Bankroll Management Problem Any Assistance..

xmarus91

xmarus91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a very good card player but the problem I always run into I let it get to my head and play a big-buy here and there I win win then lose and lose.. I realized my problem is not that i'm bad at playing cards but I'm bad at bankroll management. What do I need to do whats a good system to build my bankroll thanks for any advice.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It seems like you know what you should be doing. You just don't have the discipline to stick to it. No one can teach you discipline.

I guess I could repeat the standard "don't buy-in with more than 2%-5% of your total bankroll" line here. But, I assume you know that. Maybe put some "punishment" in place if you decide to play over your head. Maybe all winnings played above the appropriate stakes go to a trusted friend to hold for a minimum of 3 months (or maybe until you grow your bankroll to be appropriate for the limits you won the money at). Then you're stuck with there being no benefit to playing. If you win, you can't use the money. If you lose, you have no money.

dooydoo

dooydoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like having 50bi per level in cash games. That is more of a buffer than most people but it makes me feel very comfortable.

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the same problem I have, but I didn't know about the buyin with 2%-5% of your BR that will actually help with knowing what is to big.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure how easy it is to deposit and withdraw on Bovoda but you could start withdrawing a % of your roll every week or month into a dedicate bank account so you keep a certain amount of buyins for your level. If you feel ready to move up a level you can add some more funds.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not sure how easy it is to deposit and withdraw on Bovoda but you could start withdrawing a % of your roll every week or month into a dedicate bank account so you keep a certain amount of buyins for your level. If you feel ready to move up a level you can add some more funds.

You get one free withdrawal a month. So it might be better to do this on a monthly basis. Bovada does charge a vig to deposit, though. So, this would be a costly option no matter what.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You get one free withdrawal a month. So it might be better to do this on a monthly basis. Bovada does charge a vig to deposit, though. So, this would be a costly option no matter what.

Yeah that sucks, guess it has to be good ole will power!

xmarus91

xmarus91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea im going to try that if I want to play at the 5.00 stakes im going to deposit 500.00

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondered if this 100bi rule is if you are reliant on poker for an income ?..I dont see why you need $1000 to play a10nl game..

M

Mursilis1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether you are a good card player or a not so good one. Make your limits and stick to them. If you break the limits you set it is a phsycological problem and I would suggest reading "your worst poker enemy".
It explains why people do these things and offers a lot of good advice.
GL with your BR mgmt.:)

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe your problem isn't actually a BR management problem. Do you see the amount you have loaded onto a site (or that you take with you to a live game) as all the money you intend to put towards poker for an extended amount of time? Or, do you operate under the premise that if you lose this amount you can always load more? In other words, is the amount you are calling your BR really your BR when deciding which stakes to play?

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management