Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
"You're not as good as you think you are."

Applies to just about every situation and an incentive to get better.

Although the above happens not to apply to me, it's still my first choice.:rolleyes:

O

oreska7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont gamble while playing poker, you have slots for that... My grandad

A

alunelu33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Know when to fold, but go with youre instinct.

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never stop learning. There is constantly an evolving meta that needs to be studied and understood. This game will constantly evolve and the only way to stay relevant is to keep your thumb on the pulse. Like any skill, you never stop mastering it. Continued education to put it into 2 words.

M

MichaelFoerster

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I heard advices, many times from my friends like stop overplaying, concentrate on your game, don't react and feel scared etc....

T

ThomasDelgado

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bes5t poker I was hearing from my friend is you should be mucked if your opponent shows aggression because scared chip can never win a game.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never play when drunk, tired or horny. My Dad, 40 years ago when he found out I was losing my ass in college. He was right.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best advice I have received come from Bear when he sent me the tread about playing poker like it is war. And I'm going to start playing like that. I will be thinking my plays through and go back to playing tight most of my game.

akran75

akran75

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think..
playing cards is whore.first and basic thing to keep in mind when you start to play poker.They will sold you.
..and..play agresive :p

mange1234

mange1234

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best advise

I don't know if it is the best advise, but two things stands out;

Don't always wait for a monster hand to play the hand. If one waits, just for the monster hand, they will most likely lose in the long run. Play media hands and try to make them pay.

Always, watch the habits of the players, don't just play your cards.

mike

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't Stay in a Hand Just Because You're Already In It
Another common mistake beginners make is to think that "Well, I've already put that much in the pot, I have to stay in now." Nope. You can't win a pot just by throwing money at it. There may be cases when pot odds warrant a call, but if you're sure you're beaten, and there's no way your hand can improve to be the best hand, you should fold right away. The money you've already put in the pot isn't yours anymore, and you can't get it back just by playing a hand all the way to the end.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im just puzzled about horny...

2 same

As far as the best advice I ever heard? Literally the best advice I ever got is a tie between Dags telling me to jump into the $20/$40 limit game at Foxwoods, and then my friends telling me to stop playing $20/$40 limit and come play this crazy "No limit" game. I never have and likely never will make more money than what those two comments did for me. Each was a huge stepping stone in my path.

As far as traditional thoughts on "best advice" it's simple and I repeat it all the time: Think for yourself

Last edited:
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
have a reason for your actions

i cringe everytime i see the small blind min raise when there are a bunch of people in the pot....if you have aces you are not protecting them enough given your position, and if you have 34s you just gave yourself worse odds and you have the worst position

burgdogky

burgdogky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn to manipulate your "image" on the table, play the player, above all it's a business, therefore treat it as such! Personally, discipline was the hardest aspect of the game for me to master. Learning to become objective, rather than emotional has also helped to elevate my game.

-ME

counts24

counts24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have five grand in front of you and you are dominating the table, don't get up from the table to answer a phone call from your girlfriend. You will return a loser and then you will lose.

J

Jevrem

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't bluff an idiot. Guess this applies to lower levels and freerolls.
Also, Make your opponent think about your cards and not the opposite. Something like that... it's similar to easier to bet then to call, as some said already.

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dont throw good money at bad-numbers numbers numbers

S

Superman2102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really enjoy reading through all these replies haha both the funny and the serious! One of the better threads I've seen! Props!

T

ThePizzaman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"Emotion has no place in poker " Gavin Smith

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't let a bad beat get the best of you.... especially if you still have a decent amount of chips in play and are able to come back from it.

Emotions can affect the way you play in a great way and they can also determine whether you will come out on top or just count the seconds until you bust out.

I have been caught up in many many hands where I thought I had the best hand without a doubt only to be outplayed or beaten out by a stronger hand.... and when that happens I just remind myself to keep my composure.

There are times where I thought I was down and out, but I just kept a cool-head and played some damn good poker and found myself in the money many of times.

- Personal experience.

Good one, getting bad beat should actualy make you feel good. You made the right decision with the best hand. But you got out lucked aka bad beat. Don't hate the donkey, hate the game. And never give up with shortstack dont just shove. Even with under one bb left you can win.

Y

yekcir333

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
cards

play the player not the cards

Jull30

Jull30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If your cards don't combine with any combination with the general cards, dump the cards when someone places a rate.