Private life of a poker player

K

kmichaels

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to know how is a private life of a poker player. I mean, what your family think about that? How is your relationship with your girlfriend? She accept the fact that you spend a lot of time on tables when you both could have quality time? What´s the advantages and disadvantages of a life of a poker player? What did you sacrifice to be a poker player? Is it worth or a waste of life time? The only goal is to haven Lamborghinis and hot chicks? Explain the unseen life of a poker player

A

AcesUp747

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to tell everyone I played for a living, as long as they were under 60 or so.

For some reason old people think you are a degenerate if you dont slave away at some factory 40+ hours a week.

My favorite line to tell them was that I was involved in "Currency Speculation and Trading" :D Not exactly a lie.........

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How is your relationship with your girlfriend? She accept the fact that you spend a lot of time on tables when you both could have quality time?

Why would this be any different from a normal job? In fact poker players are going to have less and more flexible hours so being able to make time to spend with her should be easier. I don't know a single poker pro who works more than 40 hours/week.

R

rrph3rtbkr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what a thread , to really know what a private life of poker player u have to live it , try living it for some days u will know , dont expect the fame the most pro get . u will get thiere slowly

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No one even know I play poker beside my brother. lol. I never share my poker hobby with anyone. Maybe when I hit a big one, I'll bragged about it

L

loomis311

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I knew a person that grinded multi tables of mid stakes no limit cash games. They treated it like a job playing around 40 - 60 hours a week and made at least $100K a year. His wife was fine with it because he was a consistent winner.

Salvete777

Salvete777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me poker is just a hobby, I don't spend a lot of money to play, a few bucks in month.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to know how is a private life of a poker player. I mean, what your family think about that? How is your relationship with your girlfriend? She accept the fact that you spend a lot of time on tables when you both could have quality time? What´s the advantages and disadvantages of a life of a poker player? What did you sacrifice to be a poker player? Is it worth or a waste of life time? The only goal is to haven Lamborghinis and hot chicks? Explain the unseen life of a poker player

for me its been difficult Its starting to get accepted a bit more now where my partner wants me to come out of work and is happy for me to make a bit of cash
grinding and any tournament wins are a bonus, whilest being with the kids more - she still doubts poker though.

I've shown like my recent results and a few of the family are quite impressed to see me cashing in the top 100 of 4 figure tournament fields fairly consistantly probably at least bi weekly at worst.

answer to your other question
the advantages of poker are giving yourself extra luxury, I wouldn't try to hard to become rich from it,
but even if you can make a few hundred extra dollers a month you get to live life, go places and have good nights out without like straining yourself and worrying about cash...

the disadvantages are ofcourse if poker is your sole income the swings and bad runs can be devastating and the tilt can be stressful, you can end up doubting yourself losing confidence, effecting your A game,
you can even end up falling into a false sense of security and falling behind the game as others get better or you decline in your own game for a number of reasons, mentally , emotionally and due to your ability to handle the variance of poker and also life.

So yea its never all rosie in my oppinion poker is about doing everything right and controlling your losses and riding out tough times with discipline and emotional self control...
you basically are you own boss, and you need to be able to give yourself inspiration and pick your morale up on tougher days and tactically be able to exploit your opponents and give yourself the team talk on how your going to win

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker it's only my hobby, but even like that, my parents hate it!! Even when I win some money, they don't like it! :(

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I want the Lambos and hot chicks TBPH

J

Jeschant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to tell everyone I played for a living, as long as they were under 60 or so.

For some reason old people think you are a degenerate if you dont slave away at some factory 40+ hours a week.

My favorite line to tell them was that I was involved in "Currency Speculation and Trading" :D Not exactly a lie.........

Just remind the old people that to work in a factory these days you have to move to China and they'll be okay with it.

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
To be honest, just a handful of people actually know I play poker. I've always thought most people wouldn't understand.

J

jamesponce

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish I was able to play online and actually attempt to make a decent living off of it. Unfortunately I am from New York and the only website that accept New York have unreal payout times ( I withdrew from LockPoker July 19th for $600 only $300 was profit and I am still waiting till this day) When pokerstars was in full effect I was doing decent making about 700-1000 a week but got greedy and lost almost all of it in cash lol.

With anything financially if you can keep your cool and not get greedy you CAN be successful. As far as poker I know many people who only do poker and love their life. No rules, no time cards, never worrying having job related problems. Just don't forget you are still gambling no matter how you look at it.

J

Jeschant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a pro, but play a lot of hours. My brother is a better player than I am, he enjoys home-games with friends who are somewhat skilled, so he has practice I have never gotten. He would never trade his comfortable family life to grind out a living online or live at low stakes, but if I ever got good enough, I would do it in a heartbeat. The difference between he and I? He has the good life and a traditional family and a steady, traditional career and I don't. I extrapolate from this that pros tend to be mavericks who wouldn't rest easy in the typical industrial world life.

cardsking

cardsking

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one even know I play poker beside my brother. lol. I never share my poker hobby with anyone. Maybe when I hit a big one, I'll bragged about it

Exactly I know What you are saying :D

I brag about it even of i WIn a 20 dollars ,

if i lose 40 -50 dollars , Im very silent abt it & even reluctant to say if some one asks :D hahaha

piotrk88

piotrk88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
strange question you asked, I think the private lives of everyone should leave for himself and not share in the forum

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Just remind the old people that to work in a factory these days you have to move to China and they'll be okay with it.
Hahahaha....We were playing the game before you were born. :D

-

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly plaid poker for over 7 years with friends, than came upon hazard such as rullette and poker and lost about 400 USD and lots of my time in hope to get better - I did better and earned some of invested money but it is very difficult because there are better players than me and players that are lucky as hell... I am student of Master's degree and I spend like 40 hours in week with not good results..

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Noone around me has understanding for it and I always hear crappy talks like: You will get broke, you will loose all your belongings in poker... but it is nonsense... Yes I lost over 400 USD and my account balance is only 25 USD, yet I never lend any cash to go on with it... so I will be fine.. I mostly spend my money on girlfriend - she broke up with me yesterday after 3 years.. In that relationship I invested approx. 3000 USD and the only thing I got in return was excelent sex and several good moments... So to answer your question - you can use bankrollmob 's offers of no deposit bonuses, try it and if you lucky you will build bankroll without investing any cash...

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont know if women in your country have understanding for it.. mostly they are too reasonable to understand that if you are good and have some luck you will win because when they cannot touch it and try it - they wont believe it... so I think based on my experiences you should say you are working with money to double them ... it is not a lie.. it is your best defense...

K

Kibic1302

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play poker at home. My parents when they see me play they tell me "Poker destroy you." :d

bezobrazny

bezobrazny

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My worm advice is that no one should play poker for living because that would be a sad story no matter how much money you earn. The game is just to simple..

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I learnt not to tell anyone I play poker, if I ever make it pro I will keep that secret from friends and if I win decent money then I will keep that secret too, as I will get a few beggars (those beggars being the people who told me to forget about playing poker) :D

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:D:D:D What private life ?????? :D:D:D
Its all about the game ;););)

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do a lot of different things than poker. Can't spend whole day sitting around and playing. Few friends, parents and brother know I play poker, but usually I don't share it with others. :)