Poker is such a frustrating game!

Tom Goldberg

Tom Goldberg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 months ago I had no job and I was playing poker constantly to pass the time while I was looking for work and also to gain a bit of cash aswell, I did reasonably well I constantly crushed the $5 SNG's and was making around $150 a week however now I have been in full time employment for the last month my game has really suffered I am finding it hard to string together any winning session at all and my bankroll is so pathetic its not worth calling a bankroll.

Basically my question is: Is my game getting worse as a result of playing only a couple of hours every night instead of the 6/7 hours I was playing every day a couple of months ago? or am I just experiencing variance?

Would like peoples views on the matter and also would be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else other than myself?

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say a mixture of both tbh. When I play long sessions my game clicks after an hour or two and play well for the rest of it, but if i dont have a lot of time or a session broken up i don't feel like i play my very best. I play much better at weekends without time constraints around my session. This mixed with variance may be whats happened

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like Ben says it's probably both. If you have HEM / PT3 then check your stats pre and post employment (including how you perform against EV) and see if you can spot anyting there that's different between the two.

M

megl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you tired when you sit down to play poker after a long day at work?
Do you have work-related worries in the back of your head that takes focus away from the tables?

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^

"Then StressAway is your friend! Buy StressAway now and you'll see that all your work's worries are gone and you can focus on your poker game and make lots of money!

StressAway...It really kicks the stress' ass!"

Couldn't help myself Megl, ur post reminds me of those ads :p

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well there were always ups and downs,don;t be scared about that ;)...so,the fact that you have earned 150$ a week playing 6-7 hours per day could be your problem because it could became your habit...now the fact you have less time for poker,try to get used to smaller gains,don't be impatient-i think thats your problem....i know my english is horrible but i hope you get the point :D ;)

I

investshen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To me,it was the psychological effect.Because you said you have earned 150dollars a week and this made you think you must earn that amount of money.So once you did not make it, you started trying to find other factors to help you explain the difference.Remember sometimes,you must also depend some element of luck.
Perhaps,they are right that the result of your commitment to your poker or stress from your work which made you easily make some stupid decisions.

But don`t worry, that is just temporary:)

Best regards
Investshen

pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find my play suffers a lot as I get more tired so if your new job is causing you to start your session tired, that might have something to do with your change in fortunes. I can also tell a big difference if I'm hung over or not ha ha! My advice, get plenty of rest and then play when you're full of energy and concentration.

M

mrmood6007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely think it's a little bit of both. There is a huge difference between playing the game for fun for only a few hours and playing it for employment for days on end. Since you most likely have never grinded those kinds of sessions before, your mind and body are most likely physically exhausted. As a result, your results are suffering, and you are actually losing a lot more than winning. I would re-evaluate whether you would really like to stick playing to poker full-time, where winning is an absolute necessity, rather than just playing recreationally, where any money you make is just extra. I think it's really tough for you psychologically when you play full-time, because you know you need to win, rather than just having fun and trying to win when you are a recreational player. Good luck!

K

kingmurda219

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok my opinion! You haven't played in a while so you just have to get back in to the groove of things.
I stopped playing for 5 months and i was losing,i had to remember my old strategy

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ha, that doesnt surprise me at all

1st, you didnt have all day to make a poker profit ... now you had to do it in a couple hours ... i bet you played a little faster and got out of your comfort zone

then you probably lost some confidence and started making mistakes you otherwise would not have

finally, let's face it ... you needed the money ... you had to be disciplined ... now you're making money and poker is more for fun and less for needed $$$

then, of course, the old variance thing ... can't ever ignore that ... just analyze your play a little and get back on track ... if you were winning , then i believe you'll be winning again soon

Last edited:
shuperstar

shuperstar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fact I don't like much about the game for me is that when I bring my A game on the table I get smashed By new players. Of course I get stressed out cause it seems that Playing reckless get me ahead at times but its not how i like to play. Maybe that's my downfall, not being aggressive when i need to be.

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fact I don't like much about the game for me is that when I bring my A game on the table I get smashed By new players. Of course I get stressed out cause it seems that Playing reckless get me ahead at times but its not how i like to play. Maybe that's my downfall, not being aggressive when i need to be.

well when you play "wreckless" or let's hope aggressive is it vs. a tight table?

at an aggressive table you need to tighten up ... play the players/table ... easier said than done sometimes, but if you can adjust quickly and play both styles well and have fun playing either style ... then it should help

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
finally, let's face it ... you needed the money ... you had to be disciplined ... now you're making money and poker is more for fun and less for needed $$$

Some good answers that all play into it - but I'm guessing the above.

My big turn around was when I had to win or quit entirely. I tightened up considerably. When my bank roll got back up there into a comfort zone I started loosening up - not by conscious decision, it just started creeping in. I had a downswing/flatline in my chart. Started asking myself (and be sure to ask yourself), "Would I have played that hand a couple months ago?" The answer was a resounding NO. I was going back to the dark side - dabbling with and hoping to hit hands. I got back on board the "Be Smart" program and my chart started swinging up again.

A lot of it was as simple as hand selection.

E

Eyekall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably a mixture of both and I agree Poker is a frustrating game...:)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe you were on a heater before?

I

ilovepoker5000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I get good results when i start playing, but with time ticking away i get tilt becaus eof some hands and my bankroll [-] is hurting more and more. So take paus emore offen, clean your mind, and play like 1st minute you started :)

pokerwhispererA

pokerwhispererA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think main reason why you think your game is getting worse is motivation. When you dont have a job and no other income your concentration is much higher. There are several aspects of poke game you have to be focused in. When there are no other worries and private distractions, you are true poker player. Poker we no other job is not hobby, it is profession. :)

Top 10 Games