Which Poker Book shall I read?

D

dark0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Please can someone tell me which poker book should i read. I play poker for three months and i would like to enhance my poker skills fast. I heard Harrington on Hold'em is good . What do you think?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And of course, try the forum search function as well. There are numerous threads now that deal with book recommendations. A five minute search will result in a lot of feedback.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of good books out there. I would and do read lots of them. Different people with different styles.

I always look fro the author, so, yes, Harrington and Brunson for me!!!

A

Allsopp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start off with "Holdem Poker for advanced players by Sklansky" for the foundation to your game and then move onto "Super System by Doyle Brunson" and integrate elements of the book into the way Sklansky teaches you to play and you will be the ultimate poker player.

Side note:

Make sure you read the chapter in Super System on Limit poker, it teaches you alot more about No Limit than the No Limit section does!

Good luck!

G

Guin36

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I made a post about a book I like from a fellow blogger who focused on online poker. I had a link so I think my thread got zapped for breaking rules so look it up on Amazon.com.

Scott Gallant - Pressure Poker.... I liked it and the guy is a great read online as well... not sure if I am allowed to post a link to his blog... do a search for doubleas and you should find him.

Hope the police on the site don't kill me for this reccomendation.

A

atkmani

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imao only poker book you need to read is Harrinigton than practice some years and maybe look for next book.
cheers /atk

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super Systems 1 & 2 are must owns - especially if want tips and information on playing other games besides Hold Em. If you really want to become a better overall poker player, learn how to play as many games at a competent level as you can.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start off with "Holdem Poker for advanced players by Sklansky" for the foundation to your game
I disagree. The book is called "for advanced players" for a reason, and someone who's been playing for three months will not get the mileage out of that book for another year or so. At least. Don't get me wrong, it's a great book and I've read it several times. That said, I do not recommend that you simply "skip to" this book just because it has the word "advanced" in the title. If you make this your first poker book, you're not ready for it. Trust me.

"Getting Started in Hold 'em" by Ed Miller is a book that I'd recommend anyone who's just starting out read. Learning the basics is a lot more important than learning the finer points of, let's say, inducing bluffs or when not to use the free-card play. Getting Started has the added benefit of covering not just limit, but NL and SnGs as well. I hear good things about Lee Jones' "Low Limit Hold 'em" as well but haven't read it myself yet.

Cheers,
FP