Retirement hobby

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing online poker as a retirement hobby in 2003 when it started to become popullar and I was living in a small city where there wasn't much else to do. I quit when I moved back to Toronto where there are better things to do in the day than play poker but now I am back in a smaller city and back to playing.
I don't really make any money playing but I don't lose any either and it is better than playing with model trains or gardening.
Is there anyone else that is retired and plays as a hobby?

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not ready for retirement yet but I have reached my 40s. The one thing Ive noticed as Ive gotten older is I have less desire to sit at a MTT for 5 or 6 hours. I still like tourneys but I usually play Turbos or Sit N Gos.
Do you find that you still have the same passion for the game that you did 10 years ago?

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has become more or less something to kill time as sad as that sounds.
It keeps me out of the bars so that is good according to my wife.
I retired early (37) from some stock gains, mostly now long gone tech stocks with the exception of Microsoft.
I usually play the micro limit NL holdem so can just jump in and out between other things. I also play the poker stars privledge freerolls and in the Poker Stars PSO league. Both can be long games but they are kind of fun. I have never won one of either in the 10or so years but I want to.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a great retirement hobbie,

Since its a non physical game you can enjoy just as much as a twenty something or a younger guy.

I definately feel poker will replace any physical hobbies I do as I get older

pokertroll

pokertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Retirement is great-Travel,Get exercise and play some poker in moderation.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same Boat

Kind of funny that I run into your post, because I'm kind of in the same boat with you. I live in a small town in Ga.,and I'm disabled. But if I was not there still not much to do in my line of work. I would like to say I play poker as a hobby but I'm much more serious. I'm always on this laptop playing or doing something related to poker. That's when it becomes more than a hobby.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it becomes more than a hobby when you are making a large portion of your income from it PapaC.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gardening/house cleaning and playing chess would be a perfect combination.

Exercising both body and mind.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are right fubarcdn. But I don't know if you think I make most of my income playing or him. If I had the money to move up to higher levels I would make my income that way.Think I'm good enough to do that. I been playing 11 years online. But right now it's either a hobby or an obsession lol

kissapig

kissapig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Recently retired and am finding that I play a lot more now. Sticking to the freerolls and min buyins, also playing for btc on sealswithclubs.eu is keeping the bankroll at a manageable size. No way am I going to be anything but a recreational player, but that's OK too. Would like to someday play a mtt live, maybe AC this fall.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not move back to Toronto again.
From your first post it looks like you preferred life there.

Playing privellege freerolls all day really isn't a life.
It's not really even a hobby, as you say it is really just killing time.
To make it more of a hobby, you could try reading more and working on improving your game. Studying and activity in cardschat of course also helps to expand the hobbying.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am trying to improve my game by taking training courses and playing the micro limit ring games with the earnings I make mostly in the privledge games and through PSO.
I have gained some additional knowledge from my short time returning to Cardschat.
As far as returning to Toronto it has some positives but more negatives. Going to the bars every day is not good for my marriage and the city is crowded and polluted.We also travel to different places in the world about 10 weeks a year and my other hobby is working out so I spend a couple hours at the gym everyday and a couple hours walking.
Being retired gives me 16 hours a day to fill and this is one of the ways that I like to fill them.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am trying to improve my game by taking training courses and playing the micro limit ring games with the earnings I make mostly in the privledge games and through PSO.
I have gained some additional knowledge from my short time returning to Cardschat.
As far as returning to Toronto it has some positives but more negatives. Going to the bars every day is not good for my marriage and the city is crowded and polluted.We also travel to different places in the world about 10 weeks a year and my other hobby is working out so I spend a couple hours at the gym everyday and a couple hours walking.
Being retired gives me 16 hours a day to fill and this is one of the ways that I like to fill them.
This Cardschat league is a good choice

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cardschat-league-43/cardschat-summer-league-2014-sign-up-247108/

game is fun , and team play, more chance to sitting on a friendly chat box table.

and more...it is a good way to practice games...but needs to spend like regular 2-3 hours a week , and time needs to be some what fixed.

if that is not a issue, why not try league game.:D:D

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Took my retirement in my early 20's, when I could enjoy it, so working now, but poker is & always has been a hobby. As Sunny said, given that you have the time & want to improve your game, I would highly recommend participating in the CC league.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will almost definitely try to enter the fall league if I can get my posting requirement done by then.
I am assuming that the fall league starts some time late September or early October.
I believe I did play in this league before in 2004-2005 when I was active here.
Good luck to all the teams in the current league.

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I quit when I moved back to Toronto where there are better things to do in the day than play poker

Like? I've been to Toronto several times. Nice, clean little city (it's tiny, dude) but there's definitely very, very little to do there compared to other cities that are known for their fun, excitement, culture and nightlife.

When they talk about cities like New York, Miami, London, Paris, Tokyo, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas, there's a reason you never hear them mention Toronto.

I mean, if you really are looking for a party in canada you go to Montreal or Vancouver. Definitely not Toronto.

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get back into trading. Options can be as fun a poker!!

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I trade stocks and bonds for a living and I play poker as a hobby. I usually work about 5-10 hours a week on my stock portfolio. Options are not for me but I do have some covered calls on my index holdings to beef up my ROI on my core portfolio.
As far as Toronto not being a great party city nothing could be farther from the truth. I have been to New York, Montreal, and Vancouver several times and I will take Toronto over them any day.
Maybe when I hit 90 I will go to Florida.

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been to New York, Montreal, and Vancouver several times and I will take Toronto over them any day.

One of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. I'm strongly considering quoting you on this and making it my signature.

B

brokenlung911

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wish there was more online sites like back the oh well gl