Surviving the Bubble (Revisited)

C

chapstick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to think that if I were below the bubble, I would have to play aggressive in order to get above the bubble, then play extremely tight. I now realize that even if you're below the bubble, if you play extremely tight, you're still move likely get ITM based on the fact that chip leader will be very aggressive and eventually suck out on someone. I've seen it happen over and over again playing online poker.

What are your strategies for play as a chip leader near the bubble, middle of the pact near the bubble, slightly above and below the bubble?

Chap

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if im below average in chips ile ride out the bubble on the theory which u pointed out that large staks will tend to hit cards an bbully shorties.....theres nothin wrong with riding out the bubble then making your play wen uve cashed,,,,let the big staks take the risk,,,theres no shame in that....but wen ive got chips ,i do luv to bully

Z

zzzaacckk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bubble play is all about position. Chip stacks are important but when it comes down to it, as long as its not short stack vs huge stack, no one in the middle is going to want to risk a significant portion of their stack. Play the positions on the table, try and steal once or so per orbit and get ITM.

P

pokermario

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that around the bubble is definitely a good time to try and steal some blinds as many of the shorter stack will blind them selves down hoping to cash, My rule is never get involved with anyone with more chips than myself unless I flop the nuts or have aces, maybe kings but I've still seen players stack off with AK and your kings hold.... until that river ace peels off good luck!

F

Fokyernh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
When i'm on the bubble..I'll usually just play extremely tight and not really try to risk anything just wait and wait til i at least make the money..then start making moves after that

S

sharpone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im a pro

I usually survive the bubble when im not trying to win the tournament, just trying to cash. But if i am trying to win i might get out on the bubble but it would be a caculated decision, and i would have settled with the risks i take anyway.

M

mozart5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i am a big stack i will bully as much as possible. above average stack i will wait for the bubble to pass and then play after a few more have left. the other two positions are the times when i will try and build up my stack because i am not so much worried about the bubble as putting myself in position to win. i do bubble out often but i play to win a tournament when i sit down to one.

K

kill n laugh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me i normally wait to get into the money before playing aggressively to take down blinds...