Poker Psychology... Moving up in stakes.

T

troubledman

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whats up everybody. Need your help/opinion.
I've been playing on UB and pokerstars for a while. I have been playing 1cent/2cent cash games on both. A few months ago I moved up to playing 2cent/5cent games on pokerstars with success. Been up and down but I have adjusted. More wins than losses.
Recently I tried to make the same move on UB. UB does not have 2c/5c. It goes from 1c/2c to 5c/10c. So far it has not gone well at all. I feel nervous when I play. I'm not playing my game. I find that I'm playing ultra tight or wayyyyyy to loose. It seems like the raises are ridiculous and play is crazy. This leads to a lot of frustration which causes me to make dumb decisions. I dont know. Is it me or am I simply out classed for now? Is it a bad run? Why would it go well on pokerstars but not UB? I usually play with $5. Thats half of the max buy in. Is this wrong as well?
I need some help.
Thanks in advance.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
buy in full

make sure your using bankroll management and not playing with scared money

gl

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much is your total bankroll? I'm guessing 10nl (5c/10c) is probably too much for your bankroll to handle, which is why you are playing so nervous. Not a good idea, and very easy to go bankrupt. You should probably have at a bare minimum 20 100BB buyins at the level you are attempting, so playing 10nl (5c/10c) would mean having a bankroll of AT LEAST $200 -- and for most people usually more to allow for some buffer.

Buying in for anything less than 100BB or the table maximum is usually not a good idea if you have confidence in your game. The reason is you want to be able to cover the stacks at the table so that you have more equity in each hand. One simplified example of this is if you have the nuts and your opponent has second nuts -- both stacks are going in but if you only have half a stack you miss out on a lot of potential winnings.

A

ALSALEFTY

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its in the Mind

Cause-and-effect are an absolute, we are a natural result of the sum of our thoughts. So we are made or unmade by ourselves. Through our choices of thought we either rise up or tear down.
As a being of power, intelligence, and love, and the master of our thoughts, we hold the key to every situation.
We can transform ourselves or dig a bottomless pit. The choice is ours and ours alone. As I search and investigate and am a conscious master of my mind, I obtain knowledge of myself that leads to understanding, wisdom, and power.

Trick your mind to believing your playing .01/.02, after some time your comfort level will meet the demands.:)

T

teddykgb47

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there,

Just a few random thoughts:

1) you should stay at the lowest possible limits for a longer time - wait until you have enough money to feel perfectly comfortable on the higher stakes. Gather up 50 buyins if you have to, don't rush it and take the time to lean.

2) Always buyin for the maximum at the table.

3) there is no difference whether your playing at UB, Pokerstars or any other room. You might get that feeling sometimes, but it is simply poker variance. It can get much, much worse than that (and I mean REALLY much worse), so try to use this to your advantage and simply realize that this is poker and how the game is played -- it will save you some frustration later on.

4) try not to jump from room to room too often for now - having to get accustomed to the new feel of a poker room, the interface, and a few other factors, might impact your game badly at the moment. Choose a poker room and stick to it for 1 or 2 months, and see how it goes from there.

best of luck