Stupid - but got away with it

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got home from work and fancied playing a little game, nothing too tough. I signed up for a $8 turbo rebuy satellite to the big Sunday game on the Ongame network. 56 entrants for 5 seats. Played a few hands. By level 3, I had knocked out two or three opponents and was chipleader. :)

It was warm in the house and it`s been a hard day at work. I dozed off. Woke up about 15 minutes later to find I have missed the addon break, half the field are gone, and I am now short-stacked and last. :(

Got focused, played some more and wound up qualifying in second place and getting my seat (worth $200). :) Could have won outright easily enough, but sat out once I knew I was certain to qualify.

I am not going to suggest that sleeping through the middle of the tournament is a smart way to play, or that it will form part of my strategy in future, but it worked fine this time.

What is the dumbest thing you ever got away with at the tables ?

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The dumbest thing I do, and I do it regularly, is to sit out of whatever tournaments I'm in for dinner. In our house a proper sit down dinner is very high on the priorities list so I've gotten used to just closing the ole Mac & letting the chips fall where they may.

:eating:

blackmax

blackmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i seem to wonder off during tourny's all the time but then again i have 3 little ones around that makes wondering from time to time a must.Funny thing is i do pretty good when i wonder off for a few hands.

N

noname65

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My dumbest move was misreading the cards and believing I had a straight when I actually had a gutshot. So like an idiot I called an all-in and got eliminated.

As for getting away with something stupid, on one occasion I went all in with a dominated hand. I had AT and the other player had JJ. The board came up KKQQ3 and I won. I ended up cashing for about 10 times my buyin in that tournament.

M

mrmood6007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the dumbest move I ever made was thinking that I had a made flush when I needed one more card to hit. The funny thing is that I and played it like I had a flush, and since I believed it myself I gave off no tells that would have made my opponent think I was bluffing. I remember shoving on the river, and the guy stared at me for three minutes before ultimately folding. He told me that it was obvious that I had it, and when I turned my cards over to show that I wasn't bluffing after he folded, everyone started applauding me, saying that it was a great bluff. It was then I realized I only had one diamond, and I cracked up, and played it off like it was a great bluff!

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I did a lot of dumb things and got away with it.

I recall I once called a two way allin preflop with 88 against debi and another cc member in a freeroll. :eek:

Both showed AA and I turned an 8.:D

Need to get the screeny from the other PC ...

I won the game.

The sleep though strategy I used in a FT PLO freeroll tourney 2 years ago I had entered for practice...

I fell asleep in mid game being massive chipleader and woke up winning 8$ since i had made it to the FT. :cool:

I suck at PLO and was even worse back then and would have donked it all off in the 2 hours it lasted... ;)

gnk2727

gnk2727

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got home from work and fancied playing a little game, nothing too tough. I signed up for a $8 turbo rebuy satellite to the big Sunday game on the Ongame network. 56 entrants for 5 seats. Played a few hands. By level 3, I had knocked out two or three opponents and was chipleader. :)

It was warm in the house and it`s been a hard day at work. I dozed off. Woke up about 15 minutes later to find I have missed the addon break, half the field are gone, and I am now short-stacked and last. :(

Got focused, played some more and wound up qualifying in second place and getting my seat (worth $200). :) Could have won outright easily enough, but sat out once I knew I was certain to qualify.

I am not going to suggest that sleeping through the middle of the tournament is a smart way to play, or that it will form part of my strategy in future, but it worked fine this time.

What is the dumbest thing you ever got away with at the tables ?

You must have a really comfortable chair to fall asleep in like that while playing poker. Some of the dumbest things I've done include misreading my cards mistaking A4 for AA and misreading the suit of my card before I turned on 4 color cards.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must have a really comfortable chair to fall asleep in like that while playing poker.

Yes. It`s a soft leather tilting high-back chair. It came from the Boardroom of a company I worked for more than ten years ago. They let me keep it as a memento when I left the company and it has the place of honour in my study.

It was a very smart chair at one time. It`s old and battered now and my wife wants to replace it, but I won`t let her because it`s really comfy.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. It`s a soft leather tilting high-back chair. It came from the Boardroom of a company I worked for more than ten years ago. They let me keep it as a memento when I left the company and it has the place of honour in my study.

It was a very smart chair at one time. It`s old and battered now and my wife wants to replace it, but I won`t let her because it`s really comfy.

:icon_thum

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I too have miss read A/4 for A/A, but luck was on my side and I still hit my set, but, it still made me look like a donk, I was on my Laptop.

I have also fallen asleep in front of the same Laptop, (I had a back Problem at the time), and was lying down on my stomach while playing. Luckily the Battery got low and the alert woke me up, but it didnt matter, it was too late.