Why do so many poker players have a victim mentality?

Lostmyhouse

Lostmyhouse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Poker nowdays are dead, there is no money"
"Everybody nowdays are pros, poker is dead"
"All the knowledge is out there, so how could one possible still suck-no money"
"If i play i will lose everything"
"If i play i will lose everything and then die"

Is it just "normal victims" who happen to play poker or are those players drawn to poker as flies are drawn to cowshit?
You don't see chessplayers crying about how much knowledge there is out there, chess is even "solved" by computers. People are still going through education, even if there already are educated people out there..People are still going to lawschool even if there already are experts on the current law.

Are the just as common as in other areas in life or are victims especially drawn to poker?
Is it the bad beats/tilt which starts this emotalk or is it because people are delusional just as anyone who buy a lotteryticket, and then when they see when they don't get their win the starts to whine, because there delusions gets crushed?

Last edited:
skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, but I don't listen these things very often. I'm from brazil, and here poker increased too much in the last 5 years, so it's a fever here, with good live tournaments on good poker clubs.

angeliks

angeliks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here in argentina also increased nearly enough transformarce 0 to even such a popular game like "truco" and replace games like "taba" and some others. even tournaments are often made in cities or inland province

YourHuckleberry

YourHuckleberry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The "problem" with poker is that the best player doesn't always win. Hell, the best player RARELY wins if the field is more than 20 players. It's not like basketball or football or racing or golf or darts or nearly any other game/sport in that regard. While this attracts bad players (which is good for the better players over time), it also increases a good players variance and some players don't take losing streaks very well. (myself included on occasion) It can be very frustrating when you are all-in with the best hand and constantly get drawn out on and when this happens much more than it should statistically for a relatively long period of time it can feel like the world absolutely hates you and you can't catch a break. This leads to a "victim" mentality. It's not a surprise that you might feel like karma is out to get you if you lose 10 times in a row despite being a 75%+ favorite. I can tell you that I just lost 4 times in a row with AA after isolating one other player preflop and I fully expected to lose again the fifth time. When you have the best hand and lose consistently despite the odds it starts to change your mentality after a while. This happens to even the best players and the best way to get through it is to be aware of it and walk away to reset.

L

Lewa12

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is called a mental trick. It's like a sign. Everyone is waiting for accomplishment of an event, explaining himself, why it should happen. But! From waiting here depends nothing.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think people do have an entitlement complex and therefore a misconstrued viewpoint on what 'should' happen. I think letting go of expectations is a wonderful way to not get caught up in a victim mentality and enjoy your turns on CC more and life in general.

So perhaps the way out of a victim mentality is through self responsibility and thus self empowerment to create the change we desire. Is it time to stop being a victim of CC? Is it time to stop being a victim of life? We have the power to do it!

Well said Esanu. I definately believe this is a mentality problem. It's like when you can get a bad beat with AA vs K3 and the opponent gets 2 pair and does you.

Mentality is a big part of the game in poker, if you cannot handle that then you will not be at all successful...............gl with your mental game, I would recommend that anyone with a mental problem reads "The mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler..............Interesting read, although can be hard work, needs reading 3 or 4 times before you start to fully get what he's saying.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
because people are conditioned to believe they are separate from everything else, and thus arises the ego and the need to be the best at everything..and when things don't go the way the 'ego' wants it to go, then the victim mentality takes over....not just in poker, but life in general for almost everyone on planet earth..

if you see yourself as an 'i', then things will be personal.

Lostmyhouse

Lostmyhouse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because people are conditioned to believe they are separate from everything else, and thus arises the ego and the need to be the best at everything..and when things don't go the way the 'ego' wants it to go, then the victim mentality takes over....not just in poker, but life in general for almost everyone on planet earth..

if you see yourself as an 'i', then things will be personal.

Very good said!
Well its just like i see thismore in the pokercommunity, it can bebecause it is here who i spend my most time, atleast lately. But poker is indeed a very tough game for the ego.

The talk about how little money and how hard the game is just a more kindly way to put the wanting, you are not a greedy person so insteed you are taking the victimrole. Seems legit

maniaka68

maniaka68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Bulgaria we are strong people and don`t have this problem

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been playing poker way long before the online stuff. Yup i guess theres victims but i dont play to see this i play for self gratitude and of course monetary gain. Oh and also i throw in a freeroll or two with cards chat now thats for pure ol fun. So i dont harp on the victim part of it if a person feels victimized they have gotten off on the wrong foot and need a game plan. gl gl on the tables!!!

arielakarel

arielakarel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The "problem" with poker is that the best player doesn't always win. Hell, the best player RARELY wins if the field is more than 20 players. It's not like basketball or football or racing or golf or darts or nearly any other game/sport in that regard. While this attracts bad players (which is good for the better players over time), it also increases a good players variance and some players don't take losing streaks very well. (myself included on occasion) It can be very frustrating when you are all-in with the best hand and constantly get drawn out on and when this happens much more than it should statistically for a relatively long period of time it can feel like the world absolutely hates you and you can't catch a break. This leads to a "victim" mentality. It's not a surprise that you might feel like karma is out to get you if you lose 10 times in a row despite being a 75%+ favorite. I can tell you that I just lost 4 times in a row with AA after isolating one other player preflop and I fully expected to lose again the fifth time. When you have the best hand and lose consistently despite the odds it starts to change your mentality after a while. This happens to even the best players and the best way to get through it is to be aware of it and walk away to reset.

I think that the best player will win if the stakes are high. When you get in to a game where the players fill they don't have much to loose, they play more loosely and luck plays a bigger role.

E

eudaimonia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first noble truth... "All life is suffering." Everyone's a victim. I love it when millionaires complain that the pay too much in taxes or professional sports leagues go on strike. People will always go out their way to find unhappiness. I suppose that is why we all play poker. :)

I

insidious96

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you do not trust yourself enough and you must have a strong mentality to avoid becoming a victim.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just human psychology is such that multiple failures in a row, he begins to believe in getting the failures in the future. While somewhere in the subconscious, he realizes that all the bad things ever end.But the longer a person gets bad, the harder he believe in success. There are so many new players who are trying to play is not standard. And classic players get in a trouble with a large map.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Human nature, it is not just poker players, not just from certain countries, genders or age.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think poker is for the fearless

Is it just "normal victims" who happen to play poker or are those players drawn to poker as flies are drawn to cowshit?
You don't see chessplayers crying about how much knowledge there is out there, chess is even "solved" by computers. People are still going through education, even if there already are educated people out there..People are still going to lawschool even if there already are experts on the current law.

Are the just as common as in other areas in life or are victims especially drawn to poker?
Is it the bad beats/tilt which starts this emotalk or is it because people are delusional just as anyone who buy a lotteryticket, and then when they see when they don't get their win the starts to whine, because there delusions gets crushed?

I am new to poker , it is interesting to note the psychological a player , I think poker is for the fearless...heros

rawbad

rawbad

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
here inusa its popular I don't hear people saying VICTIMS I play because I love the game

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I live in Iguassu falls, here are two clubs of poker, poker is growing, but is heard but among the players that victim's speech.

zarrmonster

zarrmonster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Victim mentality is an acquired (learned) personality trait in which a person tends to regard him or herself as a victim of the negative actions of others, and to think, speak and act as if that were the case — even in the absence of clear evidence. It depends on habitual thought processes and attribution.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first three quotes you make have large elements of truth in them.....

That doesn't mean ALL players online are pros or there is NO money to make online, but there are certainly many more skilled players than there was even 4 yrs ago, and there is certainly LESS money to be made; dramatically less than a decade ago during the boom.

What you choose to do with that information is your business, but to be in denial about the current state of online poker is no better than to be someone who believes there is no way to be profitable in today's online games.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many people have this mentality about anything in life, not just poker. It is a defense mechanism by the ego. If they can blame something or somebody else for their failure then they don't have to own up to the reality that they did not put in the effort necessary to achieve their goals.

P

pokkerta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
haha

In Bulgaria we are strong people and don`t have this problem

Sorry to disappoint u bro but i have seen numerous Bulgarians tilt hard. So you don´t need to put your country in some category of strong untouchable beings. Nice try though hope you were joking :)

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been guilty of this victim complex on thr winning network. I for the life of me, can not understand how I have no money on that site, I play well, when I lose in my games they are 75 percent horrible beats... some are bad plays. I am seriously thinking about leaving there, as they do not do anything for their bad customer service, and their horrible connectivity issues. I am happy where I am at now, and will continue to move forward and play at Bovada.... I didnt want to leave but I think on onday I am done with the winning network. can not deal with it...