Things that annoy you about online poker

S

stuedoopoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, just a thread to share our annoyances. Mine are all related to the fact I play heads up cash, and I will only play people who buy in for the max (or close to it if it is the last of their bankroll). I only play for 250bbs at 1p2p but I do ok at it. Here are the things that really annoy me when I ask for the max. And I am polite (unless they are rude to me) I will ask for £5 and usually say please.

All villian reponses when they sit with £1 or £2.

1. "Scared?"

This is the most common reply. and the most ironic since its YOU that will not buy in full.

2. "You have the advantage"

What the hell? how can I possibly have an advantage - am risking £5 to gain £1!

Number 3 comes when I reply to them asking why I want them to buy in for £5. I tell them I can lose £5 yet only win £1. simple maths you would have thought....but not for John Q Fish

3."No, you can only lose £1"

I have given up trying to explain why this is incorrect!

How about you guys...............

Never argue with a window licker, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Last edited:
tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol

Dont call people retards.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP needs to switch to checkers.

S

stuedoopoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cosmic, now I can sleep easy.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol @window lickers, but much better than the word you first used ;)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3."No, you can only lose £1"

I have given up trying to explain why this is incorrect!
Try again.

I mean I'm not saying you shouldn't ask them to buy-in full but I think you fail to understand that the effective stack size is only equal to the smaller stack. So if drooler A has $1 you can only lose $1 to him (unless you decide to keep playing after he stacks you but that's the same if he had a 250bb stack as well).

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does you playing with $5 and him playing with $1 = you risking $5 to win $1?

H

hawtshawt420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is pretty annoying when people tell me what to buy in. Late when I just play to do something I'll usually buy the change in my roll. Maybe plus a buck or two if the change is low. My pov is you want me to buy max because you think you can take my whole stack. If I do ultimately get dominated I'm not sticking around for a whole stack to disappear and if I did buy max id be leaving after a buck or so anyway.
As far as risking 5 for 1. That's if he kills you. Why would you stay at a table where you're getting killed to the point that you blow a stack 5x? And letting them buy 1 let's them not hit and run your whole stack. Just because you want to play 200+ hands doesnt mean they're there for more than 5. Or even just 1

S

stuedoopoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does you playing with $5 and him playing with $1 = you risking $5 to win $1?

Simple maths as in, you have to consider more than one hand.

For example

assume all hands are all in and ignore rake

hand 1 villain wins

stacks now Hero £4 Villian £2

Hand 2 villain wins

stacks now Hero £2 Villian £4

Hand 3 villain wins

stacks now Hero £0 Villian £6

- - - - - - - - - -

Now assume all hands all in again from the start: Hero £5 villain £1

Hand 1 Hero wins

Stacks now hero £6 Villian £0

Villian sods off

- - - - - - - -

The above is all extreme case, but make it easy to explain the numbers and risk to reward

So villain had the opportunity to win £5 and hero was only ever able to win a maximum of £1

When these people make mistakes I want to punish them for stacks.

Comprendo?

@ hawtshawt420

"If I do ultimately get dominated I'm not sticking around for a whole stack to disappear and if I did buy max id be leaving after a buck or so anyway."

Never heard of variance? some times the best hand gets draw out on, and shortstackers have ok implied odds to chase draws. plus I crush these stakes, not that I am an amazing player, I just use solid ABC and dont do stupid things.

And most people do stick around until they have lost the whole £5, they dont have the brains to realise they will usually lose the whole stack. When people get outplayed they just go tilty and makes finishing the job even easier.

"Just because you want to play 200+ hands doesnt mean they're there for more than 5. Or even just 1"

Thats totally fine, I am not saying "YOU MUST BUY IN MAX" I simply let them know, in a nice way that I only play for the max. and I dont want to play against hit and runners.

Last edited:
H

hawtshawt420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He means you buying $1. not them.

You said you don't tell them they must but then you refuse to play if they don't? i know you ask politely but not playing them w/o max is the same as saying you must buy max to play.

and the variance thing. yes i have heard of variance. it's probably one of the most overused words on this forum. I get the implied odds but at that level most of your opponents either won't or it won't matter. and they'll either suck out 1 dollar or they'll suck out 5.

If they would have stayed for the whole 5, why wouldn't they buy $1 5 times. basically minimizing what you can lose on 1 lucky suckout.

It seems this thread has gotten a bit argumentative. It was a good topic idea but it looks like I do alot of the things that annoy you and you do things that annoy me.

To try to revive it, Sometimes i play the heads up ring games. limit and for no more than .25/.50. regardless of winning or not I usually click sit out on bb as soon as the other guy reloads (i say regardless of winning but why would he add money if he's just taking mine, so i guess i am winning when the other guy reloads). I could see how this could be annoying to others. My pov is i just won 50% or more of your stack and chances are good you'll change your style. either recklessly and donk me on something stupid or get really tight and legit win your money, and some of mine, back.

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

For example

hand 1 villain wins

Hand 2 villain wins

Hand 3 villain wins

stacks now Hero £0 Villian £

Then why don't you just reload to the max every time he doubles up? Then you'll be playing with the same size stacks, which is what you wanted in the first place!

The fact is, while sitting with $1 he can only win $1. Sure if he doubles up he'll be on $2, but then it's a completely new situation, where he is risking $2 to win $2.

In a cash game, the only relevant stack sizes are the effective ones, so your argument is just invalid.

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is pretty annoying when people tell me what to buy in.
Hahahaha. This is frigging great with the thing that bugs Stue.

I think I kinda get what Stue is trying to say I just don't think hes quite putting it right. Aldito explains the best why his logic is wrong though.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
buying in for $2 at 1p/2p is still 100bb deep, how is that annoying, the guy just saying HU4$5ROLLZ is more annoying

pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get too annoyed with anything specific as far as playing online is concerned but something that really cheeses me off is when other people ruin things before the tourney's even started. Recently, I was going to play a freeroll on pokerstars which was only for members of a different (and vastly inferior) website to Cardschat. I'd fulfilled my qualification and logged into the website a few minutes before the tourney started, ready to pick up the password. Time went by and nothing. Then it went past the start of the tourney, no password given and the tourney was cancelled. The next day, I found out that the week before, some numbnut people had posted the password to that week's tourney in lots of places so instead of a few hundred playing it was several thousand. As punishment for that, the website didn't post any more passwords and then changed the qualification criteria! And I'd actually decided to stay in instead of going out (it was a Saturday night) just to play this tourney. So that kind of thing really gets on my nerves because nobody likes having their time wasted.

seachicken

seachicken

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know you are talking about online play but i play a lot of live cash games and almost never will i buy in for the max. If it is a new game and everyone is starting out than yeah i will buy for a decent amount. But if i am new to the table and i don't know anyone at the table why am i going to jump in for the full amount.

I am not looking to hit and run but if a table has been going for several hours and I sit down I am at a disadvantage. It's real easy to ask the dealer for another marker or pull more cash out of your pocket. But you can't pull money off the table. Plus this makes my job easier. I have had to simplify how i play and now i can focus on what matters most. YOU!

But i love the term window licker. It's one of my all time favorite insults and until now it has been lost in my subconscious for too long.

J

Julia_H

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

For example

hand 1 villain wins

Hand 2 villain wins

Hand 3 villain wins

- - - - - - - - - -

Hand 1 Hero wins

Villian sods off

- - - - - - - -

Even if you don't reload, Villain has to stack you three times in a row to win your £5. You only need to stack him once. Assuming equal skill, you should be doing that far more often...

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

For example

hand 1 villain wins

Hand 2 villain wins

Hand 3 villain wins

- - - - - - - - - -

Hand 1 Hero wins