Should Game Theory course be mandatory for High School Students? College Students?

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think every person on the planet can learn valuable life lessons from the tenets of Game theory.

Who thinks such a course should be required for the high school diploma or for the standard liberal arts degree in colllege?

D

donkcentralFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some type of game theory was required ( dont quote me on it) before I declared my major

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not believe most people can handle game theory. Teach them to read and write.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For one thing I suspect it's probably too complicated for every high school student to be able to learn. Hell even the basics make my head hurt, and I've got a masters degree...

For another... as a poker player and gambler, I'm not really sure I want everybody to become that educated on game theory. It'd reduce the number of fish out there to win money off :p

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For another... as a poker player and gambler, I'm not really sure I want everybody to become that educated on game theory. It'd reduce the number of fish out there to win money off :p

A table full of game theorists would just mean more of my play would have to be on the exploitive side. Knowing that game theory principles are most likely at play may actually give one an advantage.

This might sound counter-intuitive because game theory optimal play is not supposed to be exploitable....but when everyone is employing the same strategy, expecting the same range of hands from each other, that fact alone can be exploited, IMHO

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A table full of game theorists would just mean more of my play would have to be on the exploitive side. Knowing that game theory principles are most likely at play may actually give one an advantage.

This might sound counter-intuitive because game theory optimal play is not supposed to be exploitable....but when everyone is employing the same strategy, expecting the same range of hands from each other, that fact alone can be exploited, IMHO

*shrugs*

I just think it'd be a lot easier to win if everyone at the table were ordinary bad players, not people educated in game theory.

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in a MTT you can not win if you only play monster hands. You have to create some chips from air so sometimes you need to make a move.
Using game theory you can make it as profitable as possible.

Top 10 Games