Weird idea

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tonight I had a weird idea for a poker variation that might be interesting. The hand rankings would remain the same. Two pair still beats a pair, flush still beats a straight, but with two hands of same ranking, lowball rules would be in effect. So the worst pair would win the pot if two people both have a pair as the highest hand ranking. The wheel would be the nut straight etc.

tusabes

tusabes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do they have to have the same pair or both just have to have a pair?

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do they have to have the same pair or both just have to have a pair?

In order for the lowball rules to take effect they both have to have a pair, where the lower of the pairs wins the pot. If they have the same pair kickers come into play where the lowest kicker wins.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's an interesting idea. I think 2-3 suited would become a very popular hand!

I don't play any lowball games, but I assume the flush 8TJQK is "lower" than 3456A, correct? Also, if you have a total of 6 suited cards, I assume you can throw out the highest ranked card in your game?

Very interesting. I think it would be much the same game but with 2-6 the desired range instead of T-A. OK, with straights, I guess A-5 would be best. That would throw it a little. Sometimes you want the ace, but usually not. Yeah, that is a twist. You should get some friends together and try it. And let us know how it goes! :)