Tips on getting back in ?

wrung24

wrung24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I'm currently serving in the swiss army since the 1st of november of this year. Everything is going ok apart from what already feels like the coldest winter ever here in switzerland. The problem with this is I've only really got a full day off per week and I'm really only using this for sleeping. No time at all for poker (I played in a couple CC freerolls which I enjoyed).

Starting next saturday I have two weeks off for the holidays and I'm looking to get some hands in (I play 6max cash on stars, mostly 2nl but some 5nl). What do you think I should do to get my brain back into poker mode ?

Should I just dive back in head first ?
Should I just about start from scratch and review the basics ?
Should I review some of my winning sessions ?
Any other ideas ?

Thanks a bunch

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play for the ENJOYMENT!

Two weeks does not sound like much of a window of oppurtunity...I think I would pick a tounament or two per day and just have some fun sort of like sharpening all your tools before you build your house! GL ...:santaclau :santaclau :santaclau

pdias666

pdias666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play some SNG's the get the feel back in :)

wrung24

wrung24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah two weeks isn't a lot, but it's enough to get back into a little bit of a groove I think. I'm not sure how much poker I'm going to try to get in, but apart from the catching up with tv shows and movies, plus a little bit of re-socializing, I have all the rest of the time to play poker (no golf here in winter unfortunately) ... A sng or two sounds like a good idea.

D

Da Jig is Up

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whatever you choose to play, read about it when you're away from the game and that'll make playing it much better and more successful when you're ready. Read about strategies and such.

Good luck.

sCATpoker

sCATpoker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much time..2 weeks...at least for me as you find in many sports if im gone for awhile i dont seem to be as sharp as a player. So not really much time to sharpen skills at least it wouldnt be for me. If i were you i would just find whatever game you enjoy playing the most and roll with it...and most of all have fun whatever you may decide.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since you are a 6-max, micro player, play some rings.
Stick to what you are familiar with. Tournaments require different strategy than ring games, so I don't think it's a good idea to go switching back and forth from that.

I started out at 6-max micros myself, and it took awhile to adjust to tournament strategy. Full ring games are different creatures, and tournaments are way different and many levels (blinds increase, you have to eliminate people, you don't get to table select, stacks get short, the payout structure is way different, etc.).

So I suggest you keep it simple and concentrate on your preferred game. 6-max is like concentrated poker, and I think it really does a great job at teaching you the tricks of the game. In full ring you can sit back and be lazy, but in 6-max there's more activity so you're forced to make more decisions, which (right or wrong) help one to better understand the game.

Once you're comfortable and feel like expanding your game
go ahead and try tournaments or whatever.

Hi all,

I'm currently serving in the swiss army since the 1st of november of this year. Everything is going ok apart from what already feels like the coldest winter ever here in Switzerland. The problem with this is I've only really got a full day off per week and I'm really only using this for sleeping. No time at all for poker (I played in a couple CC freerolls which I enjoyed).

Starting next saturday I have two weeks off for the holidays and I'm looking to get some hands in (I play 6max cash on stars, mostly 2nl but some 5nl). What do you think I should do to get my brain back into poker mode ?

Should I just dive back in head first ?
Should I just about start from scratch and review the basics ?
Should I review some of my winning sessions ?
Any other ideas ?

Thanks a bunch

Poker Tips