slow playing cost 2 people their stacks

T

tjharper23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i was involved in one weird hand last night where a player slow-playing allowed me to break him and a second player who would have actually won the huge pot if i had not. the blinds were 1.2-2.4k and i was on the button with Qh-Kh and 75k in chips. this guy in middle position(25k in chips) limps in. its folded around to the cutoff(42k in chips), who raises double the big blind. i call the raise, both blinds fold and and guy in middle position calls, too. the flop was 9-10-J, all hearts. i had flopped a straight flush! i couldnt believe my luck. the player in middle position checked, the cutoff bet out pot-size and i called. the guy in middle position then pushes all-in. the cutoff and i both call. he turns over Ks-Kd. 7h hits the turn and the player in the cutoff immediately pushes all in. i call, of course, and the cutoff turned over A-4h. he had that ace-high flush, but i had them both beat. now, if the guy with the pocket kings would have reraised the cutoff's initial raise or pushed all-in before the flop, i would have folded and the cutoff would have taken the pot if he'd have called the push, or the guy with the kings would have at least gotten the blinds and our raises if he wasnt called. as it was, mr. kings slow-played, i took a large pot, and eliminated both players. if mr. kings would have just raised coming in or reraised...

Peteyweestro

Peteyweestro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to try and be cute or slick and slow play my high hands but after getting rivered one to many times i vowed not to ever do it again.....now it's chips flying to the pot if i am going to play them

NEWTDOG101

NEWTDOG101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm with Peteyweestro on this one! I had a very bad run this weekend. Slow played two big hands and it cost me! One was AA slow played and got beat with a hand I won't dare share! lol The other ATs flop come AA6, utg is holding QQ and I didn't pressure him til the river and the river was a Q! Me and the guy had been chatting the hold game so I asked him what he had and he said QQ, I called anyway! lol and you know the ending!

So no more slow playing for me!!!

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow play is a legitimate move in the right place against the right opponent. It is situation specific and can be the best play. The KK guy didnt slow play that hand, he stupid played that hand. The only reason to limp there, especially given his stack, is to re raise the raise that you believe will come. calling a raise and a caller is simply a stupid play. It was a great result for him with this hand PF that he got a raise and a caller, perfect spot to go all in. The call was simply horrible.

A

aaron_jd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fletchdad is right, I've slowplayed a monster before against maniacs. But I was also in a position where it was really just me and the maniac. Here, MP played KK very poorly and should have raised (or at least re-raised the cutoff). You took advantage and got a nice pot, awesome. :)

B

BM0529

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was involved in one weird hand last night where a player slow-playing allowed me to break him and a second player who would have actually won the huge pot if i had not. the blinds were 1.2-2.4k and i was on the button with Qh-Kh and 75k in chips. this guy in middle position(25k in chips) limps in. its folded around to the cutoff(42k in chips), who raises double the big blind. i call the raise, both blinds fold and and guy in middle position calls, too. the flop was 9-10-J, all hearts. i had flopped a straight flush! i couldnt believe my luck. the player in middle position checked, the cutoff bet out pot-size and i called. the guy in middle position then pushes all-in. the cutoff and i both call. he turns over Ks-Kd. 7h hits the turn and the player in the cutoff immediately pushes all in. i call, of course, and the cutoff turned over A-4h. he had that ace-high flush, but i had them both beat. now, if the guy with the pocket kings would have reraised the cutoff's initial raise or pushed all-in before the flop, i would have folded and the cutoff would have taken the pot if he'd have called the push, or the guy with the kings would have at least gotten the blinds and our raises if he wasnt called. as it was, mr. kings slow-played, i took a large pot, and eliminated both players. if mr. kings would have just raised coming in or reraised...

Last week I saw one guy with Aces screw over a second player who had the other two Aces...young aggressive player from first position raises to 14$, absolute rock calls for 14$ followed by another caller...I have J-10 suited and call as well...flop is 10 with 2 low cards...by the time the action gets to me everyone is basically all in...initial raiser had AA...rock called with AA...other guy flopped a set of 10s (the case 10 obviously)...if the rock simply re-raises to 25 or 30$ no way does the 10s call, and even if he did he would be pushed out when it got back to the initial raiser who undoubtedly would have moved in or re-raised further....at the same time though, overplaying hands is just as bad...the one play in poker which just drives me insane is when action reaches BB following a raise from FP with no callers...he looks down at Aces and then raises...ughhh...You've got what you want...you have heads up action...understandably I can see the points of view that perhaps the other player might be raising with 7-3 and the flop may come 7-3-K and you're outflopped...or that he may have KK or QQ and that an Ace may flop and you don't get nearly the money from him you'd have gotten if you got the money in pre-flop...but both of these scenarios are rare and in the long run you're making more money calling in this situation...if you know you're opponent you should be able to get away frm the Aces...especially if some sort of horrid board comes out....another one I have seen as well is players (usually inexperienced) overplaying low boats to the point they run everyone out of the pot...this week alone I have seen it twice...2-9-9 and 3-Q-Q wih 2s and 3s respectively...both players overbet the pot on the flop and lost everyone....the smart play is to keep the pot controlled in these hands since if you do have 2 guys out there with a 9 or a Q you don't want to wind up all-in on the flop only for the board to come runner pair and lose.

essambb

essambb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i slow play big hands in the early position limb with AA or ak KK then then get on the top with a big rerasie so the only one calling me with little lower hand and i got him dominated but if they all called and no one rased and alot of poeple see the flop cheap i let go of the hand if it is not safe flop or big drawes r posiple

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why I don't like slowplaying. I've had far to many times where it gets in a multiway pot and you bust. The only time I will limp with a monster is if I'm short on chips and expect to get shoved on other than that, I'm always raising.

Nice hand by the way!

S

sajeal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA ALWAYS SEEMS TO LOOSE ON THE SLOW PLAY FULTILT SEEMS LIKE THE WORST SITE U SEE IT HAPPEN ON

F

folkadelic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this is bad...
i think that they should never play this way...

why play then?

blackmax

blackmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either way you look at it it cost them

H

hawtshawt420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
idk. depending on buy in some of those people are trash and would have called with say A4. even off. so maybe he was making sure an ace didn't hit flop? granted straights flushes two pair is out so the all in afterwards is weird. maybe wanted to get Ace flush draw out and hope he wasn't suited. i usually push pretty hard with jj or better and usually the caller has a 8(or lower). and they are more than willing to call with high card ace before any cards but are sometimes reluctant to chase. rambled. it did come back to bite him but if the buy was somewhat low and assuming he would have folded if an ace hit, its not always a bad choice preflop. with the postflop play i doubt he could have actually folded to an ace anyway.

J

jbeezy24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just try to stop chasing now, unless I got a flush & Straight draw at the same time

G

Gunner57

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the MP call KK is a bad play. You want A4 to be in the hand but not to give him equity. KK and AA are strong hands heads up but 3 way they are not as strong. With a raise and call in front the pot is ripe for a re-raise hoping to push at lease one person out and keep his dead money in the pot or take it all down now. He is in MP which post flop sucks... if button has position post flop and can react to peoples hands if an A comes out.

I cant think of a situation (not saying there is not one) that would be a good call with KK is a good choice here. With JJ-QQ I might be more inclined to call some (but high % still raise).... With 88-TT you call some raise less... With 88-22 you can call to set mine.

I think to call KK here out of position is a misplay 99% of the time. IMO

ruth99

ruth99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned the hard way also....I never slow play anymore ...I take it when I can

M

mrmood6007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of times the problem with slow-playing is that your hand will get busted. It happens all of the time. However, in many cases it will lead to a large payday. You could argue the benefits and costs of slow-playing a hand, but it all depends on the circumstances at hand. Sometimes it makes you lose, sometimes it pays off big!

B

bbc8712

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow play is a legitimate move in the right place against the right opponent. It is situation specific and can be the best play. The KK guy didnt slow play that hand, he stupid played that hand. The only reason to limp there, especially given his stack, is to re raise the raise that you believe will come. calling a raise and a caller is simply a stupid play. It was a great result for him with this hand PF that he got a raise and a caller, perfect spot to go all in. The call was simply horrible.
yes, very good. slow play must against good situation and opponet. reraise is better than call only.