J

jaystun00

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it one big bet per hour?
Is it having a expected hourly win rate

How do you define a grinder what makes u one?

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmm, no emotion

discipline

no tilt

understands variance

sticks to the game plan

big picture player

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A true grinder plays tons of hands / games every day and is not result orientated, very focussed and disciplined ! He prepares and reviews his sessions...

SYWTWAF

SYWTWAF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think of a grinder as a player who--1) puts in great volume, 2) has a positive win rate, 3) thinks systematically about the game and tries to improve as they play, 4) plays within their bankroll.

Grinders rarely "take shots" and money does not come pouring on them, but nor do they lose it easily. They accumulate capital slowly, but steadily and securely.

BillyBrewington

BillyBrewington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think of a grinder as a player who--1) puts in great volume, 2) has a positive win rate, 3) thinks systematically about the game and tries to improve as they play, 4) plays within their bankroll.

Grinders rarely "take shots" and money does not come pouring on them, but nor do they lose it easily. They accumulate capital slowly, but steadily and securely.

This is almost exacly how I would discribe a grinder.. The big thing I feel in this is Grinders rarely take shots because grinders don't take alot of risks. Grinders look for maximum gain for the least amount of risk...

B

Boltpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pale skin, poor nutrition, zombie like approach to day to day activities, convinced work attire consists of sweatpants, ripped tshirt, and beanie.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see a grinder as someone who (1) understands probability and (2) plays a lot of hands and who uses those two characteristics to grind out a profit. A grinder is not looking for "one big hand". He is utilizing every 1-2% advantage (taking the rake into consideration, of course) he can find to turn a profit over time. I am not a grinder but I admire what they are able to do.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel a grinder is a player who understands that solid play + volume > short term variance.

He just keeps putting in hour after hour, day after day, month after month until he looks up at the end of the year and sees a significant profit.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Grinder, gotta love that as a poker term.

The grinder, is the poker player who understands variance, and willing to roll with it, hand after hand.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel a grinder is a player who understands that solid play + volume > short term variance.

He just keeps putting in hour after hour, day after day, month after month until he looks up at the end of the year and sees a significant profit.
This is the best answer so far. No need to really say anything else.

essambb

essambb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the last world series say it all he was one foot out of the door then he become the chip leader then become short stacked again till he joined the final table of the series then he became the chip leader of the final table btu he lost after he put his 60 mil chips all in with 33 aganest A9

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
'pale skin, poor nutrition, zombie like approach to day to day activities, convinced work attire consists of sweatpants, ripped tshirt, and beanie.'

lmao

A

akaCLINT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could quote duffer, and have nothing to add to that...

GL

aC

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
pale skin, poor nutrition, zombie like approach to day to day activities, convinced work attire consists of sweatpants, ripped tshirt, and beanie.

This ^ is obviously the best answer.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I believe its a tie.

Peteyweestro

Peteyweestro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me a grinder is someone with waaaayyyy more patience & time then me,lol

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me, a true grinder is someone who plays poker like it's a 9-5 job. Often without much joy, long hours, lowish pay, etc.

reverie

reverie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to me a grinder is just someone who plays an awful lot of poker. Did you mean what makes an expert? I wrote an article about it. mods, if the link is not allowed let me know and I'll post some of the contents here instead.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
* definition of 'grinder', taken from "Grinderschool" training site

grinder (n) a professional poker player who earns a living through small but consistent winnings (See also: rounder)

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A ton of patience and discipline. Grind, grind grind!

D

DennisC98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where You Can Find Grinders

Actually, you can find grinders in almost all types of poker in the lower and middle limits. You typically don't find a "grinder" per se at the nosebleed stakes. Most grinders will multi-table to the tune of eight or more simultaneous tables, oftentimes of identical game types and limits. For instance, a Sit and Go grinder might play eight tables at a time of $25 turbo 9-person Sit and Goes. Considering that 10% (after rake) is a great ROI for a Sit and Go player, that means that the player is only making $2.50 per sit and go. But if they can squeeze in 20 sit and goes in an hour, then they're "grinding" a $50 per hour win rate. By contrast, if that same player decided to go play a $200 Sit and Go, then they're now "off their grind" and taking a "shot" at a higher game.
You Should Also Know...

While some grinders do play almost exclusively large, multi-table tournaments, these people are a very rare breed. The goal in a large tournament is to make a big score, to win a sum of money that can sustain you until the next sizeable take. Some people are able to win small to medium prizes on a fairly consistent basis, but in general, grinders don't specialize in multi-table tournaments because luck can swing one's results too quickly in them and they take too long to make smaller wins worth the time.
Additionally, online players can earn rakeback to increase their hourly rate, and some online poker rooms only offer rakeback for cash games.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience and putting your skills to work day in day out......

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A grinder is a guy who likes to get up on a rail with his skateboard...A lot!
Honest :D!

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And sometimes it might be a machine used to mash things up into very tiny pieces! Stuff like meat so bodybuilders can drink it with their milk or cars so they could eat them :p

dadogg

dadogg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To me a Grinder is someone that is patient and understands that being able to fold a big pair will win you more hands than learning how to push with it