Show or Muck

M

Madness_does

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My brother always said, you must pay to see his cards, so I do not show, but if its a tight band of us playing like the nightly games and we all play alot, sometimes I will show and they will show too, but never in serious raises or re raises, that I think could hurt your game in the long run.

123andyp123

123andyp123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only show if i think i can benefit later.Sometimes if im already running good ill show a bluff to set somebody up later,and of course ill tell people i was bluffing even when i wasnt .Poker can be a mental war,so if i know someones personality and i think he will tilt ill show him a bluff.But dont get me wrong now I have played all day today and havent showed once.

jtholdm

jtholdm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
show muck

I very rarely will show any cards at all once in a while I will show a great hand against a player that is equal in my chip stack size so he knows I did not suck out on him or was trying to get his chips. I do not show any bad hands and than a good one I hate when people do that because they are just trying to throw you off your game. A good player knows this strategy

S

slicksam23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer not to show but sometimes i do just depends how i feel and the atmosphere of the table sometimes showing bluffs then making the same plays with good hands pays off but mucking is probably best

X

xRedhood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show my cards, and I dont think showing them benefits you in any way. During the game especially, you do not want to give people any inclination into your hand or hand history.

J

JDOG1982

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show my hand. Muck then cards all day long. They have to pay to see my hand.

T

TheCardShark2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just think it's almost never a good idea to give any information away by showing... just my take though.

B

Bjshamb69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm generally a fold n muck... though there are 2 occasions ill unclick the auto muck button.. first is str8 flushes and royal flushes... so rare & beautiful i enjoy brightening up a tables day em :) (though im only likely to show in the lower levels to be fair lol) and the second is when i consciously know im about to tighten up and fold anything but aces till the money... then ill show a bluff... if the situation presents itself of course ;)
considering how many responses where to not show... i still see a fare few people showing

V

V6mitg6rewh6re

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to show the winning hand a lot
Cuz it allows me to bluff
When they think I have a hand and have them thnk I'm
Bluffing when I have a good hand I tend to show way more of the winning hand then I do showing bluffs idk maybe I'm just weird. But
I prefer to show the winning hand compared to bluffs

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think suggesting never show is a little narrow minded on this topic.

Online I have auto-muck on for ease and because I would very rarely show.

However, live I do show from time to time and it's only when the field is very weak. They get caught up on what you have shown. For example, if I'd opened 3 times in a row then I would show a worthy hand (if possible) and then play on that dynamic later. Or early on show a bluff and then tighten up to my normal live game. One of the biggest tourney cashes I had I got caught bluffing early on, a guy at the table followed me by chance to each table before the final table, telling the whole poker room what a bluff-whale I was. It worked in my favour.

I agree that against a competent player it would be unwise to ever show but against fish it can be a great tool for manipulating dynamics for later pots.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think suggesting never show is a little narrow minded on this topic.

Online I have auto-muck on for ease and because I would very rarely show.

However, live I do show from time to time and it's only when the field is very weak. They get caught up on what you have shown. For example, if I'd opened 3 times in a row then I would show a worthy hand (if possible) and then play on that dynamic later. Or early on show a bluff and then tighten up to my normal live game. One of the biggest tourney cashes I had I got caught bluffing early on, a guy at the table followed me by chance to each table before the final table, telling the whole poker room what a bluff-whale I was. It worked in my favour.

I agree that against a competent player it would be unwise to ever show but against fish it can be a great tool for manipulating dynamics for later pots.

I love it when that happens. I have been playing with people who don't realize how transparent their game is. So when they make a play and you pick it off, they don't recognize their own predictability. Instead of seeing the flaw in their game, they think they see a flaw in yours. I've actually had players react by telling me that they are going to tag me as a fish or a donkey, or put something unflattering in their notes. This is all fine and dandy to me. In fact, the only thing that would please me more than knowing that they've got an inaccurate read on me is maybe knowing that they were going to share that incorrect information with all of their friends. So given the opportunity to reinforce that perception, I would gladly turn my cards up.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think that if you're going to show, you should have a specific reason why you're showing that particular hand, not just showing for the hell of it. I think that the reasons you're showing should take into account the types of players you're playing against, and you should have at least some idea of how they're going to interpret that and how that interpretation helps build the type of image of yourself that you're trying to represent. Otherwise, you're just giving away free information about yourself that is going to put you at a disadvantage at some point.

Since this kind of stuff is still way, way beyond my level, I just muck 100% of the time and I set up the client to auto-muck so I don't have to deal with it manually.

J

jayace66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes

I usually only show good hands and only once in a while

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always muck,showing cards gives your oponents to read your game

J

johnsonmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
showing cards

I usually don't show my cards but I do sometimes when I got a good hand so I can bluff later on. I don't think you should show your cards to often. I seen some players who show there hand almost every hand.

K

Kongol

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally do not show my cards, but if im in a tournament and i pull off a nice bluff to win the pot ill show, just to get in there head a little and make them think maybe once or twice next time its a big pot.

jtholdm

jtholdm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
show muck

You know its fiuny because I very rarely will ever show my cards sometime I will show a real good hand and remember what I bet because usually if another person copies you that means that they can have the same or close hand as you did. I never ever show a bad hand and I do not do this allot only when I have like AA KK AQ ETC it works great for micro cash

R

rnadompixels

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I simply never show. Showing gives information and lets a wise player the possibility to use it. Also, the common idea of ''showing when a play is not usual to unde(or over)represent a range'' doesn't make much sense, since the opponents should be way aware of this simple thinking process and understand how the shown hand usually does NOT represent the normal range.

B

binnk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost never show my cards so the other players don't know how I play. I sometimes show my cards in heads-up when i go all in and the other player doesn't call, for them to think i only raise with good hand in order to steal some blinds.

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only show cards when I make suxessful bluff. It feels good to see opponent fold a actual good hand and you show some crap.

Jostone6

Jostone6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never show. I think not show against curious is more efficient, it makes him uncomfortable, he asks in chat, and the next time it will pay off on the river, because they will want to know.