Balancing patience and aggression

TheDuke177

TheDuke177

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I've only very recently decided to get serious about developing my skills at playing poker. I feel my understanding and abilities have grown a lot in the last month or so, but I seem to have problem with finding an appropriate amount of aggression to play with. When I first started, I was a very passive player, but since I've been reading lots of books and articles, I've been trying to adopt a more aggressive style, which was working well at first but I think I got carried away at some point along the line.

My main issue seems to be finding an appropriate balance between playing a tight aggressive game, and playing like a crazed kleptomaniac. I know that, opponents, position, and timing are main factors to consider when attempting to steal the blinds, or snag a pot, but is there a "optimal" frequency to be making these attempts? Constantly worrying about if I'm being aggressive enough, and trying not to appear too tight or weak seems to be messing with my patience, and I find myself making plays that are more reckless than usual.

I usually play microstakes, and I know a lot of people say that ABC poker is the way to go here. Am I overthinking things too much at this level?

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Solution

The issue you have is very common among a lot of players. You are worrying too much about what you are doing and what gear you need to be playing at, which is not a bad thing but if you put more effort into what your opponent's trying to do and adjust your gears i think you'll find an improvement. This task will be much easier if you play one or two table rather than playing at multiple tables.

It is not easy to do and you'll find yourself being reckless or overcautious every now and then but practice, practice and practice. That is the only way to get better and don't worry about making mistakes along the way. :shot:

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the biggest mistake that most new players make is playing too hands. Poker is supposed to be a game of action, so it's our nature to want to be in as many hands as possible, but doing so will cost you.

As for playing tightly, that's the best way to begin. Play a T/A game and sharpen your skills, then you'll learn to open up as you become more comfortable, especially IP.

But you're right. Patience is key ;) Wait for your premiums and then exploit ;)

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are too aggressive, it may be possible for your opponents to wait for premium hands.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you playing Cash Or MTT's because the answer to the question may vary.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hard to explain, but most of the time, need to adjust through your experience.
cos you play with people -- which both side could do the magic.
therefore, the one with better experience would gain advantages.
just play more and balance and handling with your own experience.
:D:D:D

crusinnn

crusinnn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hard to explain, but most of the time, need to adjust through your experience.
cos you play with people -- which both side could do the magic.
therefore, the one with better experience would gain advantages.
just play more and balance and handling with your own experience.
:D:D:D

Yes I would say experience too. Before you improve your skill(reading/learning) you were accustomed to play a certain way now with all the new things you learned your brain is taking its time to process them when playing. The solution is experience , you have to play more so your brain can apply those things you learnt to each appropriate situation. This happens to me to, sometimes I can't just focus on the game , my brain and thought is processing everything one time especially when the pressure is on. I find time and experience helps. Good luck

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knowing the proper balance of aggression comes down to one thing, and one thing only imho: Knowing how to properly player type.

When you can categorize and understand your opponents game and strategy, you'll understand why you should be triple barreling, turning small made hands into bluff, or giving up. You'll also know how to set up your opponents, use their aggression against them in the right spots.

That's the only way to keep the proper balance is to have some insight into what kind of player you're against, and how to properly exploit that player. I do have a free book that includes some of this. You're welcome to check it out. :)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To expand on what John A said, the question here is, like many others in poker, not one that has a one size fits all answer. The proper balance is different against different opponents. It also depends on your ability to ramp your aggression up or down without getting far enough outside your comfort zone that you're no longer playing your A game. .

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing the proper balance of aggression comes down to one thing, and one thing only imho: Knowing how to properly player type.

When you can categorize and understand your opponents game and strategy, you'll understand why you should be triple barreling, turning small made hands into bluff, or giving up. You'll also know how to set up your opponents, use their aggression against them in the right spots.

That's the only way to keep the proper balance is to have some insight into what kind of player you're against, and how to properly exploit that player. I do have a free book that includes some of this. You're welcome to check it out. :)

To expand on what John A said, the question here is, like many others in poker, not one that has a one size fits all answer. The proper balance is different against different opponents. It also depends on your ability to ramp your aggression up or down without getting far enough outside your comfort zone that you're no longer playing your A game. .

The proper balance is different against different opponents.
Totally agree with both :)

GGC2912

GGC2912

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I've only very recently decided to get serious about developing my skills at playing poker. I feel my understanding and abilities have grown a lot in the last month or so, but I seem to have problem with finding an appropriate amount of aggression to play with. When I first started, I was a very passive player, but since I've been reading lots of books and articles, I've been trying to adopt a more aggressive style, which was working well at first but I think I got carried away at some point along the line.

My main issue seems to be finding an appropriate balance between playing a tight aggressive game, and playing like a crazed kleptomaniac. I know that, opponents, position, and timing are main factors to consider when attempting to steal the blinds, or snag a pot, but is there a "optimal" frequency to be making these attempts? Constantly worrying about if I'm being aggressive enough, and trying not to appear too tight or weak seems to be messing with my patience, and I find myself making plays that are more reckless than usual.

I usually play microstakes, and I know a lot of people say that ABC poker is the way to go here. Am I overthinking things too much at this level?

Brother, I lack patience and my pot of agression is full :p
I know, one day, I will be where you are today....so thanks in advance for making this thread lol :ridinghor