Poker etiquette

A

athena69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Have I done something wrong?
Playing online poker, just 'graduated' from zynga to real money microstakes.
Played 6max cash game, only three of us in the game though, so the play got intense and I got beat by two better players. I bought in again and then others joined so it was a full 6. The two players I originally played with, still there. One of them did really well so I typed in chat 'Nice one'.( as I appreciated their skill as a player) The other One (of them) typed back 'OMG'. Then they immediately left the game!??
Think I made a 'Faux pas'. Why?

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol

You didn't do anything wrong and honestly idk what his comment was to or whom.

Literally don't worry about it.

A

athena69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, I was worried. Feeling better after your reply.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, if I were you I wouldn't be worried by it, you did nothing wrong.

If anything they're probably the ones with bad etiquette, since they were beating you and then ran away as soon as other players turned up...

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i was curious so i looked it up it seems to be french for "false step" yup like carl trooper said dont worry about it

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you know how to read hands? Can you tell if your skill is beginner, intermediate or advance?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Played 6max cash game, only three of us in the game though, so the play got intense and I got beat by two better players. I bought in again and then others joined so it was a full 6. The two players I originally played with, still there. One of them did really well so I typed in chat 'Nice one'.( as I appreciated their skill as a player) The other One (of them) typed back 'OMG'. Then they immediately left the game!??

As a rule, pay no attention to chat. Exception would be if you stay an active member here & qualify to play in CC free rolls & buy ins. The chat there is friendly & occasionally insightful.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe they were cheating on you and thought you caught them,

it goes like that:

hero: ¨Nice one¨ (thinking ¨i caught you¨)

villain 1: ¨OMG¨ (meaning: ¨he knows¨)

so they left. END OF STORY.

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a rule, pay no attention to chat. Exception would be if you stay an active member here & qualify to play in CC free rolls & buy ins. The chat there is friendly & occasionally insightful.
I know the poster is new to micro games but I have to say you may and could be missing out in things if you dont look at chat. its nice to know a player goes on tilt or is complaining of bad luck because it all effects his play and poker mind set. not looking at chat or turning on the stats part to not see it could hinder times in which you can get some chips .
Good Skill At the tables

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I know the poster is new to micro games but I have to say you may and could be missing out in things if you dont look at chat. its nice to know a player goes on tilt or is complaining of bad luck because it all effects his play and poker mind set. not looking at chat or turning on the stats part to not see it could hinder times in which you can get some chips .
Good Skill At the tables

I tend to think there is little correlation between chat & play online, better to focus on position, stack sizes, betting patterns & such, at least at tables with strangers. Chat, time to act & such require one to make too many assumptions, in my view.
Lot of different ways to acquire information online, but especially for newer players, focus on the table. ;)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't see anything wrong with the comment or the timing of it. People are free to think or leave the game based on what ever reason they feel like.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great move....just 2 words to get rid of them both....
One shark on megatilt because you said nice one to the other player.
The other shark leaving because of getting a hard one due to that nice one.

Anyone stating chat can't be helpful ?

SloPowers

SloPowers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play your game - if you want to say anything in chat, be polite and respectful! Don't read 'into' what anyone else says as it likely has nothing to do with you. Good luck on your journey!

A

athena69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Think I'll leave chat alone from now on though.
It seems as though people only use chat to insult people anyway!

P

pokrshot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, paying attention to minute details is good, but worrying about such stuff is really unnecessary. Because you've got so much other real poker stuff to know, learn, manage and master. Good luck with real money games!

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Think I'll leave chat alone from now on though.
It seems as though people only use chat to insult people anyway!

Use that to your advantage. Usually the ones spouting off will pay you if your patient. I don't really chat unless if its a CardsChat game, but I do watch the chat.

1blanqueanu1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In life always with all respect.
The only way to improve at poker is studying logic must play to practice and then review the hands you juice. Regarding the chat, if you play for real money it is best not to use it except for some specific cases

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's no etiquette in online poker .....if u follow the chat talk u r going get insulted more often than not.... just don't take it personally, its not we know the persons we are playing with (most of the times)
U can keep on eye on the chat to get people's thoughts and its quite entertaining at times too...just don't dwell on it...

intents09

intents09

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

OMG means "Oh my God". I'm pretty sure he said that and left because he didn't like the way the hand went. It was said in frustration. So his actions weren't related to your comment, just the timing seemed like it.
I chat on small sites occasionally where I see the same players every day in sit n go's or even mtt's. But usually not much more than the occasional nice hand or thank you.

J

johnsonmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't worry about it either. But when you play poker online there is players playing all over the world, speaking different languages. Sometimes things are lost in transition.

mendiolacubicle

mendiolacubicle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just ignore the chat as much as possible, or don't chat at all. My reason is that, information how small or puny is it you are still giving it away by chatting. Just stick to the game and focus on your hand. :)

sandund

sandund

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, I was worried. Feeling better after your reply.
You Didn't Do Anything Wrong. Anyway, it's nice to know that some people actually use their time for implementing positive habits in their lives. :)

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi. yes I agree with the peeps who have said ignore the chat. Sometimes it is innocent, when its lost in translation, sometimes people use it to try and tilt you or get a reaction. Best way ignore it, unless you recognise someone who you have played with before and who was polite to you. GL on and off the felt.

:D :D :D