poker rampage strategy.

2huskys

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker rampaging is a fun strategy now and again and patrik antonius built his roll by buying into bigger games short stacked on occassions. So far the only strategy I have seen is to play 6 max, buy in for around the min, Play ak,aqs aj in position. Play bigger pairs like tt+. wouuld you play them normally or just shove preflop and hope to get called? I have played kq and dont really see a reason not to because it is a strong hand 5 or 6 handed and it would be rare to get out kickered. I raised preflop and hit a q on the flop then just shoved because there was a flush draw hopping he thought i was bluffing. is it best just to play out the hand pot committed to get max value?

what do you do with smaller pairs? ive just been calling to set mine in small pots and multi pots is that the best stratgey?im guessing fold suited connectors unless you get really good pot odds to play them?
whenever i move up to like 0.1 0.25 etc its very easy to get blinded away waiting for hands.any advice for that?

Last edited:
alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I understand you correctly you are asking about playing a short stack strategy. I doubt you will get much help on that here as it is not well thought of in the poker community.

While I don't like it, if you insist on playing a SS game read Ed Miller's "Getting Started in Hold'em". He covers short stack there. In the long run you will make more money and become a better player learning to play with full stacks.

GL

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I understand you correctly you are asking about playing a short stack strategy. I doubt you will get much help on that here as it is not well thought of in the poker community.

While I don't like it, if you insist on playing a SS game read Ed Miller's "Getting Started in Hold'em". He covers short stack there. In the long run you will make more money and become a better player learning to play with full stacks.

GL
There's SS strategy and then there's rampage.
Rampage is just going all-in with one of the 5 top hands, doubling your buy-in, then moving on to another table.

SS strategy is more or less what OP is getting at IMO.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read harringtons book vol. 2 I believe. He covers short stack play very well.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker rampaging is a fun strategy now and again and patrik antonius built his roll by buying into bigger games short stacked on occassions. So far the only strategy I have seen is to play 6 max, buy in for around the min, Play ak,aqs aj in position. Play bigger pairs like tt+. wouuld you play them normally or just shove preflop and hope to get called? I have played kq and dont really see a reason not to because it is a strong hand 5 or 6 handed and it would be rare to get out kickered. I raised preflop and hit a q on the flop then just shoved because there was a flush draw hopping he thought i was bluffing. is it best just to play out the hand pot committed to get max value?

what do you do with smaller pairs? ive just been calling to set mine in small pots and multi pots is that the best stratgey?im guessing fold suited connectors unless you get really good pot odds to play them?
whenever i move up to like 0.1 0.25 etc its very easy to get blinded away waiting for hands.any advice for that?

It's not quite that simple. Or, it can be, I guess, but you can go further if you don't make it that simple.

You don't play all hands exactly the same. You still need to consider position and reads on players. Small pairs are fine for shoving if think players will call with anything just because you're short, but you can't "play suited connectors" looking for good pot odds or set mining with small pairs because you've denied yourself implied odds by buying in for the minimum to begin with. Just shove if you think you're ahead or if you have enough fold equity. Standard short stacking strategy applies, although you can probably go slightly more aggressive since it's all about doubling so you can go up a level.

If the table is tight, play LAG. If the table is loose, play tight, but you still have to look for opportunities or you get blinded away.

Mind you, I've only ever managed to get from $10nl to $50nl so only two levels up. There are more detailed strategies on the net for rampage "rules" and approaches. We used to run rampage competitions here but I haven't seen one for a long time.

Last edited:
absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read harringtons book vol. 2 I believe. He covers short stack play very well.
That is for tournament poker, completely different...

By the way, nobody likes a shortstacker

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:rolleyes:

Y'know OP... threads like this one might give people the impression you're ignoring all the good advice you've been given in all the other threads you've started.

Don't get me wrong, what you do with your bankroll is up to you and you're free to donk it off in whatever way you see fit. I'm just saying that for someone who complains as much as you do much about how bad they run and how they can't run up their bankroll because of bad beats you sure do seem determined to tempt fate.