what do you call it...

N

noname65

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...when a player has 3,415 chips and another player bets 3,414?

I've seen that kind of "professional" bet before and always thought it was insulting and self-aggrandizing.

btw, I'm new here :)

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aha, I do this sometimes, it's a nice way to leave them a little bit of hope! WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

N

noname65

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's particularly nice, but to each his own.

Anyway, I was just wondering whether there is an industry term for it.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there is. I don't see what's unkind about it, or not 'particularly nice'. Can you elaborate?

N

noname65

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's insulting to the other player. In my experience pros use it to boost their own egos and belittle their opponents.

J

jmill

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not a nice game. When it all boils down somebody is taking someone elses money and nobody likes losing money. And whats to be insulted about just put your last chip in.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's insulting to the other player. In my experience pros use it to boost their own egos and belittle their opponents.

In your own Experience what Pros have you played with:confused: ? Not trying to be rude, just asking a serious question? Also nothing wrong with doing such a thing (Your Opinion is yours though;) )

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also, I have never seen a "pro" make this kind of bet. Maybe self proclaimed freeroll pros or Daily Dollar pros....

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...when a player has 3,415 chips and another player bets 3,414?

I've seen that kind of "professional" bet before and always thought it was insulting and self-aggrandizing.

btw, I'm new here :)
First....welcome to CARDSCHAT...2nd...a bet made is a bet played!

M

mikejm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't see it as insulting at all. sometimes you see it in the opposite direction where someone shoves and leaves 1 chip behind. I guess people do it just to see if they can survive deeper into a tournament even if its one or two seats deeper.

N

noname65

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, I have never seen a "pro" make this kind of bet. Maybe self proclaimed freeroll pros or Daily Dollar pros....

I was making exactly that point. If I forgot to put quotation marks around "pro" I apologize. The real pros tend to be gentlemen/women. It's the self-proclaimed ones who bug me.

Anyway, unless someone knows what that kind of bet is called, I guess my question was answered by the person who said there isn't a name for it.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was making exactly that point. If I forgot to put quotation marks around "pro" I apologize. The real pros tend to be gentlemen/women. It's the self-proclaimed ones who bug me.

Anyway, unless someone knows what that kind of bet is called, I guess my question was answered by the person who said there isn't a name for it.
My bad, I guess I misunderstood that you yourself were using that to be sarcastic in calling them a "pro"

Even wise-asses do not win the hand!
Why did you quote yourself only a minute after posting the quoted text? Just edit... It won't get you anywhere with adding to post count when it will just be joined by mods.

blackmax

blackmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your not displaying any type of disrespect when a player has 3,415 chips and you bet 3,414! Thats thats just sheer nonsense.

Last edited:
MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand how it's disrespectful - I always view it as some goof ball that is bored and is entertaining HIMSELF and nothing personal directed towards ME. At worst just trying to get a reaction - and apparently that is working pretty well on you.

I am assuming this is happening online - don't know that you can take anything personal online - you certainly should not - for your own well being.

Anytime somebody communicates something that you are taking personally just ask yourself, "Does this person know me?" If not then it can't possibly be personal and is just someone trying to get a reaction. Don't play by their rules and you'll be better off.

H

hawtshawt420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I think it's silly when people type non round numbers at all. Like a 299 bet instead of a 300. The only reason I can think of is to the graphic to look like more chips and possibly scare people?
I did see some people do this in small buyins and it was a flood. Back in the party poker days. it was 3400 obviously cuz the guy's friend was sucking and the other was winning so he'd raise all but 1 chip and then fold to the 1 chip reraise. Haven't seen anything like that in years though and only saw it a couple of times then so no spreading rumors alright?
another reason is possible chats? I know stars turns off the chat when someone is all in. If I'm having a good ol time chatting up with some other guy at the table and want to put someone all in and keep my chat, I'd think about this and try to get the chat for a few more minutes.
I think there has to be another reason than just a bet though.

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The one instance I see people doing this is when you go all in then you are no longer able to chat in the chat box. However, If you put all but one in the middle then you can still type something to intice a call or envoke a fold. I never use it but Ive seen it done.

Kinda Bush league IMO

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I think it's silly when people type non round numbers at all. Like a 299 bet instead of a 300. The only reason I can think of is to the graphic to look like more chips and possibly scare people?
Now this I don't really agree with. I would regularly bet off numbers because it really throws a lot of the bad players off. It isn't something that you only see in the small buy-ins either. It is something that I have seen numerous times in some of the SCOOP and FTOPS events as well by (real ;)) pros. As far as the graphic, the only people that would be scared by that would be the complete idiots, I don't remember the last time I have even looked at anything but the number of their bet or stack for any sort of information as to what my move was going to be after that, never on the pretty colors. Now in a real live environment, I can understand how that can be intimidating for some players because you don't have that automatic text showing how much the person just threw out.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's also important to note that bet sizing is actually very important and while live play doesn't necessarily allow for for such specficity, online play does. There'll be times when I want to risk 5% or my 3000 chip stack so I'll raise 150 but sometimes, that's just not profitable in the long run, and it's better for me to raise closer 4.83%. People that aren't adjusting thair raise sizes in this way are throwing away money IMO.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess thats a nice way to needle someone...it's usually harmless though i never do that...

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, ... YEP, It was me. :eviltongu

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've done it out of boredom once and once to a lag maniac.

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand how it's disrespectful - I always view it as some goof ball that is bored and is entertaining HIMSELF and nothing personal directed towards ME. At worst just trying to get a reaction - and apparently that is working pretty well on you.

I am assuming this is happening online - don't know that you can take anything personal online - you certainly should not - for your own well being.

Anytime somebody communicates something that you are taking personally just ask yourself, "Does this person know me?" If not then it can't possibly be personal and is just someone trying to get a reaction. Don't play by their rules and you'll be better off.

Very nice reply but.....

It's called a raise,btw. yw.

This wins. :icon_thum

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat.

"insulting and self-aggrandizing"

Emotions and Poker generally are not a good combination.
The goal should be to try and emotionally separate oneself from the game and play each situation to the best of their abilities.

It may not always be easy but it's worth striving for.