Is this a reasonable risk with my bankroll?

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to start playing 25nl . I have payed 10nl for a while and think I feel ready skill wise. Problem is my bankroll is only $380. I know it isn't great for 25nl but is it terrible? Im only playing 2 tables at a time. Was playing 8 at a time at 10nl

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Boy in the past i would deff say no way. I always went by the 100 buy-in rule but since the Black Friday thing, i think i will change my strategie, i will try to move up with less money in my account at risk, but you have to realize that if you lose 4 buy-ins at .10-.25 you might drop down to .05-.10 until you win it back then try again. or at lest set a loss stop when you should drop back down in my opinion. Anyway good luck :cool: Ps: don't tell others i wrote this or i will be flamed :D :D

_dogmeat

_dogmeat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to start playing 25nl . I have payed 10nl for a while and think I feel ready skill wise. Problem is my bankroll is only $380. I know it isn't great for 25nl but is it terrible? Im only playing 2 tables at a time. Was playing 8 at a time at 10nl
How many hands have you played at 10 NL? How many hands have you played lifetime? What was your winrate?

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea all in clubs if I drop down after 3 or 4 BIs I cant really go wrong. I've about 30000 hands at 10nl 5bb/ 100 hands. Not huge but enough to give it a shot surely?

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea all in clubs if I drop down after 3 or 4 BIs I cant really go wrong. I've about 30000 hands at 10nl 5bb/ 100 hands. Not huge but enough to give it a shot surely?
It's just some players don't have enough dicispline to drop back ,they think oh i will just grind it out and win it back. But in reality they may have a slight leak still in their game which they need to stop and review all hands played to figure it out.:D

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just my opinion, but I don't think that $380 is enough to play NL25. A lot of sites says that for NL you should have at least 20x the full buy in so you should have at least $500. But in my bankroll management I only change the levels when I have at least 50x the full buy in, but that's because I need to feel really safe to play cash games.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can beat 10NL, beat it for another 12 BIs and the move up. Shouldn't take too long.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you feel comfortable moving up, move up. Noone can tell you when to move up or when to move down other than yourself.

E

edgie212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play two tables for a few sessions to get the feel of the game...that should inform a great deal about your readiness.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can beat 10NL, beat it for another 12 BIs and the move up. Shouldn't take too long.

I think that is a good idea there.^^ If you can beat a level, why not just get the required BI's to move up like John says, that shouldn't take too long and then at least you are rolled for it and the risk of busto or losing a larger portion of your roll is smaller.

If you are indeed wanting to move up though, then I don't see a problem really but the thing is, even if you're a winning player at 25nl, is it worth risking variance and losing 2-3buy-ins to then just move back down and have to grind it out even longer, it only takes 3 hands to busto and get sucked out and you might get tilted a bit and de motivated.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that is a good idea there.^^ If you can beat a level, why not just get the required BI's to move up like John says, that shouldn't take too long and then at least you are rolled for it and the risk of busto or losing a larger portion of your roll is smaller.

FWIW, i move up when I have 15 buy-ins for 50/100/200nl when I deposit on a new site. Move down at 12 or something like that. 15 buy-ins for 25nl is $375, so if I was OP, I'd move up.

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you got to 200nl by doing that I say I'm going for it. I have never had huge downswings that's why I have never thought 30 BIs were necessary or (holy crap) 100 BIs.

I had my first 1000 hands at 25nl and lost a BI to Aces vs AJ and KK vs K4 (lol) but I won a few as well so up half a buy in lol. I'm going to play tight, full ring and 2 tables to minimize any variance and see what happens!

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't get to 200nl that way. I go back to 200nl that way when I deposit on a new site or I cashout a large part of my bankroll for hookers and blow.

The really important part is to move back down when you need to. Otherwise you'll bust for sure.

gefishy

gefishy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just be careful, that is a question you should really be asking yourself.

"How many buy-ins should I reasonably expect to get with this bank-roll?"

If the answer to that question is less than you are comfortable with, then you probably should stick at the lower limit for a little while longer.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FWIW, i move up when I have 15 buy-ins for 50/100/200nl when I deposit on a new site. Move down at 12 or something like that. 15 buy-ins for 25nl is $375, so if I was OP, I'd move up.

Sure, but, for someone who obviously has the ability to beat that level and the knowledge and confidence to know and believe you can, its easy to say that. it's different to someone taking a shot.

Also @OP how many tables do you play at once on 10NL? You say you're 2 tabling 25nl but if you can 6 table 10NL, seems more profitable to me in terms of a $/hour number.

Finally, in my experience, setting a goal of say 30/50/100 BIs or whatever it is for you to move up AND getting there truly makes me feel like I've achieved something and gives me the confidence to go and crush the next limit (Usually fails). I also think playing less tables and nitting up or changing your game to a lower variance version isn't going to bring solid results. If you make say 30BIs for 25NL then I think you can move up more confidently, play better and win more. Nitting up because you're scared to lose BIs isn't going to help you at all.

It's probably pointless me typing this out, because usually when someone comes and asks if they may move up, it's simply them looking for any reason why they should because they want to. Ask yourself why you want to and what you hope to achieve.

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, but, for someone who obviously has the ability to beat that level and the knowledge and confidence to know and believe you can, its easy to say that. it's different to someone taking a shot.

Also @OP how many tables do you play at once on 10NL? You say you're 2 tabling 25nl but if you can 6 table 10NL, seems more profitable to me in terms of a $/hour number.

Finally, in my experience, setting a goal of say 30/50/100 BIs or whatever it is for you to move up AND getting these Ire truly makes me feel like I've achieved something and gives me the confidence to go and crush the next limit (Usually fails). I also think playing less tables and nitting up or changing your game to a lower variance version isn't going to bring solid results. If you make say 30BIs for 25NL then I think you can move up more confidently, play better and win more. Nitting up because you're scared to lose BIs isn't going to help you at all.

It's probably pointless me typing this out, because usually when someone comes and asks if they may move up, it's simply them looking for any reason why they should because they want to. Ask yourself why you want to and what you hope to achieve.

Well I must be the exception because I decided against the idea. After a falling on the wrong side of variance I realised how quick money goes down compared to 10nl. I am going to wait until I am comfortable. I am 14 tabling 10nl until I hit around $700.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not saying it's never a good idea to take shots. But, although we may be good enough for the move up, variance oft likes to laugh at us and kick us back down. But well done for moving down when it was necessary. As Belgo said, that's pretty much the key.

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think if you are asking the question

then you already know that you probably shouldn't move up, but if a few posters you respect on here give you a thumbs up, then u have an excuse ;)

i would agree with those saying wait till 500

_dogmeat

_dogmeat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo just take a shot. Don't say "I'll be playing $25 NL from tomorrow." Instead, try and add one session per day or something. Say if you're playing 500 hands per day, play 200 @ $25 NL, the other ones at your current level. That way you can dip your toes a little bit and not feel so shellshocked when you do decide to move up and play scared.

If you have the confidence you can beat $10 NL, then you're just wasting your time playing there. $400 is not too bad for $25 NL if you think you can beat the level.

5bb/100 is not a truly good WR for $10 NL though, so you might want to work on your game a little bit more, learn some new stuff, take a few shots @ $25 NL and then, when you think you can beat the level, give more and more time to playing $25 NL.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It always surprises me when people ask these questions, as if it is an all or nothing decision.

Play what you can afford, what you are comfortable with, and what is profitable.
Experiment with other things. Other levels, even other games at lower levels.

When you find success with something then commit more to it, and when you find something not working give it up or practice more with less investment.

Experience of playing at higher levels, ability and mental attitude are more important to deciding whether to move up levels than bankroll.

_dogmeat

_dogmeat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It always surprises me when people ask these questions, as if it is an all or nothing decision.

Play what you can afford, what you are comfortable with, and what is profitable.
Experiment with other things. Other levels, even other games at lower levels.

When you find success with something then commit more to it, and when you find something not working give it up or practice more with less investment.

Experience of playing at higher levels, ability and mental attitude are more important to deciding whether to move up levels than bankroll.
+1 Pure gold that response is!

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management