What was the best advice you heard?

manolitosc

manolitosc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Follow your dreams, don´t give up, soon or later you will play in the wsop.

W

winningpoker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always dont play or bet on weak hands .... dont think it wil win always .... Prevention is better than cure

M

mycophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Pay attention and it'll pay you."

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Way back in the day, I was playing stud with a few of my cousins when my father passed through the room. He observed a few hands before continuing on with whatever he had been doing.

A couple days later, my brother and I were playing some card game or another, when my father came and sat down and offered to teach us a few things about poker. One of the first things he told me was that you only play the good cards and fold the bad ones.

It seems pretty basic, I know. But to this day, that is the basis of my poker strategy. Play the good ones and fold the bad ones. Of course that is not where my poker game ends. Once I have managed to build up a decent stack and have established a solid table image, I will widen my range and mix things up a bit. But when all else fails, I can always go back to basics. Fold the bad cards. Play the good ones.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never go full retard.

I say that to fish but they are too stupid to get it :D

B

Bjjartisan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bet 3x the big blind don't go all in

pokertroll

pokertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was listening to a WSOP Ladies Event webcast with Liz Lieu as a guest the event Final Table was being played real slow no one wanted to play lots of checks and folds-Liz was stating any Ace, low pairs,suited connectors in short handed play was worth being played it was a good lesson for me to get more aggressive with my playing style.

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to play opposite strategies as your opponent.

J

JackGrey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont go broke in a limped pot is the bect one I've heard so far

H

hezawizard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
kenny rogers - gambler, great song
"you never count your money when you're sitting at the table, there'll be plenty time for counting when the dealing's done" - this one and lots more of great lines

jmchezka

jmchezka

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ugh! i forgot where i learned this advice but i tend not to forget it. this is very true:

pick the right game for your skill level

there are people that jump into a $5/10 game after winning a huge bunch of money at $2/4. they're too excited they get carried away thinking that they already handle high stakes. what they do not understand is that as the stakes rises, so does the average skill level of the players.

sj_pi

sj_pi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn to take coolers in good spirit, else it can put a dent in the way you play.. read somewhere.

V

Vazh93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great advice that I got from the movie, Rounders.

"You don't gamble, you grind it out. Your goal is to win one big bet an hour, that's it. Get your money in when you have the best of it. Protect it when you don't."

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best advice I got, was never give up and don't tilt.
With that advice, I have come back and won from almost impossible situations.

developer716

developer716

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
more than 3 bet , watch the statistics !

jmchezka

jmchezka

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Select the right game for your skill level and pocket.

Don't jump into a game with higher stakes just because you just won an easier one. It's better to be the best player at an easier table than the loser at the harder one.

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To all of you who think position doesn't matter. The laws of averages and probabilities it's in favor to act as apposed to reacting. How do you react without position?

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously, no one? Ok i guess.....Cliche* YOU GOTTA KNOW WHEN TO HOLD THEM, KNOW WHEN TO FOLD THEM :p

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best advice and the one that I disregard most often:
"You are not the table police"

However when I see the same high stacked guy playing every hand with crap and either bullying people to fold or hitting outrageous hands I, eventually, crack and take them on when I get a reasonable hand. (0% of the time I lose, of course. There's a reason they have a big stack and that's because they are running like Gods, I've watched them doing so and yet my resolve to avoid them invariably cracks.

i Frenzy

i Frenzy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not the best advise but my step father once told me "Those pocket 2's are a monster when it comes down to it." Sixteen years later, it's my favorite hand =)