that, but beating them isn't that hard. Going the cash game route is likely to have less variance, but I suggest you simply play what you prefer.

C

CubsnBearz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually am trying to do the same thing. There is a promotion at an online poker school called Card Player that actually offers 5 $1.10 sit-n-go/tourney tickets on Carbon Poker. Since you are an American, this is an opportunity to get a bankroll started without putting in a dime of your own money. I've been trying to grind it out on micro stakes now that I've used all my tickets. We'll see how it goes.

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This forum is your way to go:

2x $150 freerolls on Full Tilt every week
2x $100 freerolls on PokerStars every week
1x $1000 freeroll on PokerStars if you were able to get 100 VPPs previous month (monthly)
1x $300 freeroll on partypoker every week
1x $100 freeroll on 888 every week.

If you would maintain in most of these freerolls, your bankroll should be building up no problem.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This forum is your way to go:

2x $150 freerolls on Full Tilt every week
2x $100 freerolls on PokerStars every week
1x $1000 freeroll on PokerStars if you were able to get 100 VPPs previous month (monthly)
1x $300 freeroll on PartyPoker every week
1x $100 freeroll on 888 every week.

If you would maintain in most of these freerolls, your bankroll should be building up no problem.

There is also an ACR, BCP, Carbon and full flush freeroll each week as well on sat, tuesday, wednesday, Monday respectively.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think you are good and you want to save a lot of time, then deposit few bucks and start playing. If you dont want to deposit for some reason I recommend Pokerschoolonline leaderboards on PS. You can win nice prize in those leaderboards, but it will take you at least 1 month.

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play private freerolls. Don't go out giving passwords away or anything. Just sign into whatever you can. then once you get around 30.00 you can play 1.50. do that until you get enough to move up a buy in. thats what im aiming to do along with playing a mtt on sundays. I think the thing that works in poker is the thing outside of poker such as time management, study, day to day balance.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can afford to deposit, and are going the freeroll route, then anything you win should , and this just so obvious to me, be used to buy in to small stakes MTT's or SnG's. You got the freeroll cash in a tourney, and to take it to a very foreign ring game thinking you got any ring game chops is absurd (to me).

It certainly is not like the good old days, when we could find freerolls galore, and maybe even be playing many at the same time, but it can still happen. WPN (ACR and BCP) still have freerolls on demand, which is about as close to 'all the freerolls you could want' that some old players, like me, had the good fortune to enjoy.

But KNOW THIS! The ring game sharks are waiting and will take your freeroll winnings in a heartbeat. SnG's will serve you much better. At least in SnG's you can generally get a decent amount of enjoyment for playing with those freeroll winnings. If you are still playing the freeroll route, and have refused to deposit, then you ARE NOT READY for ring games.

DO NOT TAKE THIS as some admittance that ring game players are better. They play the game with a totally different mindset, like they can rebuy over and over till they show some profit. That is what you don't want to deal with for a long time. Your tourney mindset is about survival in the here and now, and theirs is about profit over a very long time.

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The site poker770 has a lot of Freeroll tournaments where you can win not only money but also the tournament tickets for expensive tournaments.

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just basic freerolls generally have very bad value. Some sites offer some € / $ no-depos, but they've become increasingly rare. But if you even have $20 / €20 to spare you can find a handful of sites which will instantly double you deposit (ofc you have to play there a bit to get it out) with which you can start playing small games with decent bankroll management.

Just my 2 cents: Stay away from Stars.com. There are many better places around pokerworld for small stakes players.

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone offer best tips on building from nothing these days? I was playing the steps for 1$ six months back and took a break.

Obviously most freerolls that do not have sponsors are near impossible. So I focus my time on pokerowned. I realise cardschat has a freeroll group but I honestly do not feel I have a lot to add which would constitute the minimum posts.

Regardless I am trying. Any advice or directions to pursue?

Thankyou in advance.

CC has alot here to offer.(not just freerolls)
I tried a few other forums and took liking to 1 or 2 but honestly Cardschat has the best freeroll game.
May not run as many freerolls as some sites but the poker is legit!
I learned alot here about online poker and poker in general.
wish I stayed put longer.
I absorbed alot of knowledge thru playing here and like I said the poker is always legit.
I just started playing a few other sites and seen CC has games there aswell.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Carbon Poker is offering Supersonic Freerolls at 9 pm EDT for the month of September. The are 4 seat tables with 2 minute levels. I'll try it out tonight.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can also get some NDB from 888 or Fulltilt just to names a few.

Crash0veride

Crash0veride

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Win freerolls to get atleast $10-$20 in your bankroll then just play the micro stakes cash games. Nothing fancy only play good hands and you will notice a lot of people will call with mediocre hands or trying to hit a flush. Takes time but if you play smart you will build it up no problem.

Crash0veride

Crash0veride

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Carbon Poker is offering Supersonic Freerolls at 9 pm EDT for the month of September. The are 4 seat tables with 2 minute levels. I'll try it out tonight.

The Carbon super sonic freerolls just changed to 8pm central time. They go really fast 3k people and they only take 1-2 hours, fastest freerolls I've ever played in.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management