A sick hand in a live game

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thursday nights a local bar & grill hosts a free NLHE tournament, which allows a max of 50 runners. Make the final table of 8 to earn leaderboard points, and at the end of the season the top 10 players get invited back to play for some gift certificates or something crappy like that. The play is not great, but everyone is generally pretty friendly to everyone, and it's more like a good social game.

Anyways, this hand jump-started me last night, and I took 3rd place - I think Lee Jones was running the joint, seeing how this hand turned out:

Blinds 25/50, I have about 2K in chips (started out with 1500), in MP and I find 55 - raise to 200, BB and SB call.

Flop: A-10-5 rainbow - checks around to me, and since I generally do not slowplay big hands unless HU, I bet out 400. SB calls, BB goes all in for his last 1200 or so. I think about raising, but I figure that I have to have the best hand, and I don't want the other player out just yet. SB thinks for a minute, then calls.

Turn is another 5, giving me quad 5s. SB bets his last 600, I can't call quick enough, and the hands that are flipped over are as follows:

Me: 5-5
SB: A-A (If he comes over the top of me pre-flop, and A-10 decides to get jiggy with his hand, I'm probably folding - although after the flop there wasn't much he could do, it ain't like I'm folding a set here)
BB: A-10

River doesn't matter, and I get a nice healthy chipstack to play with for the next couple of hours.

I think I like playing in these live tournaments - much easier to read people and really get in their heads, really. Caro's Book of tells is a good primer for this.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play in one of these leagues too a couple of years ago and had a good time doing it and i actually learned alot. I much prefer live play to the internet. I was doing very well and I was in the top 3 of points, unfortunatley when i went to one of the bars the held the tourneys one night they weren't there. Turns out the league just packed up and left wityh no notice or anything. They had advertised a seat in the wsop for the eventual national winner but that never happened.

Oh well, I had fun and like I said learned alot and made some good friends.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Top 10 Games