UIGEA question

S

Sohmurr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I understand it, the "Unlawful Internet Gaming Enforcement Act" (UIGEA) is exactly what it sounds like. It's meant to provide enforcement against unlawful online gaming (via prohibiting banks from interacting with gaming sites).

But which law stipulates what constitutes "unlawful internet gaming". Thanks in advance for clarification.

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here you go, from the UIGEA. Good Luck.

(10) UNLAWFUL INTERNET gambling.
(A) IN GENERAL.—The term 'unlawful Internet gambling' means to place, receive, or otherwise knowingly transmit a bet or wager by any means which involves the use, at least in part, of the Internet where such bet or wager is unlawful under any applicable Federal or State law in the State or Tribal lands in which the bet or wager is initiated, received, or otherwise made.
(B) INTRASTATE TRANSACTIONS.
The term 'unlawful Internet gambling' does not inelude placing, receiving, or otherwise transmitting a bet or wager where
(i) the bet or wager is initiated and received or otherwise made exclusively within a single State;
(ii) the bet or wager and the method by which the bet or wager is initiated and received or otherwise made is expressly authorized by and placed in accordance with the laws of such State, and the State law or regulations include-
(I) age and location verification requirements reasonably designed to block access to minors and persons located out of such State; and
(II) appropriate data security standards to prevent unauthorized access by any person whose age and current location has not been verified in accordance with such State's law regulations; and
(iii) the bet or wager does not violate any provision of-
(I) the Interstate Horseracing Act of 1978 (15 U.S.C. 3001 et seq.);
(II) chapter 178 of title 28 (commonly known as the 'Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act');
(III) the Gambling Devices Transportation Act (15 U. S. C. 1171 et seq.); or
(IV) the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (25 U.S.C. 2701 et seq.).

D

devilmafia11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey thanks for this info mate, i need it
BB.gif

pokerchris

pokerchris

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here you go, from the UIGEA. Good Luck.

(10) UNLAWFUL INTERNET GAMBLING.
(A) IN GENERAL.—The term 'unlawful Internet gambling' means to place, receive, or otherwise knowingly transmit a bet or wager by any means which involves the use, at least in part, of the Internet where such bet or wager is unlawful under any applicable Federal or State law in the State or Tribal lands in which the bet or wager is initiated, received, or otherwise made.

But there is NO applicable Federal law which says internet bet or wager is unlawful. The fed is cooking up a none existing law.

N

nightmoves44

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
?

I really hope these targeted poker sites,have made enough money to hire the very best of the best attorneys,and can bring about something to help online poker...

I really hope the sites can take this fight all the way to the supreme court,if legislation isnt passed beforehand...then maybe the UIGEA can be debated.

Actually the UIGEA is part of the Safe Ports Act....do you feel any safer now?????????

Last edited: