$340 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Flop the world with 4 players. How to proceed?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a live $340 buy in tourney. we are about 2 hours into the tourney and I've got a little more than a starting stack with 13,500. average is around 15,000. Blinds are 100/200/25 so cost per orbit is 525. my M=25 and I have roughly 67 BBs.

UTG+2 I raise it up to 500 with AsQh.

I get 3 callers including the button and the BB. Pot contains 2,325

Flop comes QsTs4s.

So I've flopped TPTK and the nut flush draw. I love the flop and we're 4 handed. BB checks to me and I decide to check and hope to trap and induce some action. I'm not afraid of giving a free card since I've got the nut flush draw (and also saves me money in case somebody flopped the flush and I don't improve).

well, it checks around.

Turn is a Red Jack. I decide to check/call if somebody bets. It checks to the Button who bets out 1,500 into 2325. BB folds and I happily call. I realize I'm not getting odds to draw to my flush, but I may actually still be ahead. The other player folds and it's heads up to the river.

So now the pot contains 5,325. River is a blank small red card. I check and the Button makes the same bet 1,500.
hmmmm....seems suspicious like he's begging for a call. I'm starting to wonder if he flopped the flush. What other hands make sense? 2 pair like QJ or JT. also, he could have turned broadway with AK, but he didn't re-raise preflop....I tank for a while but finally decide I'm getting 4.5 to 1 on my call and I'll be ahead enough times to make this call profitable. He could have a busted draw too...

I call and he flips over AK offsuit so he indeed turned broadway.

How terribly did I misplay this hand?

Should I have bet the flop?
Should I have folded to the small river bet?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The river - it is call for me.
The flop - check isn't bad for 4 handed, sometimes it works. You have As, so hand like Asxs isn't possible here. More possible hand here is something like KsJs or sometimes Js9s, so maybe checking the flop, the turn and the river, and controlling the pot is better than betting. Here I don't see others suited connectors cards like 6s5s etc. so flopped the flush is less possible here at this board.

Last edited:
duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bet flop, ainec, bet turn, as played call river, its gross but most AK reraises pre.

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have heaps of outs on the flop so apply pressure now , by the time the turn comes your outs are halved and your hand becomes weaker.

By betting the flop you are doing 2 things :
Taking initiative in the hand - by betting you are using your fold equity and building a story that your strong on the flop , now if you fire again on the turn , your saying look im still very strong and your fold equity is even stronger.

Building the pot - if you hit your card on the turn , you are playing in a big pot with a big hand a situation where you should find yourself as often as possible in. If you miss because you showed initiative on the flop you can go to plan B , fire again .

The best thing about big draws is that you can apply a lot of pressure without being crushed, using every little bit of fold equity you have.

Taking risks with plenty of outs is how big stacks are made and tornaments are won.

Last edited:
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know, I'm still kicking myself over this hand.

If I bet the flop, I'm pretty sure that guy folds. then 2 hands later when the same guy has AA on the button when I had KK in the BB I would have at least had him covered when we got it all in...instead that guy got my whole stack because I misplayed this hand, and then 2 hands later we get dealt a cooler...

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Def betting the flop, even if I flop KJT rainbow. The board is coordinated and several people will chase to improve, whether it be a straight draw, flush draw, or even a single pair hand.

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you wanted to take the pot, you should have bet on the flop, do not let complete a project, at that level. a humble review