Weird play (folding without action)

Panamajoe

Panamajoe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand why an opponent would fold with no bet to them. I see it fairly regularly. I have occasionally tried to fold like that when I wasn't paying attention but the system always says something like "it is free to check do you really want to fold?"

So why would anyone do that, are there any good reasons?

CSYA14

CSYA14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would guess out of frustration. I myself have done this. Depending if this is preflop or after flop. Holding junk cards (ex 6-3 off) with a flop of (ex K J 10).
odds are against you that a player has more than a 6 and not worth the bother OR aggravation to play out the more than likely losing hand.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time I ever do that is in the poker stars open skill league.
There is a good reason for it.
Besides that I don't have a clue.

cjmoles

cjmoles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand why an opponent would fold with no bet to them. I see it fairly regularly. I have occasionally tried to fold like that when I wasn't paying attention but the system always says something like "it is free to check do you really want to fold?"

So why would anyone do that, are there any good reasons?

Yes, they don't want you to see their cards and they believe they have the losing hand....I do it all the time when I don't want to expose my hand for whatever reason.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its a bad idea esp on the flop cause u could always get runner runner and have trips. But i can definitely understand doing it on the turn or river OOP in order to not give away information if its a serious game .

cjmoles

cjmoles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, they don't want you to see their cards and they believe they have the losing hand....I do it all the time when I don't want to expose my hand for whatever reason.

Possible reasons: don't want others to get a read, don't want to look dumb, want to get onto the next hand as quickly as possible...etc:rolleyes:

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
May sound silly, but in SnG's (normally with a bad hand...) to make the action go quicker. If let's say I'm 1 of 3 player's left but think that another player(s) might square off causing an elimination if they only have to worry about a 2 instead of a 3-way+....

Other times it's just aggravation over a really bad hand....

P

pain_pain_go_away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The number one reason for me is sheer embarrassment!

& Then as said above; hide info, hurry the action & anger.

M

Mailbox13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always play with confidence, remember most of poker players who are successful, play people, not hands

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it happens sometimes, for me too I don't understand such a move, may be it's just a room's peculiarity.

M

MPaz_87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe the player doesn't want to show his cards because he doesn't have anything so sometimes it's better to fold in order to avoid others to see the cards.

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have very very rarely done this. Usually I do it when I KNOW Im beat, I wont put any more money in the pot and I KNOW someone is firing a another round of betting. I dont want to be used as a squeeze play and I want to see them headsup. Usually the person betting has the worst hand and I want to see how the person with the best hand, usually after me will act.

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, if its near the bubble time and Im on a multipot, if I fold I can induce others to kill each other by being less of a threat to them.

Panamajoe

Panamajoe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting posts, I honestly couldn't think a any good reason so Thanks a lot!

Folding in Poker