sharkscope ban

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good. I think all data mining products should be banned from online poker. You don't have access to that type of info during live play so why should you have it for online play? In fact, if you had some one telling you at a table live what your opponents do during a game, it would be considered a form of cheating.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The article states they won't be able to tell what sites you visit on the internet unless they start using "sniffers"...I can't wait for the next update! Let's see them try to enforce their crAzy rules. :eek:

Last edited:
Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good. I think all data mining products should be banned from online poker. You don't have access to that type of info during live play so why should you have it for online play? In fact, if you had some one telling you at a table live what your opponents do during a game, it would be considered a form of cheating.

protip: live poker =/= online poker.

seriously, the sooner people stop treating them as exactly the same, the better.

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can understand a site wanting to ban sharkscope...

What I don't get is how they can. Unless they can somehow prevent data collection.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sharkscope is not going to allow stars to ban them because of the fact that they are making huge profits every year
if stars does ban sharkscope expect them to go to court

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good. I think all data mining products should be banned from online poker. You don't have access to that type of info during live play so why should you have it for online play?

so are you against multi-tabling as well?

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sharkscope is not going to allow stars to ban them because of the fact that they are making huge profits every year
if stars does ban sharkscope expect them to go to court
Sharkscope doesn't have any say. I think Stars can do what they want with the info their program produces because it is basically their property. It's only free information because Stars was allowing it to be. I would believe they have the ability to block database collectors anytime they'd care to. It wouldn't be too hard to find ips constantly scanning your system/program? I don't think Sharkscope or OPR would have any case whatsoever in court unless they have a contract or some other binding arrangements? It's probably easier said than done to stop Scope. My guess it's a handful or more at most, of people running the site, so I'd think they wouldn't have little chance in attempting to keep the site going against PS wishes, but I suppose they still have Tilt and UB anyhow? What do ya think?

Last edited:
Nick

Nick

CC
Administrator
Total posts
Chips
Didn't PokerStars implement an "opt out" system whereby you can specify you don't want your info included on sites like Sharkscope?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The linked article was from Sept. 1. As far as I can tell SS still mines P*.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Didn't PokerStars implement an "opt out" system whereby you can specify you don't want your info included on sites like Sharkscope?
Ah! You're right Nick. Go to the top right of sharkscope's page. Click "options"--> "block username". They also give you the option to unblock it.

It makes me wonder how they can tell if you're the true owner of the screen name you want blocked though.

Note PS's list of banned programs...."15. SharkScope [pending]"
How is this a program anyway? They need to start a new list or something because it makes no sense.

Last edited:
KingNothing4

KingNothing4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think they should ban these sites, its jus more ways to make it easy for every1, watever happened to actually doing some work and paying attetion to how ppl play?!?! instead u just go to sites and see how good players r n stuff, i jus dont like it, do ur own work IMO

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

protip: live poker =/= online poker.

seriously, the sooner people stop treating them as exactly the same, the better.

^^^this.

so are you against multi-tabling as well?

Should we also do away with the number telling you pot size, and get rid of the "Bet Pot" button that most sites have too?