PLO/8

M

MrBubbleMan

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone play regularly to this fantastic game?

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This game seems to get little love around here. Too bad. I quite enjoy it.

G

genleemb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep ... that is what I primarily play online. Agreement with the little love statement above, but its not just here that its a red headed stepchild.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, unfortunately this game seems to get little attention anywhere. I think it would easily be my favorite game if it were wider-spread. Oh, and if there were any decent literature available on it anywhere out there so I'd quit (hopefully) draining my BR when I play it. I've found quite a bit about LO8, but that's really not the same game at all, so I just "wing-it" when I play, strategy-wise.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This has been my game of choice lately. And sometimes for kicks I'll play some NLO/8

dwbrown7680

dwbrown7680

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like PLO8 but tend to play PLO primarily because of the difference in the dynamics. PLO8 is fun but there aren't tons of games for it running and my playstyle tends to lend more towards PLO than PLO8. But it's def fun to play.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I think it takes a whole different mindset to play PLO8 v. PLO. Just happens I prefer PLO8. I think PLO is far more popular, though I just don't care for it that much.

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like PLO/8 and hate PLO. There's a big difference in the games.

M

MrBubbleMan

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes they are completely different..
I prefer PLO/8 thought because in this game u suffer a lot less swings than in PLO (obviuosly if u're good) :D

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes they are completely different..
I prefer PLO/8 thought because in this game u suffer a lot less swings than in PLO (obviuosly if u're good) :D

Lol, yeah, I keep telling myself that....... Unfortunately, I'm not listening to myself.....and my BR keeps on its downward plunge:eek: . I actually don't lose very much at this game, simply because I don't play it that much, and I know I'm not very good at it.

I'd really like to improve because I really do enjoy the game. But making meaningful progress without anything to guide you (no good literature that I'm aware of) is rather difficult. So, for now, I just play very small stakes and usually only when I just can't face grinding yet another NLHE session.

M

MrBubbleMan

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just play very small stakes and usually only when I just can't face grinding yet another NLHE session.

Maybe this is the reason for your downswings at this variant :)
PLO/8 requires a lot of concentration, specially at small stakes..
For instance u can't have, at this game at the small stekes, a positive non showdown winnings line so u have to almost ever win at the showdown..

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I know. Like I said I just play for a change of pace. Really small stakes stuff, so no worries about the losses ('course I'd always LIKE to win, but...).

As I said earlier, this game would easily be my favorite if.....

1) It were wider spread. I'm on Carbon and there's usually only 3-4 tables running there. These 3-4 tables will always have 80% the same players on them, day-in, day-out. Obviously much more experienced at the game than I am.

2) There were any decent literature available on the game so that I could actually learn and get better. I can find LO8 stuff easily enough, but little/no PLO8 stuff so I'm in the dark about even basic strategy/tactics/bet-sizing/odds etc, etc for this game.

Since it's not widely spread, and I have little/no idea what I'm doing, I basically just play for fun and a change of pace.