Poker Podcast suggestions?

S

sh3poker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have browsed the ipod store for some decent poker podcasts but didn't come across anything with substance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If they still have the FullTilt audio podcasts, they were short and basic but pretty informative to new players. They were short lived and lacked much substance though. I have downloaded all their video podcasts but rarely have time to watch a video since I listen to these mostly in the car. I suppose I could listen to video podcasts as long as they didn't use much visual stuff.

I'm currently on the 2p2 podcasts, and there's a ton of them (two years worth of weekly editions, so >100 of them). And they're long, ranging from 1-3 hours each. Some good stuff, and some not so good, but it is interesting to hear Malmuth and Sklansky talk after reading them for so long, and hearing some of the inside scoop on various poker pros, events, etc.

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seconding the 2+2 podcasts, they're pretty good most of the time. There are also some good options over at pokerroad.com.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By the way the FullTilt video podcasts are the same episodes that air on some TV channels. SportsSouth around here airs these all the time, I had a bunch recorded on my DVR before I realized they were all available on iTunes.

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are some I listen to, you should be able to google these:
deuceplays -Cash game strategy (best imo)
Ante up magazine podcast
bunch on pokerroad
pocket fives has one (mostly online tourny info)
rounders radio lots of soso stuff (I don't listen to this)
pokerdonkeys (Bad audio, crass, explicit, low poker content and inconsistent production, but I find it amusing)

A

AndyMartin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Seconding the 2+2 podcasts, they're pretty good most of the time. There are also some good options over at pokerroad.com.

I'll agree to the 2+2 pokercast. FANTASTIC stuff(and they're Canadian!) I just could never get into the pokerroad.com guys.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was gonna post something like this so helpful bump! Lol. I've listened to ante up but was wondering what else is out there. I'll look out for 2p2.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want heavy strategy then Bart Hansen's Deuce Plays is quite good. For news and interviews then 2 plus 2 is good but long - those guys can chat for close to 3 hours sometimes.

Another cash based podcast is 'Cash Plays' and this is quite good sometimes - they vary between NLHE, PLO and even some stud strategy also sometimes so a decent variety.

Personally I'd like to listen to a podcast that aimed specifically at micro / low limit players which none of the above really do.

F

FITEMAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a night worker and listen almost exclusively to poker related podcasts every night. I prefer the podcasts that have mostly strategy content as opposed to those that offer news and poker pop culture.
Tournamentpokeredge.com has a good podcast for MTTs, although there is only one episude every 2 weeks. Being relatively new, they only have a library of 5 or 6 podcasts to date.
Another good one in my opinion is grinderschool. They offer mostly strategy content for cash and MTTs. They have been broadcasting for 3 years and have some exceptional stuff in their catalog.
Thirdly, 2008(?) wsop ME runner up pro Dennis Phillips and amateur Paul Harris team up for a weekly podcast from St. Louis or Phillips calls into his partner in St Louis from where ever he is playing that week. This podcast offers a combination of news, interviews and strategy. I think it is one of the better ones that offer a variety of poker topics.
I also listen to Pocket 5s, CardRunners, 2+2, RoundersRadio and Ante Up Magazines podcasts.
I hope that helped.

FITEMAN

m'E runner up Dennis

F

FITEMAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reply to Tangerene

Personally I'd like to listen to a podcast that aimed specifically at micro / low limit players which none of the above really do.[/quote]

Check out grinderschool

FITEMAN

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cheers Fiteman I'll check those out!

K

killingbird

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, I'd be curious about any more "strategy" oriented ones. I listen to the 2+2 Podcast which is good for news, interview and gossip...but mostly i want to hear good players talking poker strat and theory.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Listened to a couple of the tournamentpokeregde podcasts and found them to be very useful. Also the grinder school is good too.

Thanks for the tips Fiteman and killing bird

F

FITEMAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kbird...are you on the down low?

Killingbird....how come you didn't announce that you are on the staff at TPE? Your stuff is great and so is the site? Anyway, I for one am glad you are a member here and I'm hoping to pick your brain a little.
I have been shopping and if I do bite the bullet and get a coach, it's a tossup btwn TPE and 1 other site(the Maven).

H

Herbie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For strategy I liked Killer Poker Analysis on Rounder's radio... Haven't really tried the other shows there but this one is good IMO...

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently started listening to HeyBall over at deuces cracked ... They seem to talk more about drinking than poker though.

M

Madmansam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I listen to Bart Hanson on deuceplays, free at duecescracked.com through my iphone all the time. He is mainly a live player but he does a great job interviewing top players and discussing hands and cash game strategy with them. He does some fantastic hand analysis as well. I actually started listening a few months ago, but started at episode one and have been working my way through the archives.

K

killingbird

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Killingbird....how come you didn't announce that you are on the staff at TPE? Your stuff is great and so is the site? Anyway, I for one am glad you are a member here and I'm hoping to pick your brain a little.
I have been shopping and if I do bite the bullet and get a coach, it's a tossup btwn TPE and 1 other site(the Maven).

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been severely lacking in keeping up with forum posts. Mostly due to black friday and then moving to Vegas for the summer for the WSOP. But since i decided to brick my tourney super early today i was surfing my list of forums and remembered this one.

Glad you like the podcast. We started a new one just for the WSOP that is much less "formal" called Tournament Poker Edge Live. It can be found on the site or just search that title in iTunes. We are actually recording a new one tonight.

The "regular" TPE podcast will resume once the WSOP is over.

Good luck all and feel free to hit me up anytime with questions or whatev.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
not the Maven