Random Question

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would you look anything into a player who does something different when he/she checks?

For example, you're in a hand with two other people and after the flop, one of the players justtaps the table with his finger signifying a check. Then on the turn that same player says check instead of tapping the table. Would you think it was a tell of some sort or it doesn't mean anything?

Granted, it's a hand by hand basis but I'm talking in general.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess you would have to watch the player and see what hands they had when they tapped as opposed to saying check to actually know for sure. Some people might change it up without knowing their doing it while they have a big hand or a bluff. I don't think it is the same for every player tho.
I know sometimes I tap the table and sometimes I say check and sometimes I do both at the same time, but I don't think I do it that way for any reason. It's probably a good idea to pick one and stick with it I guess tho... never really put much thought into it.

J

jessica30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess, because some players get carried a way by the game, that they tend to change tap or check at the same time. I guess it is not really a significant issue.

1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It means nothing unless there is a pattern to distinguish it. File it away though cause you never know.

There's a guy I play with from time to time in a local group. I picked up that sometimes he would put chips on his cards, sometimes not. Didn't seem to matter much whether he was folding, raising or calling - BUT there were times he put chips on his cards pretty forcefully not huge but more than usual, Whaddya know? Monster hand the two times I noticed. Can't wait to play with him some more to verify my theory - cause two times is just a coincidence, but as they say, three times is a trend :)

So file it away for next time and way to be observant. Usually takes more than a session to lock these things down. And NEVER tell a soul!

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I noticed tonight a player, after i had busted out, who would hold his cards up.. letting me see them, since i wasn't in anymore and sitting sorta behind him at the table. Every time he had a crap hand he would hold them up and kinda stare at them for a while, BUT when he had any kind of playable hand(and this guy is semi nitty) he would look at them the same way, but almost immediately put them back facedown. I'm not sure if this is something he always does, but I am for sure gonna look into it next time i'm sitting at the table with him and see if this might be a huge tell on him that he is unaware of.

Sometimes small things like this can be nothing, and sometimes it can be something. Just catalog it in your brain and keep an eye out for it and see if you see a pattern or not. Most of the time it's probably nothing, but other times it could be a nice tell on someone they don't know they are showing. i've screwed myself up thinking i knew a tell on a player before, which turned out to ne nothing at all.

I personally try to do the same thing every time.. for example i wait until it comes around to me to look at my cards, and than i always place one of my chips on the cards as a protector, think about what i'm gonna do and than either move the chip off and fold, or keep it on a raise/bet etc... and i always look behind me to see if someone is starting to get chips ready to make a big bet/raise or whatever.. im surprised at how many people are getting chips ready or holding their cards like they are gonna fold them, and can almost know who is gonna fold/call/bet behind me... This of course is in a free league I'm talking about, so many many fishes.. :) GL!

Last edited: