Sizing your bets in No-Limit

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fredrik's blog entry (Sizing Your Bets in No-limit, Part I: Preflop and the Cumulative Effect » Online Poker Blog) inspired me to make my own charts.

Essentially this is something I'll basically review maybe 5-10 times and hopefully memorize exactly how much of my stack I can get in the middle by taking certain lines, and eventually it will all become second nature. I have general ideas now of what lines result in what sized pots, but I found a few surprises while making it.

This is all very straight forward and is really just addition and multiplication, but it was tedious, so hopefully someone other than me can make use of it. Some of it is redundant, some of it nearly useless/extremely uncommon (like 3-betting a 5bb raise pf then 1/2 potting one street postflop), but I tried to cover a lot of the more common scenarios. No doubt there are mistakes in there somewhere, so if you see them let me know and I can get the mods to edit this post with the updated spreadsheet.

It is in .ods format and I'm not sure if that works in excel or other spreadsheet programs. If it doesn't, go download OpenOffice.org for free.

And for your own good by no means should you highlight the chart. Apparently the inverse of the colours I chose are among most hideous ever.

Bet sizing.7z

and in .rar format if that doesn't work for whatever reason:

Bet sizing.rar

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll be interested in looking at these when I get back from vacation. This is one area I've been trying to work on to improve my winnings in my big hands.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Huh. I have oo, but can't get either file in anything other than gibberish.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You've extraced the file, right?

Not sure.

I was taken to something that reminded me of megaupload (used for the videos), but I think it installed a file share service on my pc (that I was unhappy about, and have removed).

Anyway, I'll take the opportunity to ask Nick to upgrade the amount of data we can host:

Upload

I can't even upload a simple profit tracking spreadsheet that I have, I have to e-mail it to anyone who is interested.

Enough w/ megaupload and similar, let's get this stuff on cardschat's server directly. imo

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Enough w/ megaupload and similar, let's get this stuff on cardschat's server directly. imo

Agreed. I also figured out how to compress my final table videos, so I will be doing that sometime soon and releasing it back into the publick.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
use a common format and dont ask peeps to download more software

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it's a little hard when you don't have the common software yourself. Considering OO is free and better than excel, I didn't think it was going to be a problem.

Some screenshots because it seems no one has been able to download it yet. #1 is assuming a single raise PF (defined at top left of each section), #2 is assuming a reraise PF (size of reraise defined at far left of each section):

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 44
SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't open ODS files with Excel.

However, I went HERE, and converted it to XLS. Opens find in XLS format.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The XLS version for those of you with Excel.

I used the converter mentioned in the previous thread.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Chuck. I started looking at your chart and realized that I wanted to see what happened to the final pot size if I didn't bet the same percentage of the pot on each street.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah that was actually going to be my next two sheets: single raise pf w/ differing postflop bet sizes, and 3-bet pf w/differing postflop bet sizes. Then I got lazy.

I didn't bother to use any formulas in my sheet mainly because of rounding issues - how exactly do you round in spreadsheets?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Excel it's simply ROUND(whatever needs to be rounded, # of decimal places). You can also us ROUNDUP or ROUNDDOWN as needed.

Formatting the cell to only display a set number of decimal places works as well.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The initial chart is in openoffice format, not sure if there's something easy to use to convert it or whether you'd have to get openoffice, but that's likely the problem if people see gibberish or can't open it with excel.