T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 25/16/1

Table 5 Sit Go (249725593) Table 1 (real money)
Seat 9 is the button
Seat 2: desman11 ( $5691.00 USD )
Seat 4: Tangerine 53 ( $3700.00 USD )
Seat 8: zac131 ( $2059.00 USD )
Seat 9: MAG_10JQKA ( $2050.00 USD )
desman11 posts small blind [$100.00 USD].
Tangerine 53 posts big blind [$200.00 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Tangerine 53 [ Td As ]
Seat 8 and Seat 9 fold. Villain in seat 2 (chip leader) raises to 600. Previously he raised to 400, I shoved and he folded. I have AT offsuit and I'm a clear second in chips with the other two playing few hands and very passive. Thoughts welcome as to my best play here

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's an easy shove BvB, although if effective stacks were a bit deeper you could flat here sometimes.

Villain having a hand here from time to time doesn't make it a bad shove.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snap fold.

if he's half decent thinking player you can min-raise and fold to a 4bet.

this isn't a easy shove because we have the bubble factor to deal with. we're shoving into the biggest stack at the table, for very little gain in terms of equity. also, this guy is only raising 16% of hands. i know that figure is obviously skewed as this is later in the tournament, without reads in game this is impossible to guess. he might be raising everytime on the sb, which is what a lot of good players do with a big stack. since we can't define a range without a lot more info from the op, i'll leave it alone. Before you say it, his range does affect things, it affects the icm i'm about to go through. i'd say for this to be a shove he would have to be raising wider than 80% and calling less than 10% of hands, even then it would be iffy as we are gaining nothing really in terms of equity. our hand is strong, and also likely ahead of most villians range here, but our hand value shrinks as the bubble factor gets higher, so we need a much stonger hand when we're taking a risk.

in these situations on the bubble, the medium stack is always the one who needs to be the most risk averse. you can group the chip stacks up, its called 'stack grouping' and it's used to get a better idea when it comes bubble time. in this situation, we have one chip leader who has many more chips than anyone else. he is group 1, he has no stack rival, and can be very aggressive because of that. we are the middle stack here, we have more than the other two players, but not as much as the cl, we have to be very risk averse vs the cl as he is the only one who can knock us out, but we also have to be wary of the others stacks, as one lost pot will send us to the bottom of the chip count, so that makes us group 2. group 3 as you might work out is the two shortest stacks, they have equal stacks, they can be looser than group 2, as they need the chips to survive but they will have to be risk averse vs the bigger stack where possible.

just to do one more example of stack grouping. lets say stacks are 5000, 3000, 2000,500. the 5k stack doesnt care about anyone. the 3k stack is wary of everyone. the 2k stack is also quite wary of everyone, the 500 stack doesnt give a shit. So you see how the middle stacks are kind of forced sometimes to wait it out. this example here is kind of clear cut as there is a very short stack in play, but hopefully you get the idea of how this works.

one last thing i'd like to add, it has to do with table dynamics. there are times when we need to 3bet here or make shoves that could even possibly be -$ev. we make that -$ev shove because it will lead to better situations for the future of the tournament. Lets look at this example, lets say we know the SB chip leader, he is a good player who is very aggressive late in the game from all postions and likes to use his stack to bully shorter stacks, he especially likes to bully us, because he knows we are thinking about the game and he knows we need to be risk averse at the table. the other two players are really bad, and make loose calls because they do not know better.

lets sit back and look at the table dynamic here, this is really hard for me to explain without a diagram, so i'm going to post a very artistic ms paint diagram for you. the table dynamic is a bad one for us in the future context of this game. we will have two loose cannons who we cannot shove really wide on later when the blinds increase, they will call too much, forcing us to tighten our shoving ranges. basically we're not going to be gaining chips from them as much because they are loose. we also have a good player, who will not give up shoving and raising us from the sb, and also likely the button. so we're never getting a walk from the blinds unless we change something.

this is obviously an easy example, but table dynamics play a huge role in stt. in that above situation, we can then go against our teachings of icm, happily take a -ev situation, and shove on him, to improove our chip stack situation, but also to show that we are not going to take his shit all tournament long. we can also 3bet/shove him when he adjusts to our bvb aggression by picking off his button raises.

just to give some cold hard math here. have to do this maually since i dont have any of my old graphs or my version of sng wiz anymore. but basically i'm using an online icm calculator to see how much we're actually gaining here, not in terms of chips, but in terms of equity. equity is what we're concerned with in sngs until we reach heads up, once we reach heads up we dont care anymore.

numbers here are what their stack is worth, compared to the prize pool, which adds up to only 50% because thats all you can win....
co - 18.933%
button- 19%
sb-34.190%
Mr tangerine-27.877%

ok so thats before the hand played above.

if we shove here, and get away with it barring anything else happening (all of which sng wizards algorithm deals with)

cutoff and button stay the same

sb-32.548%
mr tangerine-29.712%

so a 2% gain to our stack, but more importantly, a 2% loss to villians stack. this actually worked out to be more than i would have thought. it's still not enough to risk shoving our whole stack over though. unless we know he will raise wide and fold lots, then just fold.

hope this rambling post helps. if you want me to run it through SNG wizard i can, but it will take a few days to get the developer to send me through a code.

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ops, heres the diagram talking about table dynamics. just to help picture it, we are going to have a hard time raising the co and button as they are loose (just an example, if the op posts actual info on real villians ill happily talk about that table dynamic) and the sb will always give us a hard time bvb, and in general from raising in LP. think about the table dynamics, when you are unsure about a hand or you think it's close, and you stack dynamic is bad, make the shove.

(lol, my 3k post milestone is a dodgy picture in ms paint)

Attachments

• piccciessssssssssssss.jpg
    piccciessssssssssssss.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 70
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just wanted to confirm how much 2% actually is worth here. lets look at one last example that i wanted to look at for my own good, as i'm really rusty at this game.

Lets say we're on the button and we raise vs big stacked player who is in the bb, and with one of the shortstacks in the sb, with blinds again at 100/200. so basically a simple steal.

using the same example as before
big stack-34.19%
mr tangering-27.87%
shortie-19%
other shortie- 18.933

after we raise to 500 and win the blinds.

big stack-33.677
mr tangerine-29.050
shortie19.052
other shortie- 18.221%

so you can see we nearly gained 2% equity with a simple raise and take it from the button. which is not much of a risk compared to 3bet shoving our whole stack in. it further confirms to me that this is a clear fold preflop barring other information.

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for posting this information and way to go on your 3,000 posts! :)

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wizzim - as always I'm in awe. Love the dodgy pic also!

You asked for more information on the table dynamics so here goes:

Seat 8 - 26/5 folds. Playing very passively
Seat 9 - 19/15 folds. Had played the bubble very cautiously with few moves.
Seat 2 SB and chip leader - 25/16 Steal PCT - 31 over 228 hands. Prior to this hand his play had been a little mixed. Sometimes raising and occasionally just making some calls. Last time he raised sb vs BB he had minraised, I had shoved and he had folded.

One option I hadn't considered was the 3 bet that you suggested. I can see why that would be a fold to a shove but do I really want to give up a third of my chips in that way?

A further question. Assuming I shove what should his calling range be?

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes well done on 3k posts and a seriously detailed answer :) I also have two questions for Wizzim:

1/ what about when villain calls and we double up?

2/ you do know you can use text in ms paint so you don't have to draw the letters, right?

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
VN post Wizz. My initial thought was that I didn't mind the shove but I found myself nodding my head in agreement with your post advising a snap fold. Becoming a little more, um whats the phrase, bubble wise(?) has been a focus of mine lately.

I am not sure if you mentioned it in your post and I just missed it but the table dynamics are great for us we are right behind the biggest stack and have 2 equal shortish stacks behind us so we definitely wait because there is a good chance one or the shorties will shove into the big stack and we can get into the money without any risk at all.

Ok I went back and read it again and I am a little confused. I see you talking about the table dynamic being bad? I can't think of any better scenario personally. We have position on the person who can give us the most chips plus if we were behind one or both of the shorties we would definitely be getting shoved into regularly.

Last edited:
Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wait till the bubble bursts here. Simple as that, fold.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One reason I like pushing back in spots like this is because it gives the villain the icm headache (lol ice cream headache), but he would still have ~10bbs if he lost so I guess we need to watch our FE.

One option I hadn't considered was the 3 bet that you suggested. I can see why that would be a fold to a shove but do I really want to give up a third of my chips in that way?

Yeah I think that we're too short to min3bet here too. Can't put in 1/3 and fold, just like you can't make 3,000 posts and just disappear... *taps foot impatiently*

Ok I went back and read it again and I am a little confused. I see you talking about the table dynamic being bad? I can't think of any better scenario personally. We have position on the person who can give us the most chips plus if we were behind one or both of the shorties we would definitely be getting shoved into regularly.

I generally agree with this and I think it's only a bad dynamic if the three stacks are behaving as wizzim described because we'll get a lot less steals/walks. It's also interesting how he says snap fold because it's -$icm and then describes a dynamic that actually ends up as an argument for shoving :)

I wait till the bubble bursts here. Simple as that, fold.

It's simple as long as you have other means of preserving / growing your stack, can't really afford to tighten up too much.

flat call

I don't think flat calling in mid-endgame is necessarily a crime but it's rarely the best option and I wouldn't do it here.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a classic example of ICM bubble play and it's these spots that the most mistakes are made.

This hand is an easy fold, purely based on ICM..shoving over the top isn't right and flat calling is going to be horrible too.

FWIW - I'd much more prefer 3bet shoving as opposed to flatting. I think flatting is the worse of all options but again..the only best play here is to fold and have a tight 3 bet jamming range vs the chip leader on the bubble when we're 2nd in chips.

Fold>3bet shove>Flat are in preference of how the hand should be played, however..3bet jamming really I don't think is an option in this spot.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All good stuff gents - thanks.

Another way of looking at this. If I was to 3 bet shove what range should villain call with? At the time this weighed heavily in my thinking.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Another way of looking at this. If I was to 3 bet shove what range should villain call with? At the time this weighed heavily in my thinking.

Should of does will depend here. I mean, if he's a thinking/good player..then he will likely have to call a tightest range, to call of an extra 15 blinds jam from you. Given it's BvB and you have recently re jammed over him + it's a $5 game, not sure how his ICM game is, his range might be slightly looser.

Also I think if we factor in a 3x raise for him here, this likely means he's fishy or a silly way of saying "i'm calling your shove here"..therefore I think making A,Tos even more of a fold given 3x size.

Personally, if I was him and it was bvb...I think like TT+/A,Q+ would be my range but I guess this depends. Again though, I'm never 3xing bvb and folding to a jam, I'd be min raise/calling or just jaming whichever I think looks weaker to villian on the BB.

Also; just checked out equity here.. it seems even you should only be 3bet shoving KK+ here and folding out TT/JJ/QQ.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also; just checked out equity here.. it seems even you should only be 3bet shoving KK+ here and folding out TT/JJ/QQ.

That's shockingly tight from a cEV perspective, what opening range did you give the villain btw?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's shockingly tight from a cEV perspective, what opening range did you give the villain btw?

Yeah from cEV it will be and of course we can ship a ton wider for cEV but I checked equity for $eV in a STT - SnG's $EV is pretty much the only thing that matters especially in a perfect bubble spot here and I don't think cEV has much bearing if any in these spots. I gave villian a 100% opening range btw.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That really highlights the peculiarity of the bubble.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes well done on 3k posts and a seriously detailed answer :) I also have two questions for Wizzim:

2/ you do know you can use text in ms paint so you don't have to draw the letters, right?

I definitely don't think we are getting called by worse enough.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
VN post Wizz. My initial thought was that I didn't mind the shove but I found myself nodding my head in agreement with your post advising a snap fold. Becoming a little more, um whats the phrase, bubble wise(?) has been a focus of mine lately.

I am not sure if you mentioned it in your post and I just missed it but the table dynamics are great for us we are right behind the biggest stack and have 2 equal shortish stacks behind us so we definitely wait because there is a good chance one or the shorties will shove into the big stack and we can get into the money without any risk at all.yeah i missed that, it does depend on how much they are shoving, and also i forgot about the fact that the two shorties could clash.

Ok I went back and read it again and I am a little confused. I see you talking about the table dynamic being bad? I can't think of any better scenario personally. We have position on the person who can give us the most chips plus if we were behind one or both of the shorties we would definitely be getting shoved into regularly.well it's a bad situation as most of our money made in sngs is made BVB. so when we get aggression from a player when we are in the BB, it makes things harder for us. Also, if we cannot put as much aggression as we want to when we are in the sb, it seriously affects our money making possibilities.
keep in mind i just pretty much made up how these players might act, just to give an example of table dynamics and how they may affect things, and how they might actually change our range. i was trying to show how bad table dynamics can sometimes make bad shoves less bad, if that makes sense. since tangering posted the actual reads, it seems the sb wont be giving us too much trouble, and the only two are nits, making it a good table dynamic. i totally know where you are coming from though, the stacks are not setup too bad, the sb cant shove on us, he has to raise, and the other two are on 10bb, so they are likely to get into confrontatiion. the example above again was designed to just get discussion going about table dynamics because no one really talks about it.

this is all covered by really good software like "sng wizard", it will work out every single scenario possible relating to a hand like this, including ranges of players and give you a very accurate answer assuming you have input ranges reasonably well. you can certainly think about the possibilities and work them out with an icm calculator, but i certainly don't have the time and wouldnt be nearly as quick or accurate. sure, sometimes when we shove we double up, but also we are sometimes left with no equity at all, finishing in 4th place, so it kind of balances itself out. Also, doubling up still doesnt guarantee us cashing in this tournament. the player will be left with 10 bb. if we are facing a player we can knock out of the tournament, the equity equation will tip in the favour of shoving a looser range. so to put it basically it's still incredibly high risk/reward, especially considering our strong equity postion in this hand. and since the most likely possibility is that we shove and he folds, we don't gain enough to make it worth while in my opinion.
2/ you do know you can use text in ms paint so you don't have to draw the letters, right? haha, thanks for the tip ;) i was actually looking for it, but i got lazy.

Wizzim - as always I'm in awe. Love the dodgy pic also!

You asked for more information on the table dynamics so here goes:

Seat 8 - 26/5 folds. Playing very passively
Seat 9 - 19/15 folds. Had played the bubble very cautiously with few moves.
Seat 2 SB and chip leader - 25/16 Steal PCT - 31 over 228 hands. Prior to this hand his play had been a little mixed. Sometimes raising and occasionally just making some calls. Last time he raised sb vs BB he had minraised, I had shoved and he had folded.ok so hes not putting so much pressure on us, and we can happily shove into the two shorties. this means we have a pretty good table dynamic, still not ideal, but a lot better than i was saying above (which again, was just an example without reads) so here the sb will be doing things bvb to us, a little unpredictable probably, but it makes it a lot better that he will likely not get involved too much in the co or button, so we should be free to steal blinds from the two short stacked players who are really tight from your reads. this makes it much better for us, and also tips this situation into a fold moreso, because we have such better situations. the example i gave above, was an example designed to push us into taking more risks, on table dynamics like taht, shoving in spots like this isn't as bad, because we're trying to create a better situation for ourselves in the future. basically taking a -ev shove for a more +ev future. in this particular spot, no matter what the dynamic, i would advise folding, but since it was my 3k post, i thought id throw all my thoughts and tricks at y'all since i dont play anymore and dont care if people get better ;)

One option I hadn't considered was the 3 bet that you suggested. I can see why that would be a fold to a shove but do I really want to give up a third of my chips in that way?it's only really a valid play if the player is good and thinks. if he is really good he will see through it, but if he is a nit playing like 20 tables, this will work nicely. he knows he cannot just call, and it looks really strong to him, so he will save the headfks and just fold most of the time. this works so well in so many situations vs Multitabling nits, they work it out after a while and stop raising, so it's a win/win for us.

A further question. Assuming I shove what should his calling range be?his calling range? also reasonably tight, i could guess of the top of my head, but it might be misleading. he is left with 10 bb if he loses, so it provides a bit of a buffer to call. but he is in such a strong equity position that he would be better off chipping away in more smaller pots, rather than risking a lot for a bigger one. As we know, when you have a lot of chips in sngs they are actually worth less to us. so gaining chips here isn't really our goal. our goal should be to whittle down all the other stacks, and actually keep the bubble alive for as long as possible. we should be targetting the next stack closeest to us, and trying to get them down as low as possible. why? because the fewer chips they have, the fewer chips we need to win. so we want to be winning these chips when they know they have to be risk averse or are scared of losing money. i cant count the amount of times i've abused the bubble in low limit sngs and basically assured my victory 4 handed.

it's simple math/probabilties really when you think about a sng. if we have more chips on average then our opponants we have more of a chance to win. so this can apply to every level in a sng. what i mean by this is that we can break down our play using hem or similar and work out how big our chip stack is on average compared to our opponants. so we can look at how many we have 9 handed, 8 handed, 7 handed etc and work out where we need to pick up equity/fix leaks. so if we have less chips than our opponants going into 4 handed play, it's likely to start a ripple effect throughout the rest of the tournament, we're likely to bubble more, we have to work harder and take more risks to win more, we're also likely to enter 3 handed play with fewer chips as well. this is really advanced way of thinking about sng play, and i've explained it poorly, but hope it gives you the gist. if you like i can take a bit more time to talk about this

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah from cEV it will be and of course we can ship a ton wider for cEV but I checked equity for $eV in a STT - SnG's $EV is pretty much the only thing that matters especially in a perfect bubble spot here and I don't think cEV has much bearing if any in these spots. I gave villian a 100% opening range btw.

cev has no bearing in sng play until we reach hu play. being a mtt player will not allow you to make really high roi in sng, it's a completely differant beast.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

the problem with this thinking is that villian is a villian and will not call with a range you think he should. we have to assume villian to be bad, he isn't showing himself to be playing optimally. so he may call with a wider range just due to his stack size. again i could guess, but it's kind of pointless. your much better off focusing on the possibilities that happen more often. as usual in poker, the small decisions are the most important, the small pots are the most important. so instead of worrying about what range he should call with in game, try to focus on getting some solid sng fundimentals down. there is plenty of information out there and a lot of it free. try to get some basic ranges down in bvb play, and let math do the work for you. once you have this basic understanding, you can then begin to pinpoint where you need to plug leaks in your game. the less mistakes you make, the more money you make, a mistake could be just missing a shove bvb vs a tight villian. those are the things that are important. not villians ranges when he's unpredictable in a spot that is very infrequent.

sorry to take over your thread tangerine, this is basically my 3k post thread now though ;P doubt i'll make it to 4k :(

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One reason I like pushing back in spots like this is because it gives the villain the icm headache (lol ice cream headache), but he would still have ~10bbs if he lost so I guess we need to watch our FE.
yeah thats a solid way to think. but the thing is that it also always applies to us. having knowledge is great, but you also have to realize that not everyone plays optimally. players at this level will likely call a lot wider than we think, which sometimes makes things good for us, but can also give us a headache. put basically, how do we give someone an icm heaahce if he isnt thinking about icm? so if he isn't thinking (which is highly likely) we can assume either than he doesnt care too much about losing chips becuase he thinks he is the chip leader and losing doesnt matter, or he wants to conserve his stack. there are probably other possibilities but these are likely the main ones wouldnt you agree? so knowing this, which one is this player? thats a guessing game i dont wanna play. i'd prefer to stick to smaller pots, when i know my play is the right one, rather than guess in big pots with high risk.

oh, it's true that no matter what he is thinking, he makes a mistake by calling too wide in regards to icm. but remember that we are also making a mistake as we should have worked out the possibilty that he will call wider and thus, shove a tighter range.

Yeah I think that we're too short to min3bet here too. Can't put in 1/3 and fold, just like you can't make 3,000 posts and just disappear... *taps foot impatiently*yes you may be correct. i only advised that vs thinking multitabling players, basicalyl shit nits. they will call with the same range that you 3bet with, so instead of risking it all, we can only risk 1/3 still have backup in case the plan backfires. villian should know he cant just call, so he can only 4bet or fold, and to a multitabling nit, a small raise like this looks strong. you can do this in so many situations vs multitabling players as they simply dont have time to deal with it. just basically using their steal aggression against them without risking too much ourselves. it obviously has to work often, which is why i emphasize now that it only works vs mulitabling players who think about the game, but are still not great. the great players will know what you are doing and go one level ahead and jam on you with the same range they opened with ;)

I generally agree with this and I think it's only a bad dynamic if the three stacks are behaving as wizzim described because we'll get a lot less steals/walks. It's also interesting how he says snap fold because it's -$icm and then describes a dynamic that actually ends up as an argument for shoving :)
yeah i did that on purpose to get talk going about table dynamics. it still doesnt really apply here as we're far too deep. but hopefully gets ya'll thinking a little more :) since the op posted his reads, it makes the table dynamic better, so it pushes it to an even worse shove ;)

It's simple as long as you have other means of preserving / growing your stack, can't really afford to tighten up too much.
exactly, getting into the money is our goal yes, but getting into the money without a chip stack isn't a great plan if we want a very high % of first place finishes which is vital if we want a very good roi.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I think that we're too short to min3bet here too. Can't put in 1/3 and fold, just like you can't make 3,000 posts and just disappear... *taps foot impatiently*yes you may be correct. i only advised that vs thinking multitabling players, basicalyl shit nits. they will call with the same range that you 3bet with, so instead of risking it all, we can only risk 1/3 still have backup in case the plan backfires. villian should know he cant just call, so he can only 4bet or fold, and to a multitabling nit, a small raise like this looks strong. you can do this in so many situations vs multitabling players as they simply dont have time to deal with it. just basically using their steal aggression against them without risking too much ourselves. it obviously has to work often, which is why i emphasize now that it only works vs mulitabling players who think about the game, but are still not great. the great players will know what you are doing and go one level ahead and jam on you with the same range they opened with ;)

I call this 'the threat of all in', using your bet sizing to put your whole stack in but without actually putting your whole stack in.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wizzim - I'm not sure why you're not playing anymore but I've been reading your material on here for some time and greatly appreciate any advice you are willing to proffer to SNG mortals like myself. It seems I lucked out in you giving this thread more attention as it's your 3,000th post. You mentioned earlier about expanding further on advanced SNG thinking and yes I (and others) would be grateful for that.

Summarising all this down the consensus seems to be to fold and is the most risk averse play although a shove (as explained by Luca) isn't completely disastrous either. This has been interesting as I've been bubbling a lot recently and it's because I've been too aggressive on the bubble (or picking the wrong spots) or I've been going into 4-5 handed play proportionately low on chips. I'm a real nit until we get down to 6 or below and this does often mean that I'm lower than average in chips when we get down to that level.