Poker as a Videogame

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can honestly say I've come a long way as a poker player, mostly thanks to this very site, but I've had a hard time getting my head around the big picture. I constantly flit between stakes and back and forth from ring to SNGs, depending on my BR or how I'm running. I lack focus and direction.

A couple months ago, I joined in on the monthly goals thread, and I think that was a big help. I may have still been sailing in the dark, but at least now I had a compass. Then, after re-reading the article on this site about setting mini-goals, I struck upon the thing that just might turn me into a profitable long-term poker player.

I initially added a few mini-goals to a text file. Things like bankroll milestone levels. ($250, $500, etc) Then, I decided to add more specific ones: "Post a monthly profit at NL($0.10) in a minimum of 5,000 hands." for example. I'd keep track of these goals, aim for one or more, and post the date I achieved any of them.

Now, I've gone mad, and added every goal I can think of. Much like video game milestones that keep me playing some games for months until I can get 100%, I've got tons of poker milestones, and I'm adding more every few days. Some, I will achieve by the end of the month, and some will take much much longer. Some, I will likely never achieve. I've even got wishlist goals like "Reach a final table in an MTT with 2000+ players." And the best thing is, for every goal I reach, there is another one right behind it. Posting a profit at NL($0.10) leads to posting a profit at NL($0.25), and so on. And when I hit a wall, or suffer a downswing, I can fall back to the games I know I can beat because I've got the stats to prove it.

For someone like me, who loves micromanagement, and requires constant affirmation that he can play good poker when he sets his mind to it, this gives me achievable, specific targets to aim for. Now, I've got a compass, map, and destination. All aboard!

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And here I thought this thread was going to talk about button smashers (calling stations).

It's nice to read up that setting goals has helped you out. I'm still kind of all over the place myself. I should probably set some goals.

S

SnGTurbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's worked well for me so far. It helps alleviate the pain of gaining only $0.60 for an hour or 2 of work.

I initially won 25$ in a freeroll and I set a goal of 50$. After all, it was a win/win situation considering I started with $0.

I'm curently up to $45.51 and I really feel like I'm about to accomplish something.

Before I set goals, I would deposit 50$ here and there and watch it disappear as I played outside of my bankroll. 2-3 games and all my money was gone. I can proudly say this 25$ has lasted me over 25 SnG's

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also be sure to check out out monthly goals thread, where people post their goals for the next month, and reflect on their previous goals.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh, that's not why I wondered, it's just that I'm happy to get some feedback on the articles. Very glad to hear you liked it. :)

Top 10 Games