Top 5 reasons why im not a winning player

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so, after spending some time on this forum and doing A LOT of reading, ive come up with a list of reasons why i think im not winning. however, i have known about these problems for quite some time and simply knowing these problems doesnt seem to help me fix them.

so im going to post them in order of importance, with #1 being the biggest problem. any insight on how to avoid or overcome these problems is appreciated:

1. I dont know everything about poker - when i first began, odds and position meant nothing. i simply played. ive learned a bit since then, but i still dont know every aspect of good play. just recently i learned about push/fold strategy and until then i would limp in with a chunk of my stack late in the game because i was scared to lose. now ive been reading a lot more about pot odds, implied odds, position, and so on. is it possible to list every important aspect in one post?

2. Positive/Negative Tilt - ive noticed a trend with tilting. when i first make a deposit i win a few tournaments because im motivated to play. i usually play at the top of my game after making a deposit. two things happen then: i either go on positive tilt because i feel like im dominating and lose to someone who has a better hand, or i get beat by an underhanded player and go on negative tilt. in either case, once tilting begins i almost always lose the rest of my deposit. i feel like im playing the same but somehow i must be losing my focus. Any ideas? my stats are usually the same, but am i playing more loose in a subtle way? how does tilting affect you?

3. Playing Style - I play tight aggressive because it works better than any other strategy i played with. but im still losing. i fold rags that hit and play big cards that miss. is that just an unfortunate game or am i missing something? if my big cards miss too much for too long i will end up on tilt.

4. Motivation/Patience/Tolerance - this ties in very much with tilting, but i dont always need to be on tilt to lose my motivation or patience. for example im playing well and not tilting. I finally hit my ace pair, and some guy whose been playing overly aggressive keeps shooting at me. i decide to call his bluff and go all in. im confident ill win, but i lose. did i just lose patience? if so, how do i avoid or overcome these situations?

5 Conflicting advice - one site says "hold em isnt a game of all ins". another site says "push/fold strategy is amazingly viable." heres another example: "the flop pretty much determines the outcome of the hand, so fold with nothing. dont be a donkey and chase flush draw". the other advice: "always consider implied odds. call a raise with a flush draw"/
So who is right? i dunno, and sometimes reading all this crap is damn confusing. is there a proper mix of strategies? it seems like every damn player thinks hes amazing and gives advice in absolutes- "always do this, never do that". ughhhhhh

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What games,buyins levels are you playing, and whats your bankroll?

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm no expert, but a few quick thoughts.

1. No one does. And no.

2. What is positive tilt? Isn't tilt just tilt? You might want to read up on BRM if you are losing your deposits.

3. Happens.

4. Losing patience with agressive players is a sure way to lose.

5. You also have to differentiate between tournament play and cash games. In a tourney, the chips you have are worth more.

How long have you been playing? Only tournaments? How many a day?

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from what i read, positive tilt is when your tilted with happiness. lol. yes tilt is tilt but for the purpose of this forum i wanted to differentiate the two because i lose when im feeling good, and also when im pissed off. it just illustrates how frustrated i am.

and i play low stakes. recently ive been play single table SnGs, sometimes 10 a day or more.i gave up on cash games a while ago. there seemed to be way too much variance and people often call rags in low stakes cash.

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh and another thing about cash games is that i think they are really vulnerable to collusion. i hear often about anti collusion software and blah blah blah, but i simply refuse to believe that collusion is rare. i think its quite common at low levels to be honest.
i will certainly avoid games where half the table is showing profit.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gives advice in absolutes- "always do this, never do that"
Your questions are very general and your post is very long, but I can tell you this in one sentence:

If anyone gives you poker advice with the word "always", they're wrong.

One of the most popular (and most useful) pieces of advice in poker is "it depends". Learning what "it" depends on is one of the most important things you can do.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm 100% positive that you play too many hands and play them too passively.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'd suggest:
READ > Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book"

then, stick with one format (& if it's SNG's.. then STICK to them).

Play a bunch, read some SNG guides/articles.
Then READ > Collin Moshmann's SitNGo Strategy (book)

Even after just reading Gordon's book you'll be way better off imo.

MidyMat

MidyMat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is this " Patience, Bankroll Management and Ego Control ". Learn it and Love it. Learn all the Poker Variants. Take up H.O.R.S.E.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm no expert, but a few quick thoughts.
1. No one does. And no.
2. What is positive tilt? Isn't tilt just tilt? You might want to read up on BRM if you are losing your deposits.
3. Happens.
4. Losing patience with agressive players is a sure way to lose.
5. You also have to differentiate between tournament play and cash games. In a tourney, the chips you have are worth more.
How long have you been playing? Only tournaments? How many a day?
I like your answers, bullet points and all.
I suggest taking Poker Orfice's Advice, its a good read.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i played a 'horse' freeroll on carbon.
i didn't have a clue what i was doing except
for the holdem rounds.
to the OP,
start with bankroll management.
take it one step at a time.
i am certainly no expert but i'm a winner at micro now
and will probably never go bust. (BRM)
(except for full tilt who bust all of us lol)
check back here often
lots of help and good advice
post some hands for discussion.

now...... where's my horse tables .
good luck.

Last edited:
F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not sure what type of games you are playing most, but say you are playing single table SnG ... you have to look at almost as 4 or 5 different phases

early - you simply won't/can't play the same style late as you play early on ... in the early part (say 8-10 players left) you might want to sit on the sidelines a bit while maniacs wipe each other out and get a feel for the table … the table might not be raising much and u might be able to limp with some speculative hands … maybe you hit trips vs. top pair, top kicker … or end up with a boat vs. a flush and get paid off … implied odds are something to think about here … the blinds and pots are not huge … you can afford a limp/or loose call a continuation bet at this point … you won’t be able to do that later unless you have built a big stack

don’t feel that you need to win 5-10 pots during this phase … you could lose 4 pots and win 1 big/double up pot and accomplish all your early phase goals in one hand … let’s say you started with 1500 got down to 1200 and then doubled up with something like AA vs. AK to 2400 … ur set for the mid phase

mid-phase (5-7 players) to me is about opportunity … maybe you notice a player is sitting on his big stack and you can steal from him … maybe somebody is sitting out .. maybe small stacks are just waiting for that big hand and can be bullied … maybe another player’s wife is yelling at him and he is pushing all in with nothing … again you can actually win only a few pots, maybe one big one and have a very successful mid-phase

bubble (4 players) – ok you have made it to one spot away from the money – no shame in sitting on a big stack here … and if you are short, well you know what you have to do … short stack play is so vital , IMO, naturally wait for a good hand, but you can’t wait forever … at the very least try to get it in vs. only one other player

late – ok the blinds are high, you’ve already cashed, this can be the fun time … sure it’s a lot of push/fold, but there is still plenty of strategy … you don’t want to settle for 3rd even if you are short … think about how you have played so far .. if you didn’t play / raise a lot of pots … show many bluffs the remaining players probably feel you are playing it pretty straight up … well now is your time to start mixing it up on them … I think the key here is to not relax, to not settle … try to play their hand more than your hand

HU – again don’t relax, don’t be going good game (in your head anyway), there’s no participation trophy in poker … one or two big hands generally decides a HU … play backwards … keep the pressure on … play their cards … don’t act too fast and give away an online tell …get it in with the best and get the big prize … whoo hoo … oops sry got carried away

D

David G

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game is so much more than just how to play.

I'd pretty much not recommend it to anyone starting out with the goal of taking it very serious. That is, unless I thought they had all it takes which is a lot of attributes.

My advice to you would be to find a level playing field with people of your own skill level and try and excel there. Online has gotten tough even at the low limits, so I'd suggest looking for home games or semi-low limit games at brick and mortar establishments.

Good luck and try and enjoy yourself,

Dave

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its good to know what you dont know

its good to know what you dont know

try changing things up