• Thread starter 2-7MakesMeRaise
  • Start date
2-7MakesMeRaise

2-7MakesMeRaise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just playing my first ever game of razz(only a freeroll). What a crazy variation of poker.. Still nice for a change I suppose.
Anybody ever play it for cash and whats the competition like?

Thanks

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a fairly straight forward game. You need to understand several nuances, but once you understand it you can fairly consistently win at lower stakes. You cant let the maniacs get to you though or you will loose. Ring vs Tourny play is very different compared to NLH ring vs tourny

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played it a little and I enjoy it. David Sklansky uses razz for a lot of his examples in "The Theory of Poker". There are a couple of good sites with basic strategy advice out there.

http://playrazz.com/ is good. There are others but its a good one to start with and I'm sure your Google-fu is strong enough to find others :)

My impression is that the games are pretty soft but I haven't played a ton so my sample size is small.

Good luck with it.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've played it a low stakes, there's not a whole lot of action but there's spewtards that wander in from time to time. It's not really some untapped gold mine that's got a load more easy money than NLHE or anything though, if that's what you're asking.

buzzmania

buzzmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never played razz ring style,only the freerolls and would it be safe to say the pace of play is faster than the tournaments ?

A

AntiKhrist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play it every once in a while after our weekly Hold Em game. Not a bad game but it does feel like you're getting punched in the gut while you're playing. lol

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never played razz ring style,only the freerolls and would it be safe to say the pace of play is faster than the tournaments ?

Not necessarily - the opposite, if anythng. Tournaments you spend a lot of your time short stacked and rising antes / limits force the action. In a ring game you can often sit and wait for your spots.

slgalt

slgalt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jen Harman has some good advice about Razz. I love it, but I've not played it for money.

R

rozzz5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this years Players Championship broadcast on ESPN, Norman Chad had a funny line. When Michael and Robert mizrachi were invloved in a hand, he said something like "I think Cain killed Abel over a bad beat in Razz". lol.

Mortis

Mortis

Skeleton Crew
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I love razz. I've only played in small stakes and freerolls, though. In October, I'll be playing my first live razz tournament in Oklahoma.. a $60 tourney.

C

cheermom48017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
razz rocks

I love razz especially in horse tourneys where a lot of people dont really understand the game in low to mid stakes tourneys, razz is always a good spot for me to double or triple up when i get shortstacked in a horse tourney!It can be frustrating in ring games at times but in the long run you should come out on top if you play good starting hands!:D

MidyMat

MidyMat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Razz is a great game. I only play all the Stud games. Razz is my favorite of the stud games. You do get alot of fish trying to improve their razz game because H.O.R.S.E. is becoming popular. To be good at any Stud Game follow this tips that have always helped me.
1 - Patience
2 - bankroll Management
3 - Ego Control
4 - Fifth Street discipline
5 - Pay Attention to all the Live Cards!!!

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a fairly straight forward game.
Agree with this. Totally inexperienced players can play the game fairly well. Its not hard just to look at a player's board and go "oh, all his cards are lower than mine, I should fold". So in terms of a fish eating game, its not all that great. Other games cause the fish to go broke faster. Course, because of that a lot of fish are more likely to play it (cough, evidence = this thread).

With the other stud variants, its harder to just look at your opponent's board and figure out if you're ahead or behind.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Razz makes me stab my eyeballs with a BBQ fork...

M

mrmood6007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I enjoy playing razz. It only sucks when your opponent has a couple of really high cards showing and an A 2 in the hole, and then catches some BS on the last card to make a better hand than you! It's not for everyone, but I enjoy the game!

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try playing HU deepstacked razz tournaments, zomg.

M

moneybagz718

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i LIKE RAZZ TO BUT LIKE MR MOOD SAID YOU MIGHT THINK YOU HAVE IT CAUSE YOUR OPPONENT SHOWS HIGH CARDS BUT HELL SUPPRISE YOU WITH THE RIVER

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i LIKE RAZZ TO BUT LIKE MR MOOD SAID YOU MIGHT THINK YOU HAVE IT CAUSE YOUR OPPONENT SHOWS HIGH CARDS BUT HELL SUPPRISE YOU WITH THE RIVER

moneybagz posts make my eyes bleed