UIGEA status update?

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has anyone heard anything about the current status of the UIGEA (Unlawful Internet gambling Enforcement Act)?

The last thing I read is Barney Frank was proposing that the deadline of the bill's enactment be changed from December 1, 2009 to December 1, 2010. As far as I know right now, no such change has been made.

I was wondering whether those of us who are US players should scramble to make deposits in the next 10 days just to be safe.

JLtrooper

JLtrooper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure, but I do know that starting Dec. 1, many banks will not be accepting checks from foreign gambling sites. I read in this month's copy of WPT Magazine that Utah and California have both issued statements to account holders known to have deposited funds from such sites that they will be cracking down.

G

gns2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While its still possible that something gets passed this year, I won't hold my breath. Hopefully 2010 will finally have something to show for it. In the meantime I am waiting for Pennsylvania to start up table games so I can put money into our state revenue can. Too bad the feds don't want any money... Kinda stupid if you ask me...

SystEmsuX

SystEmsuX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was wondering whether those of us who are US players should scramble to make deposits in the next 10 days just to be safe.
Don't you mean scramble to make withdrawals? I don't want even more of my money tied up online when Dec. 1 rolls around.

H

hccooley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought checks were issued from accounts that didn't directly denote online gaming sites. Am I wrong in assuming that?

D

DealtToHero

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone heard anything about the current status of the UIGEA (Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act)?

The last thing I read is Barney Frank was proposing that the deadline of the bill's enactment be changed from December 1, 2009 to December 1, 2010. As far as I know right now, no such change has been made.

Wrong! Withdrawls are actually protected under UIGEA. Plus, the checks are from 3rd party processors and aren't labeled as gambling checks. The banks honestly have no way to know what's a gambling transaction and what isn't. UIGEA was made to stop payments to the gaming sites, not from.

December 1 is an arbitrary day where absolutely nothing will happen (like Y2K). The regulations are already in effect now and have been since january, yet obviously they don't stop anything. December 1 is only important because the now Fed can fine banks for breaking the rules after that day. However, the Fed is neither monitoring nor auditing banks on their implementations as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no plans of depositing any money unless it's for some special promo the site is having.... My plans are to withdraw !!!
C-Ya'll

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure, but I do know that starting Dec. 1, many banks will not be accepting checks from foreign gambling sites. I read in this month's copy of WPT Magazine that Utah and California have both issued statements to account holders known to have deposited funds from such sites that they will be cracking down.

I'm in California and I haven't seen any kind of warning yet so maybe it's just certian banks.

B

BlackSmurfS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hope you could deposit at poker platforms to play with you.

I love US players are pretty good.

W

watchfanatic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
theyre too busy with the health care fraud, ahem 'reform', act now...we have to wait until better days...

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couple Good News Items to report on this (besides the fact it appears from what I read in the media not a lot will change):

1) Six Kentucky Congressmen (Democrats and Republicans) Support Pushing UIGEA Deadline Back One Year today, after they became mad that mastercard blocked the code used for Horse Racing in preparation for UIGEA even though Horse Racing is exempt
http://www.pokernews.com/news/2009/...-support-pushing-back-uigea-deadline-7585.htm

2) A recent article titled “U.S. Banks Offer “Due Diligence” as UIGEA Deadline approaches”, states that for now the extent most banks are willing to go is to send all Account Holders “due diligence” notices with their bank statements similar to this:

“As a (fill in the blank) customer, we’d like to inform you that in accordance with the requirements of the Unlawful Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 and Regulation GG, certain transactions are prohibited from being processed through your account

Prohibited transactions include those in which a person accepts credit, funds, or other proceeds from another person in connection with unlawful internet gambling. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this regulation, please contact us.”

If poker players are lucky, the initial indications are that banks are going to send out these letters to all customers telling them that the UIGEA is now law and please don’t bet online. We can only hope this is the case, and that all the people fighting for online poker in the United States will eventually allow Americans to play poker online in their own homes.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wrong! Withdrawls are actually protected under UIGEA. Plus, the checks are from 3rd party processors and aren't labeled as gambling checks. The banks honestly have no way to know what's a gambling transaction and what isn't. UIGEA was made to stop payments to the gaming sites, not from.

December 1 is an arbitrary day where absolutely nothing will happen (like Y2K). The regulations are already in effect now and have been since january, yet obviously they don't stop anything. December 1 is only important because the now Fed can fine banks for breaking the rules after that day. However, the Fed is neither monitoring nor auditing banks on their implementations as far as I know.

Last edited by dakota-xx : 22nd November 2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: removed self promotion

Should be completely deleted as the OP has no idea what he is talking about :)

DaBigBoss

DaBigBoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree , the news as of today (posted earlier) is that the fed is considering pushing a year to get the clear defintions of online gambling.:deal:

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should be completely deleted as the OP has no idea what he is talking about :)

That would be me and I'm a she :D. I was actually paraphrasing something I'd read in Poker Player Newspaper. And yes, clearly I was clueless but, thanks to the responses to my original post, I'm now gaining a fuller understanding of and more clarity about the issue and for that I am very grateful.

percy312

percy312

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this just for US players or international aswell? Also, are sites like FT,PS,UB,etc. illegal?

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That would be me and I'm a she :D. I was actually paraphrasing something I'd read in Poker Player Newspaper. And yes, clearly I was clueless but, thanks to the responses to my original post, I'm now gaining a fuller understanding of and more clarity about the issue and for that I am very grateful.

I read WEC's comment as referring to DealtoHero's post (it had been edited by a moderator) -- good thread LarkMarlow, I was wondering what the stat was as well.

Syracuseeee

Syracuseeee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I have been away for the past few months, Should it be okay to continue online as usual? Most checks from FT and PS are from foreign banks so how would local banks be aware anyways

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read in this month's copy of WPT Magazine that Utah and California have both issued statements to account holders known to have deposited funds from such sites that they will be cracking down.

Crack down how? This is about banks and not account holders. There is nothing in the law agianst having a check from a gambling site or trying to cash one. It's the banks problem not the account holder.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I read WEC's comment as referring to DealtoHero's post (it had been edited by a moderator) -- good thread LarkMarlow, I was wondering what the stat was as well.

Yea - he was definitely not talking about you. :)

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I have been away for the past few months, Should it be okay to continue online as usual?
While of course that is up to each individual, I personally am going to keep playing as usual. I remember when the law was first passed there was a bit of an exodus but the majority of US players stayed. To this day when I play live some people invariably express shock that I'm still playing online "But that's illegal", they say. I tell them I refuse to comply with a law that I feel is unjust and I won't be scared away.

Most checks from FT and PS are from foreign banks so how would local banks be aware anyways
I've wondered the same thing myself. Perhaps someone can clarify this for us.

Syracuseeee

Syracuseeee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the responses I appreciate it

Syracuseeee

Syracuseeee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well just found out that Mastercard and visa are not allowing debit card use anymore for any Gaming related websites so guess my only option now is Western Union

DaBigBoss

DaBigBoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are u talkin about!I used my visa card this morning...this better not be true!:mad:

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the institution, I think. My Bank of America Visa works just fine too...others don't. Also, I've used echecks on Stars ever since the Netteller debacle and that works great too.

I have heard that there is some stuff going on with NY banks in particular...maybe that's why Syracusee is running into trouble.