Poker winnings After Death

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What happens to our online poker winnings if we die and lets say leave a huge bankroll on pokerstars (888 etc etc). Can it be claimed by our loved ones? Heck what happens if we die and they didnt know that secretly we were poker 'superstars' lol? All of those money will just remain????

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was dreading opening this thread - but that is actually a very good question lol.

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was dreading opening this thread - but that is actually a very good question lol.

lol...sorry abt the dramatic title :) ......and yea....I'd love to know the answer to this

billy198702

billy198702

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think that the money belongs to a certain person and with a act off dead + if mentioned in a testament you could get the money prob without Anny big issues after all we need to give our full I identity to there client for payouts

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dakota's true what happens if we die?
Nobody has my passwords of the rooms, and let's assume I have a good amount of money. As the rooms are positioned on this issue?

Peteyweestro

Peteyweestro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think that if you pass away and have money on a site if there is any chance at all to get by family members it would be such a hassle that they would give up before it ever came close to getting it.

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question i don't think it would be a problem getting the money although every site has it's own rules and regulations most sites ask you too upload documents driver's license etc for withdrawl

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What happens to our online poker winnings if we die and lets say leave a huge bankroll on Pokerstars (888 etc etc). Can it be claimed by our loved ones? Heck what happens if we die and they didnt know that secretly we were poker 'superstars' lol? All of those money will just remain????

This could be handled generally in a will, and specifically by including a list of assets with your will so your family knows where you have accounts. I suppose as long as you can provide sufficient documentation (death cert, will, obituary etc), then a claim could be made for the...how you say...dead money. :saint:

It's an interesting situation from a consumer protections standpoint, in that the rights of your heirs need protection in the event of your death.

Disclaimer: Dammit Jim, I'm a donkey not a lawyer.

J

justanumbernow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I WOULD SAY THEY KEEP IT...UNLESS SOMEONE KNOWS YOUR PWORD AND WITHDRAWELS IT..POKER ROOMS DONT CARE IF PEOPLE PLAYING ON THEIR SITE ARE DEAD OR ALIVE,AS LONG AS THEIR PLAYING.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I WOULD SAY THEY KEEP IT...UNLESS SOMEONE KNOWS YOUR PWORD AND WITHDRAWELS IT..POKER ROOMS DONT CARE IF PEOPLE PLAYING ON THEIR SITE ARE DEAD OR ALIVE,AS LONG AS THEIR PLAYING.

I think everyone iin the world would care if a dead person was playing poker 0.o

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a very complicated issue.
I think the family is not protected legally.
But if anyone knows, please post here. I'm curious now hehehe

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow this is A great question,and one that has been overlooked and unnthought of by me until now.
Thanks for opening another panic disorder in my life :p j/k.
But in all seriousnous I am further gonna check up on this matter and see what I can find out.
I wouls definatly start with A will,but that in itself makes it hard for USA players as well.
But definatly gonna check this out A bit more for m own knowledge.

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I understand that you can't take it with you when you go.

I which case I'm not going!

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I understand that you can't take it with you when you go.

I which case I'm not going!

Exactly it's not as if I will ever die I'm immortal, and even if I'm not immortal scientist will think of a way to create immortality before I die.. I just hope they do it soon so I still have a young body.. My luck they will create immortality right as I hit 100 years old.

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
step 1 - write down all passwords and site info.

step 2 - find a poker buddy in worse shape or older than you.

step 3 - make a last longer bet with the winner getting access to info so they can "lose" it to the living player.

step 4 - exercise and eat healthy

CardKing777

CardKing777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have thought about this previous to this post. My decision was to take the following steps:

Provide your ID to all the sites you play at.
(I have confirmation emails from all sites I belong to stating that my account has been verified and I am eligible for withdrawals)

Choose someone that you would want to have the money if you suddenly pass away!
Have them sit down with you at your computer.
Show them how to navigate each site to make a withdrawal and provide them with written, step by step instructions for each site including passwords and any other info such as secret questions and answers that are necessary for a withdrawal.
When you pass away they go in and make a withdrawal and when they get the check they scribble your name on the back and deposit it in their account.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should leave in your will how to access each account (i.e. userid and password). Keep your will in a secure place where nobody has access to it. In the event of your untimely demise, somebody should be able to just log in and request a cashout. The check would be made out to you, but your estate should be able to deposit it and get the money to your heirs. But if you die and nobody knows about your accounts, the site will eventually declare your account inactive and take the money.

CardKing777

CardKing777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a sneaking suspicion that you don't trust anyone with your info before you die teepack. If that is the case you have the right idea. I would just be concerned that some neophyte that hadn't seen the procedure prior to your death may have a hard time figuring it out after you are gone.

THIS IS A MORBID SUBJECT! This will be my last post in this thread! It is creeping me out!!!

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
According to Online poker bible

"In the outcome of a death untimely or otherwise, any money on any poker site belonging to a player who is now currently deceased that money no matter how small or large will be transferred to S3mper. The deceased family or next of kin may receive S3mpercoins for their loss. In the event that the deceased does not have family or a next of kin the deceased's friends may buy S3mpercoins at a discounted rate for their loss.. In the case the deceased does not have family a next of kin or friends (Like Dave) no S3mpercoins will be awarded for free or at a discounted rate."

Sooo yeah if you die I get your money, apparently? I thought it was odd that was in the poker bible but hey I won't argue with the poker gods I've felt their wrath before... Not fun...

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess you could do a player transfer to like your wife,kids,parents.If they had your poker name password.

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hopefully it would be an easy process for your loved ones to be able to get the winnings! But more than likely what im thinking is if they dont have your password or any of your login info than the money will probably sit in your account for awhile until the skin or network you are on decides to deactivate your account for non-use after several years and the network itself would receive your winnings.. I hope im wrong about this though but I surely do not know for sure!

redwhitealex

redwhitealex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
need to write a will advance the money to come to a relative or close

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
"When you pass away they go in and make a withdrawal and when they get the check they scribble your name on the back and deposit it in their account."

You might get away with that in the USA, but not in the UK. The bank probably would call the police before you could leave the building.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker sites are making a lot of money taking unclaimed dormant accounts from dead players.

Obviously if nobody knows that the dead person was playing poker, the money will be taken by the sites.

Personally I keep my online roll as low as possible. However I will make a list of all the sites I play and inform my family in case something happens to me.

I don't know if I should include passwords in my list as it could be dangerous.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would ensure that the person you designate as your heir (your kids, wife, whatever) KNOWS about the $ and knows how to log in to cash it out. I would think it becomes part of your estate.

That being said - everyone should have a will. If nothing else, you should have a list of your accounts and passwords for your loved ones to handle your crap when you die. It just makes life easier for them.