Any rules for going all in?

M

mrbiggles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming you do not have any information on the opponent....

Is there a reasonable rule for going all in post flop?

I am beginning to form my own in that unless I have 3 of a kind minimum then I will fold to an all in bet in the first half to 3/4 of a MTT.

Is this a reasonable proviso?

I have found I am getting raped when going all in especially when I have 2 pairs, they always seem to get beaten.

I do OK pre flop because I rarely go all in - only when I have a shortage of chips & it would be a sliding scale from AA down.

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dependant on reads ,type of player ,stack sizes etc ......scorp

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Assuming you do not have any information on the opponent....

Is there a reasonable rule for going all in post flop?

Don't overplay your hand. You will often only get called when you're beat (trips vs two pair etc), and you will chase away worse hands that may have paid off a more reasonable bet.

S

somersetlad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
opponents reads, their Aggression Factor in total. Stack sizes

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you have to vary your plays not to be read.

But overall, dont overplay your hand postflop as mentioned above.

M

mrbiggles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah the classic "it depends" answer.

I suppose if there was a clear cut answer like I was hoping then it would be boring.

Thanks for the replies.

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in is the last thing to do, when you dont have more things to do

B

bluejay2220

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems people push all in when they are scared, to scare off oppenents. Personally, I find that to be a bad move, but it happens. There are other variables to go all in which other posters covered, just avoid the scared push.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are having AA and another player went all in you are to win the hand almost every time and I will call.

If more players are all in I could fold AA even though pot odds tells me to call.

But anyway You can not win a tournament without going all in at some points.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't have any information on your opponent you should rely on your instincts on whether you feel it is right to make a certain move at any given point during a hand. The way the hand was played till that point will play a significant role in your decision making of future course of action in the hand. So it is important to have good skills plus you got to act on the first instincts because i find that they are right a good percentage of the time. :icon_stud

C

ChipsOwnerRO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how many opponents you have, what information you have about them, if your stack allows you to go all-in (surely, if you have AA you'll go all-in if someone makes a big raise before your action). If your opponents play tight is better for you to don't go all-in, but if you see that they play loose, you can go all-in with strong hands like AA, KK vs AK suited.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going all-in is good tool when you you are in good position to steal the blinds from a weak opponents.

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes it is called ICM. your only going all in if your shortstacked, to steal blinds , or trying to bluff your opponent to fold. or hes putting you all in for the same reason

G

goodhandluke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only do it on a hand you can live with being knocked out of the tourney with, or losing your cash.

Rain92

Rain92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a strong hand why not? Definately have to do it at some point you can never be too safe in poker.

Poker Rules - Poker Games