8 Tips for poker players who want to improve their game

R

Retina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone! This "guide" is designed for players who wish to become poker pros as I have a main job, but they are serious about poker. The decision to quit your job and make a living playing poker is individual and depends on many circumstances, so I can't give any advice that influence your decision. But I can share a few tips on how to balance the day job and play poker. I'm more years playing poker, working 9-10 hours a day, visiting the gym, leading an active social life and doing work around the house. It was difficult, but I firmly believed that nothing is impossible when you love your work.
Read on...​

1. Study, study and study again: when you work all day, still not much time for poker. The main mistake is that many people spend more time playing than learning. But the truth is that if you do not devote enough time to review their hands, watching training videos, and analysis of complex situations, you will never reach that level, which will allow you to get enough profit to make poker their main source of income.

2. Swings: make sure you understand variance and don't be discouraged by short-term unsuccessful results. If you work all day, it is almost impossible to play a decent number of hands, and a small sample is not a good indicator to assess your current winrate. If you play only 30-40K hands per month, this is quite normal, if you have months without income or with a small drawdown bankroll. Always try to get a more global picture.

3. Don't play tired: when you play at the Micros, each session must wear training purposes. But you will not learn anything if you play mindlessly like a robot after a hard day; even if you are lucky, if you lose a few buy-ins, taking hasty decisions. If you feel tired, a little sleep instead to sit at the table, and after a rest, you can start the game.

4. Get a support group: many people believe that playing online poker is a lonely occupation. But for me it was an opportunity to meet amazing people, without whom I would never have achieved absolutely nothing. During your poker career you will sometimes chiltomate, to doubt their own abilities and need advice from more experienced players, so I highly recommend that you participate in poker forums or create with friends and like-minded people chat in Skype.

5. Keep hobby: preferably one that allows you to stay away from the computer, for example: sports, drawing, baking, learning new languages, or something else, what do you most is the soul. Poker is great, but do not sacrifice love for the sake of additional Grinda, otherwise you will feel that you have two jobs and you will burn away. Enjoy your free time, you deserve it!

6. Family and friends: sometimes on weekends I go to his hometown to stay with relatives; they know nothing about poker and for me this is a great opportunity to escape from the gaming tables. After returning I feel energized and ready to return to the whales.

7. Quality over quantity: if you work all day, assuming you don't set myself targets. They will only add to your discomfort and create a stressful situation, and you will finish the session, demonstrating his worst game. You should be focused primarily on the process of learning to improve their skills in playing poker. Do not try to chase the quantitative results that demonstrate the players for whom poker is the main source of income. You need to accept the fact that you will move in a slightly different pace. Poker is a marathon, not a sprint; patience and hard work will lead you to the inevitable success!

8. Enjoy! Do you remember why he started to play poker? Because it was fun! When you play poker to make a living, it's easy to forget. Try to always keep in mind the fact that you are a poker player, because you love this game. In order to succeed in poker, it is necessary to work hard, to have the correct mindset and interest, and you never will if you don't love what you do. As said by Steve jobs: "you have to study where you belong with great enthusiasm. Otherwise, you will not have enough forces to finish the job"

Thank you all! I hope someone of my tips will be very helpful. Looking forward to Your feedback and comments! :top::cool:

Top 10 Games Poker Tips