Preparations for late night poker sessions...

pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

In May it's the pokerstars SCOOP and I'm hoping to play one or two of the events for the first time. Being in the UK though, most of the events start around 10pm my time. I'm sure there are plenty of Europe-based players on here who've played SCOOP and WCOOP and FTOPS and series like that - how do you prepare for an event that doesn't start until the end of your day? I know everyone will have their own likes and dislikes as far as preparation goes but I'd appreciate some advice here. Is it a case of getting an early night the night before? Having a nap leading up to the event? Doing some exercise before the event? Getting an intravenous coffee drip? :D What do you guys do to stay awake in a big event when it's 2am or 3am?

Sven Deuceman

Sven Deuceman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to prepare for any big tourney or long session i have a list of things i do. some of them may not be part of your lifestyle so of course feel free to take from them what you will. firstly playing tons of hands days before is an obvious one but not only that playing with someone you know and can challenge your abilities. also and not to negate the help playing someone you know gives, but definately putting yourself in other situations against opponents you aren't familiar with. if that means dropping down a level or two so be it, plus it should be a good confidence boost layin some bad beats down. day before definately try to rest alot. i even tend not to play any poker the day before. i take the time to hike outside and wander the city or something, maybe catch up with an old friend. as far as diet i am vegan and i could stress how good that is for me and how it would be good for you but if you aren't you aren't ,however avoiding red meat and dairy will definately be good both the day before and the day of. morning of i like to multi table a bit but i play tighter than normal so i don't feel like i'm on a downswing. sometimes i won't even play a hand for an hour or so. after that i shut er down and make sure i'm well fed groomed up and dressed up, really feel like a million bucks helps my mental state. couple hours before i meditate and do some yoga (also yoga morning of, well everyday but especially those times) i then listen to some heavy metal and hit the felt.