In praise of the Viffer

Salty Mouse

Salty Mouse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anybody watch Poker After Dark last night?

David "Viffer" Peat is doing it again.

We all saw him drive Phil Helmuth to tilt:

http://vodpod.com/watch/3343517-phil-hellmuth-blow-up-vs-david-viffer-peat-poker-after-dark-ak-vs-k9

Last night Olivier Busquier had him dominated in a hand, but Viffer's loose play seemed to have him so discombobulated he folded out of it. Busquier correctly read that the A on the turn didn't help Viffer. But Peat's big bet on the river seemed to make him not trust his earlier read.

YouTube - Poker After Dark s07e09 Cash Game 150.000 $ Pt01 (start at 4:35)

I'd certainly never recommend how Viffer plays. But it seems to work for him.

B

_BadaBing_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i enjoy watching these games but i think there is way too much loud talking going on by the other players when there is a big hand in progress.

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing that annoys me about TV poker is with the magic of editing they could show many more hands but alas it feels as if there are less.

rjeezy20146

rjeezy20146

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Viffer and Durrr are the only players whos plays only work for them and eli to some point. I wouldnt have the balls to do this with the amount of money there playing but thats why they have a big fan following.

_dogmeat

_dogmeat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, Viffer's a sick guy. I absolutely loved the way he played at PS' Big Game.

If you were to do this at anything below $100 NL you'd be picked apart, IMO.

EDIT: WTF happened to Leanne? Did she star in a Hichkok movie or something?

Last edited:
pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, Viffer's a sick guy. I absolutely loved the way he played at PS' Big Game.

If you were to do this at anything below $100 NL you'd be picked apart, IMO.

EDIT: WTF happened to Leanne? Did she star in a Hichkok movie or something?

is that why howard went awol? having to sit next to viffer?

and on a more important subject.......i think she had a baby ? how else to explain going from a 10 to a 3?

_dogmeat

_dogmeat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is that why howard went awol? having to sit next to viffer?

and on a more important subject.......i think she had a baby ? how else to explain going from a 10 to a 3?

Well, at least the Viff was to his left so, no worries there :)

B

bigpick76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what is the deal with viffers mouth....hes always got some kind of twitch goin on almost like hes been busting rails of coke for hours

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Viff is a legend, if u haven't read it he has a well called the swell on 2p2

M

mrmood6007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's a pretty sick player. On another note, I was watching PAD last night, and Laak just seems like he is drunk out of his mind. He by far played the worst poker out of all of them, he re-raised with the worst hand and slowplayed his good hands, which eventually got beat on the river or he would be bluffed into folding. Don't know if he was just off, but he really got owned. Hopefully, it was just a one-time thing.

gnk2727

gnk2727

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That play that Viff made was so sick. I'd be so pissed if someone did that to me, but Howard did that to himself by checking the flop over to Viff after potting it preflop. I understand these LC's dont want to get too much money involved in a pot, but at what cost? He lost control of the pot and showed weakness when he was really strong. If he bet the flop with 1/3 or 2/3 size bet Viff might call but I doubt he makes that play on him. Plus he woulda been pot committed by the time the river came so he woulda never got bluffed out of it.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Laak was acting like a drunk ass.That said if someone looked at my hand without a showdown it wouldn't have been good for Viffer.Laak and the table took that way better than i would've just saying.

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re: Viffer

I admire the way Viffer and Dwan and some others play the game. They really have taken poker to a new level. But I agree; if you try to imitate the way they play in the low stakes games and you will get killed most of the time. :shot:

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haven't been able to watch the episode yet. I have it DVRd so I'm gonna go watch it after I leave here.

If I remember to come back here to this thread, I will leave a comment lol