Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
C

caldquest

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pretty interesting, short, worth a watch...

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Meh.

cliffs so people dont waste 12 minutes:
- guy blames online poker for making him flunk out of college/getting him in trouble
- Doc. shows the "other side" of online poker, some online pokerstars pro who has made millions and dresses like a bum

silverfox432

silverfox432

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Film with Dusty Schmidt

Film with Dusty Schmitd

worth a look

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Worth a look after the first three minutes which is pointless.
A good subtitle could be "Responsible Guy versus Irresponsible Guy"

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Poker player with a plan vs. Gambler without a plan

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good subtitle could be "Responsible Guy versus Irresponsible Guy"

LOL! Yeah, this clip was posted in another thread and I couldn't help but think it was stealing -- not poker -- that "ruined" that guy's life.

Oh well, it make for good entertainment. :)

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Add to it the fact that a guy who should probably be holding down a job (since he won't attend his classes) decides instead to grab his dogs and hike across the breadth of North America for some poorly defined cause-

But the first 3 minutes sure made Dusty look like a complete boob. Why the hell would he do that? Now I can't admit I spent money on his books. :p

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Add to it the fact that a guy who should probably be holding down a job (since he won't attend his classes) decides instead to grab his dogs and hike across the breadth of North America for some poorly defined cause-

LOL! The job thing got me as well! In fact, this is exactly what I said in the other thread:

Or, it may be the case that this guy was bored out of his mind with his classes, didn't really want to go, was going to fail out anyhow, stole $10, pinned everything wrong in his life on internet poker, found a cause that somehow "legitimizes" the fact that he still doesn't have a job, found Jesus, and is enjoying his 15 minutes.
Seriously, these are supposed to be the best years of your life, kid. Get out there and do something for crying out loud!

But the first 3 minutes sure made Dusty look like a complete boob. Why the hell would he do that? Now I can't admit I spent money on his books. :p

Did he look bad? I hadn't really noticed. I mean, next to that walking the earth kid, anyone would look good. :)

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I"m currently in college. I took an extended break from online poker in all facets (including posting on this forum). Why? Because I knew I did not have the time for both and I had to set a priority.

IMO addiction is rarely the fault of the outside object (in this case poker) and much more the psychological make-up of the individual.

The irony of this Doc is that you could argue Dusty is more addicted to poker than Hop-along and his dogs. The only difference is BR management and healthy dose of skill.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I"m currently in college. I took an extended break from online poker in all facets (including posting on this forum). Why? Because I knew I did not have the time for both and I had to set a priority.

IMO addiction is rarely the fault of the outside object (in this case poker) and much more the psychological make-up of the individual.

The irony of this Doc is that you could argue Dusty is more addicted to poker than Hop-along and his dogs. The only difference is BR management and healthy dose of skill.

I like that.

Good points, pretty much summed it all up. One particular player can be more of an addict than someone who loses everything, the difference is indeed as stated.

Phil Ivey among all the pros is probably the most addicted/gambler and poker player, the only difference is he does it in a healthy way and responsible way. He knows when to quit and so on.

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like that.

Phil Ivey among all the pros is probably the most addicted/gambler and poker player, the only difference is he does it in a healthy way and responsible way. He knows when to quit and so on.

Actually, I've heard him directly say that the only bets he likes to make need to be so high his hands start to shake.

Personally, I feel this is at an unhealthy level. He has such amazing skill at poker however that he can make these bets with full confidence he can win it back eventually.

Compare his play on P.A.D. with his focus on the prop bets with someone Like Ferguson who (almost) never bothers with these things.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As someone who has gone through a few "programs" - dude, you couldn't be more right on!

And yeah, maybe this guy wouldn't be "Walking the earth getting in adventures" if he would have addicted himself to bankroll management - something Dusty has pretty much confessed too.

VINCENT: How long do you intend to walk the earth?
JULES: Until God puts me where he want me to be.
VINCENT: What if he never does?
JULES: If it takes forever, I'll wait forever. VINCENT: So you decided to be a bum?

essambb

essambb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
whats brian hasting is doing in this movie

juice561

juice561

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
huh?

didn't learn anything from this vid...

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As someone who has gone through a few "programs" - dude, you couldn't be more right on!

And yeah, maybe this guy wouldn't be "Walking the earth getting in adventures" if he would have addicted himself to bankroll management - something Dusty has pretty much confessed too.

VINCENT: How long do you intend to walk the earth?
JULES: Until God puts me where he want me to be.
VINCENT: What if he never does?
JULES: If it takes forever, I'll wait forever. VINCENT: So you decided to be a bum?

Pulp Fiction reference. Nice!

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
didn't learn anything from this vid...
It was not educational - just a masterbatory film student project. He could have hit a home run if he had not diddled the first indulgent 3 minutes away and actually had an ending. The middle is pretty good. If I were him I'd go back and re-edit and reshoot and complete the project.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is a fun little thing. Changing poker addiction to dog walking addiction is probably healthier... :rolleyes:

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe this guy wouldn't be "Walking the earth getting in adventures"

LOL! I love it! This is exactly the reference I was thinking of when I called him that "walking the earth guy".

Oh, man. Best dialog movie ever. "I got my technique down and everything, I don't be tickling or nothing." :)

C

caldquest

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
filmmaker

It was not educational - just a masterbatory film student project. He could have hit a home run if he had not diddled the first indulgent 3 minutes away and actually had an ending. The middle is pretty good. If I were him I'd go back and re-edit and reshoot and complete the project.

I love the variety of feedback I've gotten with this. Nothing like reading posts about your own film to get honest reactions. Truth is, its my first doc, for the festival I submitted it to I had to keep it under 15 minutes, and plan on making a full length version...that is if the feedback is good from this lil project. If it sucks let me know, if you wouldnt mind seeing a full length let me know as well. Dont want to spend the time if the project doesnt have interest from the poker community...

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PM me dude - I won't list my credits/resume here but connect with me and we can talk and I'll give you my IMdB.
I love the variety of feedback I've gotten with this. Nothing like reading posts about your own film to get honest reactions. Truth is, its my first doc, for the festival I submitted it to I had to keep it under 15 minutes, and plan on making a full length version...that is if the feedback is good from this lil project. If it sucks let me know, if you wouldnt mind seeing a full length let me know as well. Dont want to spend the time if the project doesnt have interest from the poker community...

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So let me get this straight one guy takes a professional responsible well behaved attitude to something and becomes a millionaire. Another guy with a complete lack of control who could have been well off decides to be reckless and then gets himself in trouble he handles tis by stealing and lying. He acts like an idiot then decides rather trying to make a positive change to his to simply go on a long walk for attention. The self pretentious *****. Maybe if he actually took some displacing and control in his life he could achieve something but no he just wants to be a ***** try to sound impressive or get attention for stuff that doesn't require huge effort. And this damages the reputation of the game for the rest of us. what a ****ing scum waste of space.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I am guessing you are not seeing this as a noble man and his dog go for a walk kind of story?
So let me get this straight one guy takes a professional responsible well behaved attitude to something and becomes a millionaire. Another guy with a complete lack of control who could have been well off decides to be reckless and then gets himself in trouble he handles tis by stealing and lying. He acts like an idiot then decides rather trying to make a positive change to his to simply go on a long walk for attention. The self pretentious *****. Maybe if he actually took some displacing and control in his life he could achieve something but no he just wants to be a ***** try to sound impressive or get attention for stuff that doesn't require huge effort. And this damages the reputation of the game for the rest of us. what a ****ing scum waste of space.

C

caldquest

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Apparently I am unable to send PM due to my newness to the site. I take it you have dabbled in film yourself Mediablitz?

Lukesilver, yeah, there hasnt been a ton of sympathy for Michael...that wasnt really the intent. The one thing I can say is that he made a big mistake, he knows it, and he's trying to make a change. I give him props for that. His efforts may seem self indulgent to some, but for the 15 minutes of attention he may get, he has got months and months alone on the road with his thoughts.
The point of the film was to show the two extremes....a film showing what USUALLY happens probably would get even less attention. Although It goes without saying that there are much more stories like Michael than Dusty. I actually interviewed Michael "The Grinder" Mizrachi for this same film and he kind of summed it up the best.... "if youre gonna play the game, there's gonna be a lot of people walking across the country....its a tough game." I wish I could have fit that in somewhere....maybe in the extended version?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you end with the bit about donkeys? It really didn't fit and just seemed odd.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The one thing I can say is that he made a big mistake, he knows it, and he's trying to make a change.

Is he? I got the impression that he was trying to raise awareness about the dangers of poker. But I don't feel that poker was his problem. If he hadn't stole, he could still be in school if he wanted. To me, he comes across as someone who was a little "lost" to begin with, so this trek doesn't really have any meaning. To me, at least.

The point of the film was to show the two extremes....a film showing what USUALLY happens probably would get even less attention. Although It goes without saying that there are much more stories like Michael than Dusty.

I think showing the extremes is a great idea. Your footage of the success extreme is great. I just think on the other side, the representative for the extreme is weak. He seems like someone who probably wanted to walk across America anyhow. If you had someone who had been successful, but who is now really feeling the pain due to his poker, maybe lost his house or his marriage, then to me that is the extreme of loss. But a flighty college kid is already liable to walk the nation for some cause or another.

I actually interviewed Michael "The Grinder" Mizrachi for this same film and he kind of summed it up the best.... "if youre gonna play the game, there's gonna be a lot of people walking across the country....its a tough game." I wish I could have fit that in somewhere....maybe in the extended version?

LOL! Yeah, that would be good.

You've seen the criticism, but on the plus side, I actually watched the entire film. I almost never do that. So you made an entertaining piece.

Why did you end with the bit about donkeys? It really didn't fit and just seemed odd.

I think it helped highlight the extremes. On the one hand, some guy with a lot of money is talking about these so-called donkeys, and on the other, here is a guy with nothing -- one of the donkeys. For every big winner there is a big loser.