$20 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Live $20 rebuy AdJd what to do on turn?

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all I don't play many tourneys. And I wanted to see what some tourney players might suggest I do in this hand on the turn, or differently before then.

This hand happened after the rebuy period was over.

Noone involved in this hand knows me well, and my table image is very tight.

Me and 2 players see the flop.

To my left is a decent loose aggressive player in the cutoff and to my right is a loose/timid player under the gun. I am in late middle position and am about the average stack at the 9 man table.

I will try to make this live hand readable. Forgive any minor error.

Blinds 50/100
Preflop:
UTG: ~6500T
hERO: 7900T
CO: ~12000T

Hero is dealt :ad4: :jd4:

UTG Limp calls 100, XXX folds, XXX calls, XXX folds, hERO Raises to 400, XXX folds, CO Calls, SB Folds, BB Folds, UTG Calls 300, XXX folds.

As the flop comes out I am watching my two opponents. CO played something like 80% of hands for the first 2 hours of the tournament. I had noticed that when he looked up VERY quickly from the flop he tended to have connected in some way. CO noticed after looking up very quickly that I was watching him instead of the flop and commented "Haha, He's gonna stare us down before he even knows if he has a hand".

Flop (Pot 1450) :2d4: :7d4: :5c4:

UTG Checks, Hero bets 1000, CO calls fairly quickly, UTG folds.

Turn (Pot 3450) :10h4:

I pause for a moment and consider my remaining opponent. I would be fairly surprised if he had made a set or two pair and then smooth called my cbet on this board. I figure his range has lots of connected and small gap sevens as well as A7, K7 types.

Hero: ????

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny how just writing that all down sort of cleared up some things for me. In fact I know what I would suggest hERO do at this point. ;)

Let me see what you guys say though.

seachicken

seachicken

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think based on what you are telling us your flop bet was questionable.

You know your opponent hit but you bet 1k with a losing hand. you have 8 outs for sure. 5d can make him a full house. You are building a big pot with A high. The only part i like is the fact that you are telling him that you have a made hand and are not on a draw.

You said you had a high pair and he said OK i can beat that. You said you have a tight image so you are not betting 7 5.

make a small blocking bet and if raised fold. The 10 fits the hands you put him on. 10 7 now if he didn't have two pairs he may now. Plus a small bet could seem like your are not blocking now but have a made hand maybe trip 10's and betting for value.

One thing that would make me believe he has more than one pair is that he played 80% of hands for two hours. He is not building big pots with nothing lasting that long.

Last edited:
C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think based on what you are telling us your flop bet was questionable.

Perhaps so. I will give you my rationale.

I felt a decent cbet made sense because it looks like an overpair, and I fel so much of his range was on some kind of 7 by itself. I thought 2 pr was quite unlikely since he was always aggressive, but especially so with a big made hand on a wet board. I felt in most circumstances I had 15 outs.

But I did build the pot there and made my turn decision harder.

I guess a check call might have been viable.

A "blocking bet" I am not so sure of as this player was likely to come way over the top of that...

seachicken

seachicken

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i read it last night i was thinking how i would play the hand against a similar guy that plays ultra aggressive with only 8k in chips.

If i was playing against him i would have cbet him in the $550-$750 range. but that doesn't really change much but i think it does make a difference. He wouldn't call the 500 or 1k with one pair against a tight player.

So if we take your guy betting 600 could have accomplish the samething and maybe something more.

If you replay the hand and make the 600 bet on the flop it still says you have a high pair. Your a tight player you missed the flop exept for draws. Say he came over the top to $1800-2000 you could than push all in. Thats a tough call for him with a pair of 7's. If you did have your 15 outs you would have a 53% chance of winning the hand if called.

If he just calls the 600 the pot would now be 2650 instead of 3450.

you check he bets $1,200-$1800 or checks maybe even less. If he is not adding the pot up in his head he could think you would only stick around for 600-1000. I see this a lot in live play. Bet 400 preflop, 600 flop, now the bet comes 800 or they copy your 600 raise. It really doesn't make since but a lot of people playing aggressive live are either really good or donks. The donks dont think about the pot size. They follow your pattern. You said he only has one pair. Does he really want to make a large bet against a tight player. I think he might want to check. If he makes a large bet here you can fold only losing 1k.

The main reason i didn't like the 1k bet is your chip stack size. IF he would have come over the top you would have been in a tough place. Because you wouldn't have enough chips to have any fold equaty left in the hand.

So back to your situation, i guess i would check. When i said i would make a blocking bet i was think he may see it as you just made trip 10's. But from what you are saying and he will come over the top you can't bet here. With your 15 out you are only going to make your hand 30% of the time. I don't want to play for all my money with a 30% chance i will make my hand.

I have been in this situation a lot. I end up playing the hand like you did more than i want. It's when i forget my chip stack is 8k not 15 that i find myself betting the 1k. If you have 15k the 1k bet doesn't hurt and you still have chips to push if you think that is the best play. With 8k and 1400 of your money in the pot not a lot left if he makes a midsize raise. It puts you in a tough situation.

I know the thinking in this situation, if i make a large cbet he will fold. than he calls. Turn comes with no help and i start to think all kinds of 4 letter words. It's not a fun place to be in. You know he has a hand the turn really shouldn't have help you. He knows it you know it but you still have a hand and one that just may stack him. but than you think 30% at best

Organize a Home Poker Game