What Book Should I Read Next?

D

dwig7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just finished reading my first poker strategy book (Phil Gordons: Little Green Book). What do your recommend for me to read next.

R

Reducto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What type of poker are you focussing on? Tournaments or cash, live or online, just NL or a mix? Is there anything in particular you need to work on?

D

dwig7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play nl holdem. I play online and in some home games. I would like to improve my online play since the last book focused more on live play. I play mainly sngs (4 person heads up), multi sngs, and some sattelite tournaments with FPP. I'm strongest in the 4 person sngs. I win about 75% of the time in those sngs. I would like to improve my multi table play. I often get like 14th in a 180 person tournament. For example, the other day I had 27,000 chips and the average chip stack was 4,000 ( there was about 100 people left). I play so much worse when I have the chip lead. What book do you recommend that focuses on online play, but might help my live play?

W

WarEagle1266

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you like tourneys and sit and gos, then I would recommend The Full Tilt Poker Strategy Guide Tournament Edition. It has sections by Andy Bloch, David Grey, Chris Ferguson, Mike Matusow, Ted Forrest, Gavin Smith, and others. It focuses mainly on Hold 'em, but Matusow writes a section on Omaha Eight or Better, Ferguson writes a PLO section, and a few Stud Sections. If you haven't read Doyle Brunson's Super System, you should read it as well as I believe it is a nice building block for future reads, although it focuses almost entirely on cash games.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Great first choice of books!!! Phil's books are a good read imo and provide the reader with a good base to work from. His Little Blue Book is also worth reading.
I would suggest reading the Harrington On Holdem Series for your next go - Vol 1 & 2 (Tournament Play). [you should be able to pick them up thru your local library via an 'inter-library book loan'... but if not, they're worth purchasing as they are the type of books you'll want to read more than once although they are very well laid out, not overly technical etc. You'll want to read & review Vol.2 especially - the End Game. This is a good book that plugs many leaks of newer NLHE Tournamente players (ie. "I seem to get into the money in lots of tourneys but I never am able to place very high in them" - - a commonly heard story... one that Vol.2 will help with considerably).

If you decide to branch out more towards Sitn'Go play, you can't beat Collin Moshmann's book. SNG Strategy. It is considered as "The Bible of SNG play" on the 2p2 forum. In my opinion for sng's it is without parallel. If you play SNG's and are a break even player, I would guarantee that reading/studying this book will improve your game by ROI +10% minimum (and if you're fairly new to SNG's (under 100games or so) I think this book would improve one's game 100%). Prior to reading this book, I had read a zillion (okay... let's just say 'lots', lol) strategy articles on playing SNG's, had watched quite a few trainging videos and many,many HandHistory posts. I was basically a break-even player in 9-plyr. sng's... perhaps ROI+2% in the longrun. After reading this book my ROI soared to +27% over a 3mth. period.
If you play SNG's... get this book. It'll pay for itself in one session.
There's a free e-book online for SNG play,.... beginner to intermediate stuff,.. basically just a decent grounding for the game. It is called "Comedy Of Errors" and is around 20+ pages.

All suggestions above have been in reference to 'tourney-style' play of NLHE... I'm assuming this is what you are looking for. If cash game is your preference, there are other better books for this out there (HOH has a series on Cashgame play also, but there are other Cashgame books that other's would perhaps recommend over them).
Another thing you could read for playing 6-maxNL is Ryan Fees 6-maxNL Strategy Guide (a free e-book found at www.ryanfee.com ).

There are tons of books out there these days for NLHE tournament play. I think I've personally read well over 30 of them now in the past two years and have a bit of a collection on my shelves... although a few of them seem to remain out on the coffee table still.... one being Moshmann's SNG book & another being "Winning Poker Tournaments - One Hand At A Time" by Rizen, Apestyles & Pearl Jammer (I wouldn't recommend this book until after reading Harrington Series... it is geared mostly towards play at the highest MTT buyins online).

I'll pm you with info. on "Comedy Of Errors".
GL on the tables!

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take the summer off and read Lord of the Rings.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd follow it up with Gordon's Little Blue Book. It's a good read and puts a lot of the Little Green Book material in context.

After that, it really depends what you want to focus on. Harrington on Hold 'em is kinda the bible for tight-aggressive tournament play, it's definitely worth a read. And I found Killer Poker - No Limit by John Vorhaus to be an exceptionally good read. It encourages you to do a lot of self-analysis and really think about how your game is working. It can apply to all levels, and has material on both cash games and tournaments.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1984, then try Brave New World, then try On the Beach

P

pupkevicius

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for tournament play one of the best is "winning poker tournaments one hand at a time" by jon turner and two others.

it shows you in great detail how online pros play certain hands and what they are thinking at all times

greywind50

greywind50

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your looking for something different in poker strategy/thoughts look into

poker tournament formula by arnold synder

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely think you should put your down-payment on a book coming out later this year:

How To Win at Online Cash Game Poker AND HAVE KILLER ABS in 7 MINUTES!!!
By Sean Gibson

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't Moshman have a good HU sng book?