What book should I start with

B

bjornseo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys I am new at this game and I want something to help point me to the right direction so I was looking for a book that would help me and so far I the most common suggestions I have read are

Dan Harringtons series on CG and HE also his newest release the 6 max and also Phil Gordons Little Green book

I obviously want to learn how to play TAG and would like to learn the fundamentals as well and use a book as guide on developing my skills and expanding my knowledge which Do you think would be best to start with.

a. Dan Harringtons series on CG - I also like this series taken a peek at its contents and it looks like a good read
b. Dan Harringtons series on HE
c. Dan Harringtons 6 max - I think with this book it has concepts that are for a bit more advance or intermediate player I have not read it yet but I have taken a peek at it so not sure if I would start with this one
d. Phil Gordon's Little Green Book - I have taken a peek at all 4 and this so far is something that I like, I like how Phil writes makes it easier for me to understand

hope you guys can help me out

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My first poker book was Phil Gordon's and I really like it but keep in mind that all poker books treat villain's like poker players. Most villains in the micros (and I'm assuming you are playing micros) are not poker players.

I have read 3 books. My personal favorite is The Poker Blueprint that I only bought when I started playing 6max. Great book! But then again, better for higher stakes.

I can't stress this enough: if you are playing micros read books with a grain of salt. Ask questions in the forums, post hands time and time again. You'll get a lot of help and much more useful and contextualized information.

B

bjornseo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok will do thanks for the advice I have looked at the poker blueprint it is also a good book

I have played online but more often just cash games so you would recommend phils then!?

how about Dan Harringtons series on CG is it any good!?

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play micro 6max cash online I'd really recomend The Poker Blueprint but DO NOT use the raising semi-bluffs Nguyen details without knowing what your opponent calling range is because at least at 2NL (and I believe that at least until 10NL) people call with anything and it is not profitable.

Stu_Ungar said in a thread a couple of months ago: "Value bet and don't bluff. Repeat 50K times and move to 5NL." This sentence is better than any book. Read books for reference and increasing your knowledge if you play micros.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'd read Phil's Little Green Book first.. then go from there.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, if you're really new then Gordon's series will lay a good foundation to step up into Harrington and the like.
Plus there is no substitute for playing a lot of hands (measured in thousands - tens of thousands) to really understand what you are reading.
Poker is not a bunch of facts to acquire and call it good - it is craft that must be practiced.
It's really quite a balancing act.

B

bjornseo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok thanks guys for your advice I have started reading the little green book and probably move on to Harrington series of course experience is the best teacher just want something that would help point me to the right direction

So far I am liking Gordons book nice read

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most books have good. Reading and playing experience will help you with that. I've actually thought about starting a thread about what books to avoid. May be a better help.

Just don't play "by the book". Poker is situational and you can't always do the same thing all the time.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of us have read our books more than once. Next time will be my 4th time for HoH. I have another reference book that I glance at (1000 tips) all the time, catching one reminder after another. I can open it anywhere and get reminded about all the games I play.

For TAG, I suggest reading all our Golden Archives. Over the years what has been seen here is more than the equivalent book reading, and in many cases better. However, for LAG play (you will eventually need to know it) and structured donk moves (great decoys), we haven't done so well.

What games do you play?

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even though it is a bit of a difficult read for a beginner I always recommend "The Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky. What I learned from this book more than anything is how a winning poker player thinks about the game. Everything else is just details from there.

B

bjornseo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most books have good. Reading and playing experience will help you with that. I've actually thought about starting a thread about what books to avoid. May be a better help.

Just don't play "by the book". Poker is situational and you can't always do the same thing all the time.

thanks for the tip and I agree poker is really situation I am reading the little green book and move on from here maybe I will read on Harringtons books I like Harringtons on Holdem but its more geared towards tournaments and right now I am just playing cash games tournaments will be something far into the future for me so I might go with harrington on cash game

B

bjornseo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of us have read our books more than once. Next time will be my 4th time for HoH. I have another reference book that I glance at (1000 tips) all the time, catching one reminder after another. I can open it anywhere and get reminded about all the games I play.

For TAG, I suggest reading all our Golden Archives. Over the years what has been seen here is more than the equivalent book reading, and in many cases better. However, for LAG play (you will eventually need to know it) and structured donk moves (great decoys), we haven't done so well.

What games do you play?

This forum has helped me a lot thanks guys

I usually play cash games I have played online but prefer to mold my skills first in cash games then move on from there

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont know Poker for dummys, other than that a lot of good suggestions and advice ITT.

Some love Harringtons books, some dont. I do. Sklansky, as mentioned, a bit advanced but very good. Read it, then read it again after playing a while, it makes much more sense then. Actually doing this with any good book is good. Elements of Poker, not theory but a great book. Professional no limit holdem,. I love this book. The advice about poker books vs micros is very valid. Raising>folding>calling>bluffing.

B

bjornseo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even though it is a bit of a difficult read for a beginner I always recommend "The Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky. What I learned from this book more than anything is how a winning poker player thinks about the game. Everything else is just details from there.

I have seen the book and browsed it a bit, its a bit advanced but definitely something I will be taking a look at sometime in the future

B

bjornseo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont know Poker for dummys, other than that a lot of good suggestions and advice ITT.

Some love Harringtons books, some dont. I do. Sklanski, as mentioned, a bit advanced but very good. Read it, then read it again after playing a while, it makes much more sense then. Actually doing this with any good book is good. Elements of Poker, not theory but a great book. Professional no limit holdem,. I love this book. The advice about poker books vs micros is very valid. Raising>folding>calling>bluffing.

I agree with poker for dummies not sure that would get beginners like me into a good start but the other suggested books here are great

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dan Harrington books are one of the best, no matter if you are a begginer or not, so, I would definitely recomend to you his 3 books.