Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone!

I am currently reading Doyle's "Super System." I have read bits and pieces so far, focusing on the chapters that currently apply to me most (hold'em and 7-stud). I have noticed that the text seems to be a bit dated...

...not to say that is a bad thing, but even the glossary has terms in it that I have never heard before in my life or stand for things that have other, more modern names today (example: I never hear an A-5 straight called a bicycle; it's usually called a wheel).

In everyone's opinion, do you think that some of the advice being given still holds true today in our ever-changing poker scene?

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
Not really , as poker changing too much quickly without any notice. we Need to Change our game consitently to stay ahead of field. but it is not easy anyway. cometition has grown so much tougher.

Z

Zin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best system is paying attention at the table your playing at. The biggest mistake most players make is not paying attention when not involved in a hand.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super System is one of the best poker books I read.

There are many variants and the "odds and probabilities" are listed at the end part.

But then again, books are guide for us. Its a foundation about theories. Its up to us to apply and adjust.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's been several years since I've read it but yeah, the NLHE section in particular is a long way out of touch with the modern game.

It was written with live, high-stakes cash games in mind, at a time when most players were weak-tight. Trying to apply its strategies wholesale to a low-stakes online games today would be suicidal.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your input, everyone.

I do read a lot of poker literature (these forums, books, blogs, online articles) and one thing I have realized is that everyone has their own style and system; it's important to gather knowledge but not take it as a literal "solution" to every situation or even your own style of play. It's just there to help us get into the right mindset and give us ideas about how to approach the game.

Again, thank you!

yeezus

yeezus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super system is a good book to have in your repertoire. The game has drastically changed since this book has came out. Poker has gotten 1000 times harder and fish are turning into decent players everyday. Its a constant fight to stay ahead of the curve keep fighting the good fight though and good luck on the felt.

F

floweryhead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use SS & SS2 for the alternate games (games other than NLHE) it's too dated to be of value for NLHE but is a good starting point for Razz and Stud etc...Although... if you use it as a starting point you can go on to study another book on NLHE and see that there's more to it than instinct.